[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MELVIN GORDON- re-signs

Docniner

Seen posted on another site that RB MELVIN GORDON has resigned with the DENVER BRONCOS. He signed a one year deal worth up to $5 million dollars. Now I guess.JAVONTE WILLIAMS value takes a hit. Early preseason rankings have him as a top 10 RB. Now with Gordon there again it'd be hard to have him in the top 10. I think he can still be an RB1 if they give him a 70/30 split.with Gordon. I'd like to see a higher split but who knows. If the BRONCOS want to make a serious run at the superbowl they'd better give WILLIAMS a heavy workload of close to 20 carries a game and use Gordon to spell him. Also Gordon could vulture goalline carries as well which hurt Williams.                                    When he came out last year I thought he was.the best rb in the class, even better than Najee Harris but didn't get a chance to prove it. Then I thought he'll bust out this year cause Gordon could likely be gone. Not the case now. Yes Gordon can still be productive but Williams is more talented and hopefully the Broncos understand that and feature Williams.as.much as they can. We'll just have to wait and see now but I will be moving Williams down a bit in my rankings. What.arw.you.guys thoughts on Williams now that Gordon has resigned with the team and where are you gonna rank Williams now?

As I stated in the Free Agency thread.......

Denver was going to bring in a back to complement Williams no matter what; whether through free agency or the draft.  Williams is not a bellcow.  Wasn't in college, wasn't gonna be in the NFL.  Now, does this cap some of his massive upside?  Sure, probably.  But if you were planning on Williams getting Jonathan Taylor like amount of usage, you were just kidding yourself.  

But look, Williams is the younger, fresher, more explosive back at this point.  Gordon was brought in to keep him fresh.  I still think Williams will put up lower-end RB1 type of numbers.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. :shrug:

Yeah, probably a smart move to bring back Gordon with a 17 game season and then more if they make the playoffs. Actually when I think about it the signing could benefit Williams. Less carries.than a workhorse RB1.may lead to better production with those carries. I had said a 70/30 split was too optimistic. I think 60/40 is doable and Williams.could be a good rb2 with upside on your fantasy team. Think this signing moves him back into the 2nd round in drafts.

Williams had 183 and Gordon 181 in 0.5 ppr.  Williams gets a few more receptions. They were #16, 17 overall for RB's. Gordon was injured 1 game and Williams none. I didnt see much change throughout the year in carries or attempts. Adding Russ should make everyone more productive but it could be a bit sphincter tightening each week if Gordon keeps getting a lot of work. They don't have a lot of incentive to not overuse Gordon, he's on a one year deal. It is a risk, if the offense is that much better you are likely in good shape. I Gordon gets injured, you are in fantastic shape. But if this split keeps happening without much change in production you are going to likely overpay

Edited by purplemonster