[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 10 GameDay Chat

League_Champion

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Did Saturday change much with the team, who was calling the offense/defense plays, key starters etc?  Or did he just talk to them, give some motivation and the good players played well and beat a crappy team? 

Yes Josh McDaniels is a bad coach, don't know that this win in his first game means Jeff Saturday is a good or better coach. 

Its one game I may check out this week when watching highlights. 

He started Matt Ryan which the previous coach said the plan was to play Ehlinger the rest of the season. The whole situation is a bit strange, who exactly was making that call..irsay or Reich. But regardless Ryan had a shoulder separation, was out 3 weeks, and Saturday brought him back. 

17 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

He started Matt Ryan which the previous coach said the plan was to play Ehlinger the rest of the season. The whole situation is a bit strange, who exactly was making that call..irsay or Reich. But regardless Ryan had a shoulder separation, was out 3 weeks, and Saturday brought him back. 

Ahh right, the whole situation with injury potential and Ryan's contract. Most of what I had read earlier indicated this was a team (i.e. owner, GM, management) decision, not the coach's call. If so, then its even more bizarre, if they forced him to sit Ryan when healthy, then allowed the new coach to override that. 

Sounds like another dysfunctional family type of sports management situation. 

I was looking for more info, thought this story below might have it based on the headline, but there's nothing in there about why Ryan wasn't playing, whose decision it was etc. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-11-power-rankings-no-doubting-tua-and-the-surging-dolphins-new-team-at-no-1-packers-biggest-riser/

This article does indicate that Irsay was behind the decision to bench Ryan.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2022/11/15/23457303/how-did-former-falcons-fare-in-week-10

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I am spitballing but one thing I am wondering is if Reich told Irsay Ehlinger was ready, then he wasn't. So Irsay canned Reich even if Irsay agreed with the decision initially. The whole thing is murky, who knows exactly what went down

We never know, but we get bits of info after some people leave an organization of retire. Many of these owners have a shady side, certainly Irsay has his. 

There was a big deal made initially about Ryan's contract being the reason, and Irsay being behind it. Not sure how credible that was, this is one of the articles about it. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/25/matt-ryans-contract-is-the-main-reason-he-wont-play-for-the-colts-again-this-year/