[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barkley, will he sit out a game

Heat725

He has to sign at some point or he won't get credit for this year and we'll do this all over again next year. I think he signs soon-ish and plays this year, but w/o training camp and regular practices he won't be as effective and may be more injury prone once more.

4 hours ago, Big John said:

He needs to sign the franchise offer before getting the $10M.  Currently unsigned so he can't be fined for holding out.

I think he will eventually sign.

thanks for correcting me. Seems like he will sign if you look at it, sitting out a year doesn't make much sense. I don't know how likely a trade would be, and he likes it in NY, he just wanted a little extra money, but not that much different, 19.5M vs 22M or so he wanted. RB's have a hard job and on top of it are penalized because it is so hard and injury prone. Not a great position. https://www.forbes.com/sites/djsiddiqi/2023/07/19/why-saquon-barkley-is-fighting-losing-battle-against-the-new-york-giants/?sh=40bab09622d2

7 hours ago, purplemonster said:

thanks for correcting me. Seems like he will sign if you look at it, sitting out a year doesn't make much sense.

Didn't make much sense for Bell to sit out the year either yet he did it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tdybaz said:

He has to sign at some point or he won't get credit for this year and we'll do this all over again next year. I think he signs soon-ish and plays this year, but w/o training camp and regular practices he won't be as effective and may be more injury prone once more.

You want players in their final contract year with everything to play for. The worst situation is when they play in the hope that they do not get injured. And that's what is probably going to happen, he won't be as motivated to gain yards and score at all costs, he'll be more concerned with not blowing out a knee or getting otherwise injured.

3 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

Didn't make much sense for Bell to sit out the year either yet he did it.

Absolutely, but that also seemed to usher in this era of not paying/respecting RBs and I don't see the other RBs making that same mistake of literally losing a complete year (not signing the tag before week 10) and being stuck on that year of their contract/tag.

While great to get him on the field for sure, have to wonder if he still plays with the same effort that he would have with a longer deal? Many players, RBs to be sure, trail off after getting their big pay day. And you could argue he is in a contract year looking for a big pay day next year (fingers crossed). But any injury of note this year likely undoes the good he's generated coming off his first healthy year since 2019. Be interesting. I'll assume he plays the only way he knows how and just hopes to stay healthy.

41 minutes ago, DMD said:

While great to get him on the field for sure, have to wonder if he still plays with the same effort that he would have with a longer deal? Many players, RBs to be sure, trail off after getting their big pay day. And you could argue he is in a contract year looking for a big pay day next year (fingers crossed). But any injury of note this year likely undoes the good he's generated coming off his first healthy year since 2019. Be interesting. I'll assume he plays the only way he knows how and just hopes to stay healthy.

I hope so as well. If he couldn’t cash in on his production  from last year it certainly isn’t going to happen if he has a down year even if healthy for the whole season

Edited by Finn5033