[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santa, when did Magic wear off?

irish

When it comes to you or your kids, when did you/they stop buying in and how did you/they feel about it?

All religious aspects aside, Santa is just a physical representation of Christmas for children to help them understand and relate to the idea of selflessly giving of oneself in the spirit of Christmas. Once children are old enough to understand that "Santa" represents an ideal and not a physical being, the magic will stay alive as long as you keep it alive and give of yourself (not specifically monetarily) in the spirit Christmas. So the simplistic answer is never. The magic has never worn off and never will, regardless of the belief in an actual Santa Claus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

All religious aspects aside, Santa is just a physical representation of Christmas for children to help them understand and relate to the idea of selflessly giving of oneself in the spirit of Christmas. Once children are old enough to understand that "Santa" represents an ideal and not a physical being, the magic will stay alive as long as you keep it alive and give of yourself (not specifically monetarily) in the spirit Christmas. So the simplistic answer is never. The magic has never worn off and never will, regardless of the belief in an actual Santa Claus.

Great way to put it. However, I do believe for most, that the idea of there not actually being a big, jolly elf that leads other little elves in a place called the North Pole, is a little bit of a downer when they first find out.  

• Like 2

Maybe I just matured emotionally earlier than some because it never affected me at all. The same for my kids as far as I know.

In fact, I remember when I was a kid pretending that I still believed for a couple of years. Not because I didn't think I would get presents, but because I enjoyed the whole aura of Santa Claus and didn't want to spoil it for everyone else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Maybe I just matured emotionally earlier than some because it never affected me at all. The same for my kids as far as I know.

In fact, I remember when I was a kid pretending that I still believed for a couple of years. Not because I didn't think I would get presents, but because I enjoyed the whole aura of Santa Claus and didn't want to spoil it for everyone else.

I did the exact same thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Merry Christmas Gil. I hope you and your family are blessed and well. I wish you nothing but peace and memories of time well spent.

I like it, well said. Hopefully, the bells still ring for ya. 

On 12/14/2023 at 8:30 PM, irish said:

When it comes to you or your kids, when did you/they stop buying in and how did you/they feel about it?

My son started middle school this year and while he hasn't specifically said he no longer "believes", he just doesn't seem as excited this year.  So I think the magic has worn off to a degree.  When the topic does come up,  the conversation will be based around something similar to what @rajncajnsaid

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 10:25 AM, rajncajn said:

On 12/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, rajncajn said:

On 12/15/2023 at 11:24 AM, irish said:

I did the exact same thing. 

Great posts guys!  They mirror my experiences as a kid and as a parent.  We all still pretend with a little grin, my oldest son especially.  Because, why not?  There's enough BS in the world not to!  

Merry Christmas to you and your respective families.  I hope "santa" brings you both a lot of Fantasy Points!

• Thanks 1