[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most valuable backups

purplemonster

I'm generally not a huge believer in grabbing handcuffs.  If the situation is split between two backs (Harris/Warren, Spears/Pollard, Robinson/Ekeler, Zeke/Dowdle, Achane, Mostert, Gibbs/Monty, etc.), I typically either pick one that I like better than the other, or if the situation looks extra messy, stay away altogether.  That said, there are a few (or at least a couple) of obvious ones.  If you have CMC, I think it's a no-brainer to try to get Mason, within reason.  Mid-draft in a 16 or 20-round redraft.  I would say the same about Kyren/Corum, but Corum seems to be getting drafted earlier and earlier (and I'm not wasting two picks in the first 7-8 rounds on one backfield). 

Bottom line.... I'd rather grab six backs that I like than six backs on four teams just to make sure I've locked up a couple of backfields.  That's counter-productive, IMO. 

I'm also not a huge fan of 'cuffing your RBs.  But I did grab Jordan Mason in a couple leagues (when he wasn't too expensive) as a lottery ticket only because CMC's usage last year was somewhat concerning and... well... Shanahan.  

A few other guys I'd consider "stashes"?  

McLaughlin

Chandler

E. Wilson

Akers

McMillan

Wicks

Iosavis

49 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I'm generally not a huge believer in grabbing handcuffs.  If the situation is split between two backs (Harris/Warren, Spears/Pollard, Robinson/Ekeler, Zeke/Dowdle, Achane, Mostert, Gibbs/Monty, etc.), I typically either pick one that I like better than the other, or if the situation looks extra messy, stay away altogether.  That said, there are a few (or at least a couple) of obvious ones.  If you have CMC, I think it's a no-brainer to try to get Mason, within reason.  Mid-draft in a 16 or 20-round redraft.  I would say the same about Kyren/Corum, but Corum seems to be getting drafted earlier and earlier (and I'm not wasting two picks in the first 7-8 rounds on one backfield). 

Bottom line.... I'd rather grab six backs that I like than six backs on four teams just to make sure I've locked up a couple of backfields.  That's counter-productive, IMO. 

I tend to agree, and usually avoid split backfields. I think in one league I took Jaylen Warren because he was relatively cheap but usually I avoid it. But in one league I know I am light on RB's, so can't afford to have James Conner go bust on me so drafted Trey Benson. 

Ones I was thinking besides Benson (and Jordan Mason as mentioned before)

Jonathan Brooks CAR (2nd round pick) behind chuba Hubbard, rehabbing his ACL tear from last Nov so should miss a few games yet. Not that Chuba is good enough to handcuff, but that Brooks may straight up take his job. 

Ty Chandler Vikes

Edited by purplemonster

Mason is the only true backup worth using a lottery ticket on. He's worth holding onto the entire season because we know what a RB can do in that scheme. I would also consider Allgeier. I have Charbonnet stashed in a few leagues; I don't have Walker and I have no problem dropping Charbonnet if I need to. 

Edited by Shaft

4 hours ago, Shaft said:

Mason is the only true backup worth using a lottery ticket on. He's worth holding onto the entire season because we know what a RB can do in that scheme. I would also consider Allgeier. I have Charbonnet stashed in a few leagues; I don't have Walker and I have no problem dropping Charbonnet if I need to. 

Good point on allgeier. I keep thinking of him related to that dreadful offense last year but should be more valuable 

12 hours ago, Shaft said:

Interesting. I had Walker and had wanted to grab Charbonnet, but somebody else grabbed him about 6 picks earlier, and I ended up with Allgeier. 

The Browns are going to be an interesting situation at RB, with Chubb still recovering and some others banged up it looks like D'Onta Foreman could be the initial #2 (some list Strong). I used my last pick on Foreman, who had been cut a few days earlier, but they had a roster spot for him and gave him a one year contract.