[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo time ...

Grits and Shins

Heard on the radio today that Romo would get the start week 16 against Washington and Henson would likely get the start week 17 against the Giants ... unless Romo looked good against Washington then he could possibly start again against the Giants.

It's NOT soon enough ... one of them should get the start THIS week against Philly.

I just got goosebumps...woo-hoo go ROMO! :bigshock:  :moon:  B)  :D  :yay:  :D  :moon:  :D  B)

613595[/snapback]

Nice Avy :D

I gotta believe that if you would seriously consider starting Romo or Henson weeks 16 and 17 then you aren't in your fantasy playoffs anyway.

613672[/snapback]

Is he worth a roster spot in a QB heavy keeper league? ie dropping somebody like Marty Booker for?

Seriously, I know nothing about this Romo kid.

Is he worth a roster spot in a QB heavy keeper league?  ie dropping somebody like Marty Booker for?

Seriously, I know nothing about this Romo kid.

613694[/snapback]

:D

manure if I know I haven't seen him play ... that's been my point several weeks now ... that we need to get Henson and Romo on the field so we can see what we have. I don't expect I know any more about Romo than you do ...

From dallascowboys.com and the Dallas Morning News - Romo has replaced Henson as the #2 QB for this weekend against Philly and may see some action if/when things get out of hand.

613919[/snapback]

Wow, one bag game and Henson has already been demoted? I get the feeling that Parcells doesn't like this guy for whatever reason.

At least I feel a bit more confident now in my decision to drop Witten.

Yeah, I get that feeling, too. Parcells is stereotyped as one who doesn't have much love for unproven rookies, and while I think there is a kernel of truth in that, he has started rookies before, i.e. Curtis Martin.

I think that the elevation of Romo over Henson as #2 QB is just for this game. Romo has a little more experience then Henson and that will count for something against Philly's defensive schemes. I still think Henson is the better prospect of the two. The money they're paying him as compared to Romo would seem to bear that out.

This is not good - I've got Witten as my only TE and my playoffs start next week. Nothing like going into the playoffs with a huge ? at one of your positions.

Yeah, I get that feeling, too.  Parcells is stereotyped as one who doesn't have much love for unproven rookies, and while I think there is a kernel of truth in that, he has started rookies before, i.e. Curtis Martin.

I think that the elevation of Romo over Henson as #2 QB is just for this game.  Romo has a little more experience then Henson and that will count for something against Philly's defensive schemes.  I still think Henson is the better prospect of the two.  The money they're paying him as compared to Romo would seem to bear that out.

614134[/snapback]

Romo actually started the season as the #2. Then sometime during the season Parcells very quietly promoted Henson to the #2 spot. Then just this week brought Romo back up to the backup spot.

I got to see Romo play in college he does have the skills to play at this level.

He was also on the team last year so this is his 2nd season in Bills System and since he was a rookie last year it's the only system he's even seen at the Pro Level.

During Training Camp his first few outings were ok, if not spectacular. But his last outing he went something like 12 of 14 for 150 yds or something like that. Although it was against KC, at least it was KC's starting D, so you have to like his accuracy.

His arm strength is pretty good as well.

Not that my opinion matters but I do like him more than Henson.

Although you have to admire Henson's ability to turn 8 starts at Michigan into to different Pro Contracts in 2 different Pro Sports.

Like you say, Henson has almost no experience playing football, he just has talent. He started a grand total of EIGHT games in college nearly four years ago. Not only does he have to shake off rust but he has to learn nearly the whole game. Imo, he's 2-3 years away from being a viable option at starting QB.

I doubt the Cowboys or any other NFL team have the patience to wait that long. We can all thank the salary cap for that. A best case scenario for him would be similar to Warner, Garcia or Maddox. Bounce around for awhile, get some experience playing everyday in the CFL, Arena League, or semi-pro ball and then luck into his big break with an NFL team.

Like you say, Henson has almost no experience playing football, he just has talent.  He started a grand total of EIGHT games in college nearly four years ago.  Not only does he have to shake off rust but he has to learn nearly the whole game.  Imo, he's 2-3 years away from being a viable option at starting QB. 

614217[/snapback]

IIRC, Brady only had about one year's worth of starts at Michigan as well. Of course, Henson is probably NOT the next Brady but, like Brady, he did very well in his limited number of starts. Unlike a lot of other schools, Michigan's recruiting prowess translates into depth at the QB position and typically does not allow for freshman and sophomore QBs to be starters.

I disagree that Henson is 2-3 years away from being a viable NFL QB (IMO, he could be productive towards the end of next year IF he were allowed to develop as a starter between now and then), but agree that a stint in the CFL or NFL Europe would benefit him. Given Parcells' lack of patience with inexperienced players, that may be his only option next year.

I'm by no means a Cowboy homer nor fan nor do I know anything about this Romo kid.  Is this something the fantasy world should be excited about or even care about?  Not being sarcastic...seriously wondering.

613670[/snapback]

Are you serious? Anyone who's got Witten, Jones, or Keyshawn is obviously VERY interested in this situation.

Like you say, Henson has almost no experience playing football, he just has talent.  He started a grand total of EIGHT games in college nearly four years ago.  Not only does he have to shake off rust but he has to learn nearly the whole game.  Imo, he's 2-3 years away from being a viable option at starting QB. 

I doubt the Cowboys or any other NFL team have the patience to wait that long.  We can all thank the salary cap for that.  A best case scenario for him would be similar to Warner, Garcia or Maddox.  Bounce around for awhile, get some experience playing everyday in the CFL, Arena League, or semi-pro ball and then luck into his big break with an NFL team.

614217[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Great athletes don't just come into the NFL and imediately becaome successful, especially at QB! Really, every position except for RB rewards experience over athletic ability. I'm not saying RBs don't get better with experience either, just that it's easier to be good as a rookie etc...

Most QBs take 3-6 years to develop into a viable NFL starter, and that's guys who played 2-4 college seasons. Henson will be a late bloomer or bust, plain and simple.

I've maintained for a while that Parcells has gone the way of Pat Riley. Great coach who eventually lets it get to their head and starts beleiving that they are bigger than the game, and that their coaching will outperform the players on the field.

That's when you end up with Riley dunking his head in a vat of water to show his team how to play 'like it's your last breath', and Parcells going for it on 4th down in Dallas territory for no apparent reason, not wanting to play Henson to protect his ego and then demote him to #3QB.

Parcells has a great history, and is probably the greatest coach I have seen in my lifetime (though he will be losing that title to Belicheck anyday now) but he is turning into a self agrandizing jacka$$. He always was, but now it is hurting his team rather than helping it.