[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody else hate HTH in fantasy?

hindukid

thats why you have your andy reid's, bill belichick's....and then you have your Mike Tice's..or even Dave Campo's....somebody has to suck..

614295[/snapback]

Now that was just plain mean. :D

I might have a different strategy than Grits but I did have the highest scoring team in my league and I am in the 2nd Rd of my leagues playoffs so I don't think I suck.

And as far as Reid & Belichick, they are good examples of two coaches being very successful utilizing different strategies.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opponent that week had Favre so I opted to go with Walker over Mason so that Walker's points would neutralize Favre's.

That was the week that Walker scored 35 points,

Favre scored 42 and

Mason put up 4.3,

so starting Walker over Mason was a 31 point swing and

Walkers 35 turned Favre's 42 into a 7.

It worked well for me that week for sure.

614124[/snapback]

I haven't read any of the posts after this one so this might have already been said, but I think this example proves that the theory is totally bogus! Because if your opponent had started McNair you would have left 31.7 points on your bench! This could haunt you if your league awards $ for total points, or if it used total points as a tie breaker.

I haven't read any of the posts after this one so this might have already been said, but I think this example proves that the theory is totally bogus!  Because if your opponent had started McNair you would have left 31.7 points on your bench!  This could haunt you if your league awards $ for total points, or if it used total points as a tie breaker.

614386[/snapback]

Very good point!

But to reverse it and hedge a WR with a QB is not a bad strategy IMO IF you have some evenly matched QBs to decide between. You know that if the WR goes off, your QB will share in the points (who else is going to get him the ball). If he doesn't, your QB may still have a good day by throwing to others, at least just as likely as your other QB choice to have a good day. So if I were to have 2 QBs that I think are pretty evenly matched (I don't KNOW before hand who will be better at the end of the day), I would be inclined to hedge the opponents WR by playing the QB from the same team. This circumstance is not going to happen too often though.

614379[/snapback]

Very often a QB has a mediocre day but one of his WRs has an outstanding day. For example a QB can throw for 180 yards and 2 scores ... that's pretty mediocre. But he could have focused on 1 WR .. and that WR could have pulled in 8 catches for 100 yards and both scores.

Isn't his argument predicated on the 2 QB or WR options being pretty even? If they're even to begin with, hedging is probably a good idea if you're play the QB b/c ALL of the WRs points are necessarily tied to your QB (i.e. for every point he gets, you get a fraction), whereas your QB has the potential to exploit his other WRs as well. On the other hand, if you have the WR, hedging is less attractive for the same reason - for every point your WR scores, you KNOW your opponent's QB will be racking up points.

All that said, I'd only go out of my way to hedge a WR with a QB if it's one of the top-tier WRs (e.g. TO or a healthy Moss) b/c they often have ridiculously huge, outcome determining games - a risk well worth hedging against in my opinion. I wouldn't go hedging Mason with Volek if I have a better QB option on my bench, but I'd consider hedging TO with McNabb or Moss with C-Pep, even if I had Manning on my roster. Of course, matchups would also come into play.

But there is also strategy involved in H2H where you can try and neutralize an opponent, especially in the WR position. A few weeks ago I faced the Manning owner in my league and I had Harrison going so I knew that everything Harrison caught would cancel out those points from Manning. That was the game when Harrison had 3 TD's so I definiteyl neutralized manning that day.

613995[/snapback]

Stategy starting Harrison? Seems more like common sense.

H2H is ALL about the luck of the draw. Last season i went 6-8 and finished with the highest point total in the league. This year I in one league i finished 9th out of 12 but had more points than 5 teams in front of me, I'd say that is luck or bad luck, but by no means is it anything else.

People tend to highlight point totals (as opposed to record) when they talk about how good their team was, but I rarely hear anyone mention what I consider to be the most telling characteristic - consistency. I've had a team finish highest in total points that didn't make the playoffs and, overall, I had to consider that that team just wasn't very good. While I absolutely mopped up and crushed everyone in the second half of the season (this was 2 years ago when I had Henry, Green and Portis as my RBs), I dug too deep of a hole in the first half of the season to get out of it. If I had spaced my points out over the length of the season, I'd likely have won the league.

There are other teams (and I'm sure you see them all over the place as well) that will score 190 points one week and then put up consecutive 100s for the next 2 weeks. While this would average 130 ppg in my league and therefore be towards the top of the heap, I wouldn't consider this team very "good." I'd much rather have the team that scores 130 each week, as would anybody.

Them's my unsolicited 2 cents. My bottom line = the way to avoid the "luck" factor is to assemble a team that is consistent. I try to avoid guys like Reggie Wayne etc. like the plague - while he can explode and get me 40 points on anay given Sunday, chances are I won't even need those points from him (though they will pad my total points) . . . the days where he gets 5 points, though - they kill ya.

If you are in a league with strangers I guess that is fine ... but H2H is all about going straight up against a buddy, smack talking and then bragging about kicking his ass.

FF wouldn't be near as fun in a total points league.

613859[/snapback]

I totally disagree. I'm in it for the money, not to be "that guy" who always talks shyt and always loses. I never talk shyt in any of my leagues.

On to the topic. I hate HTH leagues also, you're right on with your logic on this topic. I've bytched about it several times as well on this forum.

In my big money league, approximately 75% of the pot ($2800) goes to the top 4 in points (14 team league) another 20% goes to the HTH winner and runner up. The remaining 5% rewards $20 to each week's highest point getter.

I think this is the fairest and best way because it weights the overall point winners more (which it should) but still keeps the losers of the league something to play for at the end of the season. (Note: In our league, 2 people made the playoffs who weren't in the top 6 in points.)

Now that was just plain mean. :D

I might have a different strategy than Grits but I did have the highest scoring team in my league and I am in the 2nd Rd of my leagues playoffs so I don't think I suck.

And as far as Reid & Belichick, they are good examples of two coaches being very successful utilizing different strategies.

614380[/snapback]

lol..I'm just having fun....seriously, do what you want...if you win...then kudos :D

my point is just that when playing FF, it's just like gambling...play the best of your percentages...and my opinion is by playing the matchup...you're just limiting yourself...

People tend to highlight point totals (as opposed to record) when they talk about how good their team was, but I rarely hear anyone mention what I consider to be the most telling characteristic - consistency.  I've had a team finish highest in total points that didn't make the playoffs and, overall, I had to consider that that team just wasn't very good.  While I absolutely mopped up and crushed everyone in the second half of the season (this was 2 years ago when I had Henry, Green and Portis as my RBs), I dug too deep of a hole in the first half of the season to get out of it.  If I had spaced my points out over the length of the season, I'd likely have won the league.

There are other teams (and I'm sure you see them all over the place as well) that will score 190 points one week and then put up consecutive 100s for the next 2 weeks.  While this would average 130 ppg in my league and therefore be towards the top of the heap, I wouldn't consider this team very "good."  I'd much rather have the team that scores 130 each week, as would anybody.

Them's my unsolicited 2 cents.  My bottom line = the way to avoid the "luck" factor is to assemble a team that is consistent.  I try to avoid guys like Reggie Wayne etc. like the plague - while he can explode and get me 40 points on anay given Sunday, chances are I won't even need those points from him (though they will pad my total points) . . . the days where he gets 5 points, though - they kill ya.

614526[/snapback]

I too love consistency in my team.

I scored my lowest score of the season week 1 at 91.96 points. Over a 14 week season my average score is 118 ... here are my scores with the league average in parenthesis:

91.96 (108) W

131.42 (105) W

104.54 (109.20) L

112.72 (99.30) L

103.46 (106.4) W

109.38 (99.7) W

115.50 (109.80) L

109.36 (111.20) W

127.64 (106.8) L

110.44 (111.00) W

121.82 (104.60) L

160.00 (113.18) W

109.44 (125.70) W

146.22 (111.50) W

:D I noticed an oddity there. Of the 9 times I scored over or at the league average, 4 of them resulted losses. I was under average only 5 times and managed to get wins 4 out of those 5 times. I ended the season with the 4th highest point total ... although last week I moved up to 3rd.

I know that there are isoated incidents, but total points and head to head ususally work themselves out. The highest scoring teams generally make the playoffs, and the lowest ususally do not. Sure, there are anomalies sometimes, but I think it's a great system.

:D ... you are so wrong.

614076[/snapback]

There is no logical way to argue with Blitz on this point...the opposite rationale seriously waffles my mind...Like Blitz said...If an opponent starts say Roethisberger on a given week, would you bench a Marvin Harrison for an underacheiving Hines Ward, just in case Roth has a good game? Of course not. You always start the guys who you think will score more, your opponent's lineup should never playin into your lineup decisions at all.

there isn't a fool proof one...but never let your opponents decision dictate what you are going to do...it only limits you...all you can do is play your studs and play the best matchup....

allowing your opponent's lineup to dictate your lineup just shows you're a rookie at this....seriously...

614185[/snapback]

Precisely. :D

There is no logical way to argue with Blitz on this point...the opposite rationale seriously waffles my mind...Like Blitz said...If an opponent starts say Roethisberger on a given week, would you bench a Marvin Harrison for an underacheiving Hines Ward, just in case Roth has a good game?  Of course not. You always start the guys who you think will score more, your opponent's lineup should never playin into your lineup decisions at all.

615347[/snapback]

I don't think anyone was ever arguing that. I didn't check every post, but I'm pretty sure he was arguing that hedging should be considered when your 2 options are otherwise pretty even. In some cases, I tend to agree.

There is no logical way to argue with Blitz on this point...the opposite rationale seriously waffles my mind...Like Blitz said...If an opponent starts say Roethisberger on a given week, would you bench a Marvin Harrison for an underacheiving Hines Ward, just in case Roth has a good game?  Of course not. You always start the guys who you think will score more, your opponent's lineup should never playin into your lineup decisions at all.

615347[/snapback]

Read my original posts on this.

I never said I would bench a stud to use this strategy.

I only use it when faced with choosing 1 of 2 players of similar abilities and potential for points.

Grits has just spun this to make it sound like I would sit a stud to use this strategy.

I always start my studs.

I simply use this method when the players in question are baiscally equal in abilities and match ups.

I would never start Keyshwan over Harrison, Harrison was a bad example, it just happened to be the one I used because it happened that way.

But if I was having to make a choice between two WR's of similar ability and potential as my 2nd WR and I was facing one of their QB's I would go with the one who's QB I was facing.

614092[/snapback]

Grits - how can you ignore this? The fact that you continue to argue this puzzles me.

Not ignoring it ... waiting for him to confirm that he felt a WR going against Jacksonville had an EQUAL matchup with a WR going against Indy

615445[/snapback]

Because his whole argument hinges on this fact ... and I don't believe ANYBODY here believed that was an equal matchup going into week 3

H2H still has a few teams that are out of the playoffs w/weeks left in the season. i play both formats for decent $ and every year there's always a fight btwn 4-6 teams to at least finish second or third. plus we have the high point winner for the week take the transaction fees + $75 so that keeps it more interesting.

Here are DMD's comments from that week:

Tennessee vs Jacksonville

Match Against the Defense: McNair does not have big games against the Jaguars and they are not too keen on giving them either. Last year he had two games with 187 and 166 yards passing with one score in each. The Titans will be making any mistakes by Leftwich count big and that could adjust field position heavily in the Titans favor. Regardless, you can be certain that the Jaguars will not be rolling up any big scores which force the Titans to throw.

Look for good defense by both teams but the main fantasy player here to be Chris Brown trying to run out the clock.

And he projected Mason to have 70 yards and no TDs ...

Green Bay vs Indianapolis

Match Against the Defense: The Colts offense has been high-powered this season but fortunately the defense remains below average and ripe for the exploiting.

Favre should turn in his best game of the year here with a probable need to keep scoring and facing a secondary that has allowed over 600 passing yards and three scores in only two games.

Chris Brown had no problem gaining 152 yards and a score last week, so expect that Ahman Green notches his third straight 100+ yard effort this season.

Javon Walker should have the best matchup this week and should score but Robert Ferguson will also be a factor. In a points race like this seemingly should become, the duo and even Driver will be seeing plenty of passes, particularly later in the game.