[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody else hate HTH in fantasy?

hindukid

I know that fantasy is based off real football and in football head to head is essential to the game, but in fantasy its really pointless. Your opponent has no bearing on your team or your score. There is no strategy to neutralize your opponent. It just seems to me, that half the game is complete luck. You have no control over your opponents score.

Personally I prefer the all play record. All play is your record agasint all the other teams in the league. So if you finish 3 out of 12 in a week, your all play is 9-2. HTH almost killed me this year. I had the most points scored in our league, and the best all play record. My all play winning percentage was over 70%. But my record was 5-8. I lost six times in weeks where i finished in the top 4 of 12. Fortunately our league awards 2 points for a win and 2 points if you finish top 4 in a week and 1 pt for top 8. So i picked up 21 points from weekly rankings. I finished 4th.

In the playoffs I played the 5th place team. His team had third most points and third best all play record. He had pretty bad luck with who he played also. In our game we both scored 30 points higher than anybody else in the league. I ended up winning becasue I scored the all time league high. But I feel bad for my opponent. I was really the best team in the league and he had the misfortune of playing me, because I was ranked 4. Teams 3 and 6 played each other and averaged 60 points less than our two teams. In our league teams 2,3 and 6 are all not very good. They only got their seeds, because they had the fortune of playing somebody terrible every week.

Most people like this HTH system, but I think it just adds way too much luck. Opinions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point and that is why people want to keep head to head. I am pretty tight with a lot of the members. Its a law school league. The guy I beat in the playoffs is my roommate. But about half the opponents I wouldnt really bother to call up and talk trash too. I guess maybe we just need to get more involved.

We had that same thing in my local. Everybody talked smack during the draft and then most of us didn't really talk to each other until the following year's draft. That changed once we started using the internet. I have had more cummulative fun in the two years since than I had in the 6 previous years. On the internet, it is easier to communicate and alot easier to hide behind. Back to your post, head to head is the way every league should be. If it wasn't for luck, timing, and the occasional off-day, the Yankees would win the World Series every year. What fun would that be?

I hear what you're saying, it seems like every year there is a really good team in my local that misses out on the playoffs due to very unlucky H2H scheduling...this year it happened to me in one of my leagues.

I finished 1st in all play record, 2nd in points scored, yet I was 8-6 and missed the playoffs (only 4 teams make it in a 3 division 12 team league). I basically finished in the top 3 in scoring almost every week but if I finished 2nd a given week, I always seemed to play who finished 1st, and if I finished 3rd, I played the guy who finished 1st or 2nd...also happened to be in by far the best division and division record came into play for the only wildcard spot (which I think is a truly worthless criteria...should always be a total points thing IMO).

It is extremely frustrating to say the least to have a team that I still feel is without question the best in the league, maybe the best fantasy football team I've ever owned, yet miss the playoffs for the first time in 8 years of playing fantasy football. With all of that said though, it happens...I enjoy the H2H matchups and wouldn't change that aspect, sometimes you just get unlucky I suppose. It does suck to be "that guy" this year though, for sure.

Edited by Skrappy1

If you are in a league with strangers I guess that is fine ... but H2H is all about going straight up against a buddy, smack talking and then bragging about kicking his ass.

FF wouldn't be near as fun in a total points league.

613859[/snapback]

thats exactly why I run a H2H league...

put your money where your mouth is..

H to H is obviously frustrating to a high scoring team that loses some games they shouldn't. But in our league that "usually" works itself out -- a top two team has never missed the playoffs (7 years). As commissioner, I like the H to H because it keeps the teams more involved. Even if you're the lowest scoring team, on "any given Sunday" -- that seems to replicate the NFL, especially this year.

I like H2H simply because in a Total Points League there is always a few owners who are out of it by the mid-season point.

In my league last year I was the 2nd Highest scoring team and I didn't make the playoffs, (missed by 1 Game)

but the 2nd Lowest scoring team made the playoffs due mainly to matchups. His efficiency rating was actually over 90% mine was only around 82%.

So in terms of "coaching", or playing the right guys, he did much better than I did so in my opinion he deserved the playoffs more than I did.

Then this year I prepared my lineups each week with much more scrutiny. This time I was THE highest scoring team and I made the playoffs and my efficiency rating was 89+%.

There is obviously a lot of luck involved in H2H but there is also a lot of luck involved in Total Points.

But there is also strategy involved in H2H where you can try and neutralize an opponent, especially in the WR position. A few weeks ago I faced the Manning owner in my league and I had Harrison going so I knew that everything Harrison caught would cancel out those points from Manning. That was the game when Harrison had 3 TD's so I definiteyl neutralized manning that day.

Total points is soooooooooo dry and boring........H2H keeps people (even the sucky teams) interested at least for the better part of the season...especially if all teams qualify for the playoffs (highly recommended).....We seed the top teams with bys as needed (depending on # of teams in league)

Total points is soooooooooo dry and boring........H2H keeps people (even the sucky teams) interested at least for the better part of the season...especially if all teams qualify for the playoffs (highly recommended).....We seed the top teams with bys as needed (depending on # of teams in league)

614003[/snapback]

yuup, it gives incentive to play spoiler

But there is also strategy involved in H2H where you can try and neutralize an opponent, especially in the WR position. A few weeks ago I faced the Manning owner in my league and I had Harrison going so I knew that everything Harrison caught would cancel out those points from Manning. That was the game when Harrison had 3 TD's so I definiteyl neutralized manning that day.

613995[/snapback]

That was a good strategy to start Marvin Harrison!!

:D:D

613995[/snapback]

WRONG.

You should always start the players you think will score the most points regardless of who your opponent is starting. Always.

Of course starting Harrison is a no brainer but the concept is valid with any QB/WR combo.

614074[/snapback]

I would never start Keyshwan over Harrison, Harrison was a bad example, it just happened to be the one I used because it happened that way.

But if I was having to make a choice between two WR's of similar ability and potential as my 2nd WR and I was facing one of their QB's I would go with the one who's QB I was facing.

You should feel fortunate you are in a league that recognized the weaknesses of H2H for FF purposes and be happy you kicked you roommate's ass in the playoffs.

I agree that the all play record truly shows which team is the best, but I wouldn't want to switch my leagues to that format for reasons that were mentioned by others. However, I do look at the all play records in order to judge for myself how good (or bad) my team is in relation to the other teams in the league. That's how I evaluate my season because that reflects the stuff I can control (drafting the right guys, getting the right guys off the WW, starting the right guys week to week, etc). I can't control the schedule so I honestly don't worry about it.

I would never start Keyshwan over Harrison, Harrison was a bad example, it just happened to be the one I used because it happened that way.

But if I was having to make a choice between two WR's of similar ability and potential as my 2nd WR and I was facing one of their QB's I would go with the one who's QB I was facing.

614092[/snapback]

:shakeshead: ... please do provide an example of when you did this during this last season ...