[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers

Bill Swerski

Despite the Colts' OT victory today, I now believe that the Chargers are more than a lucky team that got by playing a soft schedule. I was skeptical before, but I'm now a believer. These guys are good on both sides of the ball and are a legitimate SB contender.

The Chargers are 11-4 for one reason: They dominate the line of scrimmage. Whatever they lack in their secondary, they make up for with their pass rush. I haven't seen Manning that uncomfortable in the pocket for years (not even against NE). Their offensive line also did an INCREDIBLE job of pass protecting today. They held Freeney, who just schooled the best OT in the league last week, to one sack... and it didn't happen until the third quarter. Through the first 40 minutes of the game, Brees had enough time in the pocket to make a ham sandwich.

And I could go on and on about Brees, Gates, and LT, but that would be preaching to the converted.

Much respect from Indy. :D

Agree 100%.

Chargers are one heck of a team. They did an unbelievable job today of mixing their plays, and on defense, they were dominating the Colts o-line. Questionable play calling, specifically the pass play that allowed Freeney to get the sack that took them out of FG range, and poor clock management, Brees couldn't decide whether to spike the ball or run a play, probably cost them a much deserved win. Chargers are for real.

Edited by CaptainHook

Coming from you two, Bill and Captain, means alot to this long-suffering Charger fan. I was expecting a gloat-fest, but you guys just showed me alot of class. I was proud of the effort the Bolts made. It came up just a little short. Peyton was the difference. You gotta admit---> that game was GOOD ENTERTAINMENT!!!! :D

That was the best game I've ever attended.  I will talk about that game, due to the record and the comeback, until the day I die.

632078[/snapback]

Don't forget---> in addition to Peyton's record there were TWO other records broken in that game!! LT broke the consecutive-game TD record for RB's, and Gates got the new record for season TD's by a TE. Unbelievable performances in a great game!

That was the best game I've ever attended.  I will talk about that game, due to the record and the comeback, until the day I die.

632078[/snapback]

Don't forget---> in addition to Peyton's record there were TWO other records broken in that game!! LT broke the consecutive-game TD record for RB's, and Gates got the new record for season TD's by a TE. Unbelievable performances in a great game!

632086[/snapback]

Just watching it on television was a treat, i can't even imagine how cool it would have been to be at the game! Two great teams this year... gotta love it!!!

632086[/snapback]

Agreed. Gates looks like the next Gonzo and LT very well may be the "West Coast Payton."

Agree 100%.

Questionable play calling, specifically the pass play that allowed Freeney to get the sack that took them out of FG range, and poor clock management, Brees couldn't decide whether to spike the ball or run a play, probably cost them a much deserved win.

632055[/snapback]

I forgot to mention the kick-off coverage for the Chargers. Not good. Not just on the Rhodes TD, but pretty much the whole game.

Just watching it on television was a treat, i can't even imagine how cool it would have been to be at the game!  Two great teams this year... gotta love it!!!

632089[/snapback]

yep. I was lucky enough to see the Pitt/Bal, Giants/Cin game here...

I forgot to mention the kick-off coverage for the Chargers.  Not good.  Not just on the Rhodes TD, but pretty much the whole game.

632204[/snapback]

Yeah, Marty will definitely be working on special-teams play this week!!

I am still shocked at how poor marty's special teams performed ... what a heart breaker ... still, there are the playoffs!

632263[/snapback]

On the other hand, the Chargers have been pretty decent up until today on special teams. You have to give credit to the Colts for their EXCELLENT special teams play today. They kicked our A$$!!!!!

Yes it was a great game to watch, with lots of records and a late comeback for all us watchers..the Chargers seem to have a flair at making big defensive plays in the red zone which has been very impressive and the Colts defense has really picked it up the last 6 to 7 weeks..if these 2 teams defenses can keep making strides they may catch up and even pass the Steelers and Patriots by the time they meet them in the playoffs..that being said they still have big strides to make on defense to catch either of those teams..but they are improving at the right time of the year..good luck to fans from both those teams and great game today to both.

The Chargers have surprised me this season as well. I could see them as a big threat in the playoffs. Not only have they shown they can play in warm weather but they did well in the cold last week in Cleveland as well.

But not as badly as Houston outplayed Jacksonville. . .

632434[/snapback]

I don't understand these guys. They tend to play rather well against good teams, but botch enough games against bad teams to knock themselves out of the playoffs. :D

Given that they actually beat the Colts once this year, I'm glad that we probably won't be seeing them in the playoffs next month.

Coming from you two, Bill and Captain, means alot to this long-suffering Charger fan. I was expecting a gloat-fest, but you guys just showed me alot of class. I was proud of the effort the Bolts made. It came up just a little short. Peyton was the difference. You gotta admit---> that game was GOOD ENTERTAINMENT!!!!  :D

632075[/snapback]

My sentiments as well (as a long-time Charger fan). It was a great game, though it sapped the energy right out of me the rest of the day.

Not only have they shown they can play in warm weather but they did well in the cold last week in Cleveland as well.

632428[/snapback]

Cleveland SUCKS so beating up on them wasn't that impressive IMO.

I really hope the Steelers get to play the Colts in the playoffs. First, because it would be a great matchup of differing styles of play and that would be interesting. Second, and more importantly from my perspective, think the Steelers running game would steamroll the Colts and it would be fun to watch. Manning can't throw TDs from the sideline.