[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish fiasco...

SuperBalla

Super -

Where are you getting the recovery credited to Banta-Cain?

There is nothing to say they were awarded a fumble recovery on NFL.com.

As stated in one of my earlier replies, it is my opinion that the kickoff situation SHOULD be treated the same as a muffed punt and that is it considered a fumble recovery/turnover, but it is obvious based on the statistics on the gamebook for the game that this is not the case, and that New England is credited for starting the drive via the recovery of their own kickoff. So, unless you have awarded other defensive teams points for the recovery of onside/touched kickoffs, New England should not get any points for this situation

Super -

Where are you getting the recovery credited to Banta-Cain?

There is nothing to say they were awarded a fumble recovery on NFL.com.

As stated in one of my earlier replies, it is my opinion that the kickoff situation SHOULD be treated the same as a muffed punt and that is it considered a fumble recovery/turnover, but it is obvious based on the statistics on the gamebook for the game that this is not the case, and that New England is credited for starting the drive via the recovery of their own kickoff. So, unless you have awarded other defensive teams points for the recovery of onside/touched kickoffs, New England should not get any points for this situation

634159[/snapback]

here

did anyone see the game? If he just recovered the onside kick then it is settled...no fumble recovery. If it hit a Jets player then is it a fumble recovery? Did a Jets player catch it then fumble it?

Also...who recovered Chrebets fumble lost?

Edited by SuperBalla

here

did anyone see the game? If he just recovered the onside kick then it is settled...no fumble recovery. If it hit a Jets player then is it a fumble recovery? Did a Jets player catch it then fumble it?

Also...who recovered Chrebets fumble lost?

634173[/snapback]

According to the NFL.com Game Book for this game Link

The Jets had 2 fumbles 1 by McCariens and 1 by Pennington.

McCariens recovered his own fumble and J. Green of NE recovered Pennington's.

And Troy Brown is given a fumble for his muffed punt so I would say that if someone from the Jets had touched the kickoff that Banta-Cain recovered then they would have been given a fumble in the game book. Since they weren't I would say that Banta-Cain simply recovered the kick, not a muff or fumble.

So no points.

According to the NFL.com Game Book for this game Link

The Jets had 2 fumbles 1 by McCariens and 1 by Pennington.

McCariens recovered his own fumble and J. Green of NE recovered Pennington's.

And Troy Brown is given a fumble for his muffed punt so I would say that if someone from the Jets had touched the kickoff that Banta-Cain recovered then they would have been given a fumble in the game book. Since they weren't I would say that Banta-Cain simply recovered the kick, not a muff or fumble.

So no points.

634185[/snapback]

That is what I am looking for...thanks jrick! :D

I just read on New England's site that the onside kick hit the up back J. Gleen and after a scrum T. Banta-Cain recovered the ball...so...by rule this would not have been considered a fumble...I guess because he didn't posses the ball it wasn't a fumble. If he (Glenn) would have picked the ball up and was able to run...would it then have been a fumble?

It doesn't matter now because it is clear there wasn't a fumble to recover.

All kickoffs are live balls until one team has clear possession of the ball. Neither team is in "possession" of it until then. So unless one team did possess it, then fumbled it away, there is no turnover.

(Instances of the ball not going 10 yards or out of bounds are penalties and dealt as such for possession. And kicks going out of the end zone become the receiving team's ball at the 20.)

Plus this is different than a punt where the it is the receiving team's ball once the punted ball crosses the line of scrimmage.

NFL Kickoff Rule #4:

4. A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.

It appears that it is not a fumble if it just hits a player.

I am Comish in my league and lost $550 because of this. I am going by CBS Sportsline on this one and not reversing the -2 points for NE Defense (unless CBS Sportline changes it).

This settled it...

I posted the final decision on our web-site that the team with New England lost. I really appreciate all the help from you guys trying to steer me to thie correct decision. If the NFL calls it one way then it is written in stone. If cbssportsline was scoring something different than how the NFL sees it...then there is a problem. The guy went to sleep with 1,000 bucks in his pocket and woke up with 330. He handled it well and understood...thanks again for the insight, Big John, Jrick, Grits, Big Country, Packer X, and all you others! :D Link above gets you here...I copied it for you.

Three For Free

The Patriots were nearly the benefactors of three free points at the end of the first half. Following a field goal that extended their lead to 13-0, the ensuing kickoff by Vinatieri bounced of New York upback Jason Glenn. After several Jets missed a chance to recover the ball, Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain recovered the ball at the New York 33-yard line, giving the Patriots the ball with two seconds left in the half.

Edited by SuperBalla