[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Read this, its greatness

Sgt. Ryan

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4134

Ryan (Ames, IA): What do you think of the Big 10 having 7 teams in the top 25? Is the Big 10 really that good (I think so)?

Trev Alberts: (1:23 PM ET ) No. Look at where they are ranked. They don't have anyone in the top. Iowa is No. 9 right? Big Ten is average from top to bottom. Every team has major questions. Michigan St. could be considered the best team in the conf. The Big 10 continues to be big, slower and mediocre. If OU played any Big Ten team they would win .. with their backups.

You Big 12 guys are so funny when you bash the Big Ten. Let's see... the sportswriters in the AP poll see 6 Big Ten teams that are better than the Big 12's #2 team. Meanwhile the coaches poll has 7 Big Ten teams in the top 20, all ahead of the Big 12's #3 team.

Keep in mind, the voters in these polls either coach or cover college football FOR A LIVING.

Help me out: where did Alberts play in college? Oh that's right... Nebraska.

Sgt. Ryan:

Trev Alberts: (123 PM ET ) No. Look at where they are ranked. They don't have anyone in the top. Iowa is No. 9 right? Big Ten is average from top to bottom. Every team has major questions. Michigan St. could be considered the best team in the conf. The Big 10 continues to be big, slower and mediocre. If OU played any Big Ten team they would win .. with their backups.  

Well, OU is pretty much inarguably the best team in the country. They'd probably beat any Big 12, SEC, or ACC team with their backups as well (at least in Albert's mind).

The Big Ten bashing is out of hand - TOSU is unimpressive and UM blew TWO big games, but I'd say that they're more solid top-to-bottom than mediocre; 5-2 in bowls last year, against HIGHER-RANKED opponents in nearly every case, and 6 one loss teams this year speak to their strength.

Aside from actual facts, since when has anything Trev Alberts says been gospel to anyone? The guy is a solid (or maybe it's "mediocre") announcer who has never really knocked my socks off with any sort of brilliant insight into the game.

KevinL:

You also said Miami would win by 13.  You were wrong then by underrating Big Ten teams.  And you're wrong again now.

Miami would have won by 13, but it's impossible to predict both injuries and penalties. McGahee's injury combined with the pass interference penalty resulted in the Ohio State win. A healthy McGahee and competent officiating would have resulted in a Miami 13+ point win.

Kansas State 2000:

Miami would have won by 13, but it's impossible to predict both injuries and penalties. McGahee's injury combined with the pass interference penalty resulted in the Ohio State win. A healthy McGahee and competent officiating would have resulted in a Miami 13+ point win.

Are you also known as "Bill Swerski"? :D

McGahee scored with 2:11 to play in the 3rd quarter to make the score 17-14 Ohio State. He injured his knee with 11:39 to play in the 4th quarter.

McGahee had 20 carries for 67 yards and 3 catches for 5 yards during the first 49 minutes.

Your suggestion that had he played the final 11 minutes, Miami would have scored 16 more points for a total of 30 is ridiculous.

And your suggestion that any official call in overtime affected the game by 13 points is even more assanine.

"read this, its greatness"

You're still speaking like you're in grade school Ryan, but that's completely understandable for someone with a K-12 Conference education.

Funny that you quote Trev Alberts. They only person who sticks his foot in his mouth more is you.

Big 10 is THE collegiate football conference. No other conference comes close.

sgt cryin still at it? oklahoma still undefeated? yes. have they played anyone? no. and with their remaining schedule if they are that great should beat every team left by 30 points. i personally still think they will get beat at least once.

the big 10 is the best conference in the country with id say the sec second. the big 12 sucks they just dont play anyone. and when they play each other they are still not playing anyone.

so once the teams that are still undefeated lose the buckeyes will be right there. and if you dont think they are rooting for florida teams how can florida st. lose also the be ranked ahead of us? if they were better they would have been ranked ahead of us to begin with.

and to say oklahomas second string would beat the big 10 is a joke. just feel lucky you dont have to play in the big 10 week after week. not only would you lose some games you would have injuries too.

as for mcghee watch some tapes of his games last year then the buckeyes game and what is one thing you notice? when he played the BUCKEYES he was scared and had never been hit that hard in his life. he wasnt delivering blows like he had done all year he was turning his back to the hit.

coxxy rules go buckeyes!

Sgt. Ryan:

LMAO,  Every analyst on ESPN, Fox, etc says the big ten is a very avg conference.  

With seven teams ranked in the Top 25, there's no question the Big Ten is off to a fine start.

There don't appear to be any national-championship contenders in the mix. That's especially true because the Magnficent Seven figure to slap each other around. With so many fierce head-to-head matchups left, it will be difficult for anyone to avoid at least a disappointment or two.

Big Ten analysis on ESPN

Sgt Ryan, this guy seems to think the Big Ten is more than an average conference.

I can respect Oklahoma. They are having a terrific season so far. If they finish undefeated and win the National Championship, they will have equaled Ohio State's feat from last season.

What I can't respect guys like you that spout lies, call names, and stray from the subject of football. Repeatedly you disrespect Ohio State's schedule, repeatedly I show you facts to show that Ohio State's schedule is actually tougher than Oklahoma's, and repeatedly you abandon the thread to start a new one.

You should be ashamed.

You still say KSU could win the Big Ten huh?

Not this "ESPN Analyst"

Meanwhile in the North, the AL Central of the Big 12, mediocrity can carry the day. Four teams are tied atop the division standings at 1-1. Preseason favorite Kansas State is at 0-2 but not out of it. Only Iowa State, 0-2 and ripped apart by injuries, can't be considered a contender at midseason.

ESPN Analysis of Big 12

Ryan let's look at some Bowl results shall we? Surely this will illustrate just how "Athenay" the Lil Ten is, right?

Against the mighty Big 12 in the Alamo Bowl:

1995 Texas A&M 22, MICHIGAN 20

1996 IOWA 27, Texas Tech 0

1997 PURDUE 33, Oklahoma State 20

1998 PURDUE 37, Kansas State 34

1999 PENN STATE 24, Texas A&M 0

2000 Nebraska 66, NORTHWESTERN 17

2001 IOWA 19, Texas Tech 16

2002 WISCONSIN 31, Colorado 28 (OT)

That's 6 wins, 2 losses for the Lil Ten.

Here are the Rose Bowl results, since 1990:

1990 Washington 46, IOWA 34

1991 Washington 34, MICHIGAN 14

1992 MICHIGAN 38, Washington 31

1993 WISCONSIN 21, UCLA 16

1994 PENN STATE 38, Oregon 20

1995 USC 41, NORTHWESTERN 32

1996 OHIO STATE 20, Arizona State 17

1997 MICHIGAN 21, Washington State 16

1998 WISCONSIN 38. UCLA 31

1999 WISCONSIN 17, Stanford 9

2000 Washington 34, PURDUE 24

7 up, 4 down.

In 4 trips to the Fiesta Bowl (including twice vs. Big 12 schools):

1983 OHIO STATE 28, Pittsburgh 23

1985 MICHIGAN 27, Nebraska 23

1996 PENN STATE 38, Texas 15

2002 OHIO STATE 31, Miami 24 (2OT)

Now the Orange Bowl:

1999 MICHIGAN 35, Alabama 34, OT

2002 USC 38, IOWA 17

In the Sugar, we're 1-2 (good thing we had one Big 12 opponent):

1997 Florida State 31, OHIO STATE 14

1998 OHIO STATE 24, Texas A&M 14

2001 LSU 47, ILLINOIS 34

We have a brand new tie-in with the SEC in the Music City Bowl:

2002 MINNESOTA 29, Arkansas 14

In the Citrus, it's 6-7:

1985 OHIO STATE 10, Brigham Young 7

1989 ILLINOIS 31, Virginia 21

1992 Georgia 21, OHIO STATE 14

1993 PENN STATE 31, Tennessee 13

1994 Alabama 24, OHIO STATE 17

1995 Tennessee 20, OHIO STATE 14

1996 Tennessee 48, Northwestern 28

1997 Florida 21, Penn State 6

1998 MICHIGAN 45, Arkansas 31

1999 MICHIGAN STATE 37, Florida 34

2000 MICHIGAN 31, Auburn 28

2001 Tennessee 45, MICHIGAN 17

2002 Auburn 13, PENN STATE 9

These, Ryan, are what are referred to as FACTS. You should see about maybe mixing one or two into your posts once in a while.

Yeah you should be ashamed.

Every analyst is NOT saying the Big Ten is average. You are. See the evidence above.

You make the following points that I agree with:

Maurice Clarrett thinks he is above the rules. (However his actions over the summer have nothing to do with last season.)

Ohio State this year is not as good as last year. And Ohio State was not a dominating team last year. However the were a winning team. Against the best the BCS could send to the championship game.

Thanks for the Bowl Results, Dave. Very educational post!

If the Big Ten sux so bad then show me another conference where teams ranked in the top 25 face off in three separate games in the same week, as we will see in the Big Ten this Saturday (Wis/Purdue, Iowa/OSU, MSU/MN). (Notice that two of our most successful schools historically... Penn St. and Mich... aren't even involved.)

Break out your history books and give me one instance of this occurring outside the Big Ten Ryan.

Guest Grim Reeper

Just thought I'd jump in as well, since I was born and raised in Big 10 country.

1920-2002

Big 10 vs Big 12 202-136-13 (59.4%)

OSU vs Big 12 19-3-1

Big 12 vs Big 10 141-198-14 (41.9%)

OU vs Big 10 9-5

Grim Reeper:

Just thought I'd jump in as well, since I was born and raised in Big 10 country.

1920-2002

Big 10 vs Big 12  202-136-13 (59.4%)

OSU vs Big 12     19-3-1

Big 12 vs Big 10  141-198-14 (41.9%)

OU vs Big 10    9-5

The BIG 12 was just formed in the 90's, how did you get stats from 1920? :D