[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos secondary continues "message"

Hitman

In the wake of the fine laid on John Lynch for his cheap shot at Colts TE Dallas Clark, the Broncos continued their tough talk, and seem to be making some sort of desperate attempt at intimidating the Colts WRs. Sounds like they're a bit nervous and desperate to me, and their DEF coordinator must be sweating a bit too. :D

Broncos plan to get physical with WRs

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be tough for Lynch to be to physical with the wideouts since the league has asked the officials to keep an eye on him and eject him immediately for a hit resembling the hit he made last week. I don't agree with the league, but think it will limit Lynch.

While I'm not sure the Denver defense is in any real position to lay the tough hits on the Colts WRs, they haven't been the picture of the 'tough WRs' in the league. Who's their leader, Marvin "lay down before I get touched" Harrison?

644665[/snapback]

Kind of like Deion "I'm Too Hurt To Play" Branch? :D

Colts WRs, they haven't been the picture of the 'tough WRs' in the league. Who's their leader, Marvin "lay down before I get touched" Harrison?

644665[/snapback]

:D No you're right. That picture of 'toughness' is "Iron Man" Troy Brown, David "2 game" Patten, and Deion "fell off a tree" Branch.

Sure, the Colts high flying offense & WRs are going to be accused of not being tough or being soft, ....not liking to get hit....etc., etc. Their game isn't about catching a 10 yard crossing pattern and taking it to the house breaking tackles like T.O. Their offense is built for speed and timing. It frustrates the he11 out of opposing DEFs. That is a good strategy to be physical with them, but the reason the NFL made the changes (and yes...in large part because of NE's mugging of the Colts WRs last year) is because have to allow teams like that a fair chance to run their offense. If you can't cover Harrison or other "speed" type WRs past 5 yards down the field without grabbing or mugging him, then your azz should get either roasted for a TD or called for a penalty....bottom line.

It's funny how bulletin board fodder from the Broncos to the Colts ends up being an anti Pats WR chat.

No one says the Pats WRs are great, none made the pro bowl, nore should they have. Bellichick has a system where he doesn't want to pay anyone, including any WR a huge contract. He wants 4 guys to have 700 yds and 6 TDs and pay them each $2M.

I think the point here is that Denver should just keep their mouths shut.

The Pats didn't say they were going to be physical with Indy going into the AFC Championship game last year, they just did it. They are telling the Colts what their defensive game plan is, and giving the home team some fuel they really don't need.

It's funny how bulletin board fodder from the Broncos to the Colts ends up being an anti Pats WR chat.

No one says the Pats WRs are great, none made the pro bowl, nore should they have.  Bellichick has a system where he doesn't want to pay anyone, including any WR a huge contract.  He wants 4 guys to have 700 yds and 6 TDs and pay them each $2M.

I think the point here is that Denver should just keep their mouths shut.

The Pats didn't say they were going to be physical with Indy going into the AFC Championship game last year, they just did it.  They are telling the Colts what their defensive game plan is, and giving the home team some fuel they really don't need.

644793[/snapback]

Exactly.

So does this mean you don't care to re-new our sigline bet from last year's game?   B) :oldrazz:

644741[/snapback]

I'm in!!!!

I have so much confidence in my team, that I'm willing to offer my sigline for two... no, one week... well, 4 days! A 4-day sigline bet from 8pm to 7am as long as two of those days are a weekend, and the signature has no mention of Indy, the Broncos, football, or anything that sheds negative light on me or anything I like... :D

No, seriously... I'll do a one week sigline bet with you (no strings attached). I've got a good sense of humor, and in this season when the Sox came back from 3 down to win a series against the Yankees... and I won the Huddle Challenge against the best and brightest here at the Huddle... I guess anything is possible... :D

Bring it on!!!! :D

Edited by AtomicCEO

If the Denver D can be physical enough with the receivers, it may very well work. Remember the Super Bowl with Pats/Rams? Not dirty football but if a Ram caught the ball, he paid the price. If the ball was touched by a Ram WR, you paid the price. These things you remember, I'm thinking.

If the Denver D can be physical enough with the receivers, it may very well work.  Remember the Super Bowl with Pats/Rams?  Not dirty football but if a Ram caught the ball, he paid the price.  If the ball was touched by a Ram WR, you paid the price.  These things you remember, I'm thinking.

644925[/snapback]

Excellent point! :D

If the Denver D can be physical enough with the receivers, it may very well work.  Remember the Super Bowl with Pats/Rams?  Not dirty football but if a Ram caught the ball, he paid the price.  If the ball was touched by a Ram WR, you paid the price.  These things you remember, I'm thinking.

644925[/snapback]

That's what happened in the Colts/Pats game when there was a short pass to the sideline.

While I'm not sure the Denver defense is in any real position to lay the tough hits on the Colts WRs, they haven't been the picture of the 'tough WRs' in the league. Who's their leader, Marvin "lay down before I get touched" Harrison?

644665[/snapback]

I've noticed more and more receivers are getting the yardage they can and then going down. Actually I dont think that is a bad thing. Live to play another down and possibly score instead of being taken out of the game with a concussion. If you are running across the middle and you know you're gonna just get licked, why would you want to hit the defender dead on. Catch the ball tuck your head and get down. Most of the time receivers dont have the time to adjust to the ball and the incoming defender before they get slammed. Staying health is the key in football for most recievers. You cant help your team sitting on the sideline. :D

644925[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. It was not within five yards they were imposing their physical will, but after the caught it. I think its pretty comparable, because the Rams offense was as prolific as the Colts this year and most pundits felt it could not be stopped.

Each time a Ram WR went down, he was popped. Each team he caught a ball, he was hit. Sure enough, the Rams offense slowed down.

If someone is willing to hit the crap out of anything that touches the ball and does it all game, it will have an effect. However, you can't crush a guy after he torches Bailey deep and beats him by 5 yards.

You can't stop the colts, you can only only hope to slow them down and keep their offense off the field by running the ball. That said, if some team will simply play a deep zone, hit the sh1t out of everyone that touches the ball, allow James some room at times, but refuse to get burnt for the big play, while successfully controlling the ball on offense against the indy D, they has a shot.

The standard cover-2 is just not going to cut it. Need a Bill Belecheck 3-5-5 scheme or something. Taking constant big hits does slow down a timing based passing offense.

644925[/snapback]

exactly. pats/rams, pats/colts, panthers/eagles, bucs/raiders...there are plenty of examples of playoff football where it has worked. can the broncos pull off what those teams did? maybe not. but at least they've got the right idea going in.