[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning IS the MVP

CaptainHook

Peyton Manning's phenomenal season earned him his second straight Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award. He was nearly a unanimous choice.

The Indianapolis Colts' star quarterback, who surpassed Dan Marino and Steve Young with his passing prowess in 2004, earned all but one of 48 votes from a national panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover pro football. Manning tied with Steve McNair for the award last season, but this time only Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick drew a vote.

Manning joined the likes of Joe Montana, John Unitas, Steve Young and Kurt Warner as quarterbacks with two MVP awards. Brett Favre is the only player to win it three times.

"Individually, I accomplished a lot in a short period of time," Manning said. "But no question, we did not win a Super Bowl in the time I've been here as a quarterback."

Ever the team man, and ever championship-oriented, Manning refuses to concentrate on his statistics. He might have thrown for 49 touchdowns, surpassing Dan Marino's 20-year-old NFL record. And he may have shattered Young's passer rating record with a 121.1 mark. And he might have established other league marks and a bunch more team records.

But to Manning, unless it all culminates in a championship, it's not what he's after.

"Just because you played well in Week 2 or Week 10 doesn't mean anything for the playoffs," Manning said. "Except that you're capable of doing it."

Manning was capable of doing almost anything in leading the Colts to a 12-4 record and the AFC South title. They routed Denver 49-24 in the first round of the playoffs -- the MVP voting was held before the postseason -- and play at New England on Sunday.

He also turned two of his previously unaccomplished receivers, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, into threats almost on a par with Manning's favorite target, perennial Pro Bowler Marvin Harrison. All caught at least 10 touchdown passes and went over 1,000 yards in receiving -- an unprecedented combination for three teammates.

"Peyton is such a competitor, he has such high expectations to go out and win," Wayne said. "You want to make a play for him and bail him out of tough situations."

Tough situations? Manning tends to make everything look easy.

Sort of like Young and Montana and Unitas and Warner and Favre did. But all of them have that championship along with their MVPs. Manning doesn't.

And it drives him to do even more.

link

Wasn't this already announced last week ? Or are you just reminding everyone ?

If there is one thing I can't stand it is people who just post stuff about their homer team all the time..... B):D:D

Yes, that one was for you Hugh One.

Edited by Menudo

No.  That was NFL Offensive Player of the Year.  MVP was announced this morning.

648269[/snapback]

O.k. sorry. I thought that Alan Faneca was going to get it. :D

What a ripoff !!!!

Man oh Man what a season.

I have never enjoyed a football season more than I have this one. Being able to witness every Home game of the Colts this year has been phenominal.

There have been some amazing games. Here are Peyton's numbers in those games:

Green Bay 45 - 31 Peyton through for 393 yds and 5 TD's

Oakland 35 - 14 Only 198 yds but 3 more TD's

Jax 27 - 24 The only home loss this year but a last minute FG by Jax and 368 yds and 3 TD's by Peyton made it one heck of a game to watch, despite the loss.

Vikings 31 - 28 Monday Night win. Peyton goes for 268 yds and another 4 TD's

Houston 49 - 14 - 320 yds and 5 TD's

Tennessee 51 - 24 There were 41 points scored in the 1st Quarter alone and 24 of them were Tennessee's and then Indy's Defense proceeded to shut Tenn out for the next 3 quarters, meanwhile Peyton got 425 yds and 3 TD's

Baltimore 20 - 10 Tough Sunday Night win, Some of Peyton's lower numbers in passing yds (249) & TD's (1), Indy's lowest point totals for the year, but in my opinion this was their best performance as a team all year. It was this win that convinced me that the Colts were going to win the Super Bowl this year. Baltimore attacked on defense all night and Jamal Lewis ran extremely hard and yet the Defense held the Ravens to just 10 points and the offense found a way to win. Great, Great Game.

San Diego 34 - 31 OT win to clinch the #3 Seed, 328 yds and 2 TD's. Awesome game.

Denver 49 - 24 360 yds and 3 TD's at Half time, 457 yds and 4TD's for the game. The Colts Offense is scary good. And the Defense didn't give up anything of any significance until the game was well out of hand. Look out New England.

So in 8 Regular Season Games and 1 Playoff Game we have seen 3066 yds passing for 30 TD's against only 8 INT's.

And if the Jets could pull off another upset in Pittsburgh this week and when the Colts beat the Patriots in what is actually this year's Superbowl, then we will get to see one more game when the Colts host the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

Man what a season, Thanks Peyton, MVP well deserved!!! :D:DB):D

Edited by Jrick35

And if the Jets could pull off another upset in Pittsburgh this week and when the Colts beat the Patriots in what is actually this year's Superbowl, then we will get to see one more game when the Colts host the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

Man what a season, Thanks Peyton, MVP well deserved!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

648344[/snapback]

So let me get this straight.... the 13-4 Indianapolis Colts against the 14-2 New England Patriots (One of those losses to the Steelers) is actually this year's Super Bowl and the 15-1 Steelers will have no say in the ending of these NFL Playoffs ? B) That makes a lot of sense ! Great posting !!!! B)

P.S. Congrats on Peyton's season. I have the utmost respect for him. He

is the best I've ever seen.

Edited by Menudo

So let me get this straight.... the 13-4 Indianapolis Colts against the 14-2 New England Patriots (One of those losses to the Steelers) is actually this year's Super Bowl and the 15-1 Steelers will have no say in the ending of these NFL Playoffs ?   :D   That makes a lot of sense !  Great posting !!!!   :D

648420[/snapback]

So let me get this straight...I have to run my posts by you before I post my opinion, to make sure that they make sense to you? I didn't realize that you were the leading authority on what made a post good or bad. Or perhaps it's a contest. I always though Message Boards were where a person goes to talk a little smack or to voice an opinion. I didn't realize that my real objective was supposed to bew to impress you with my posting prowess.

And besides based on what I posted, if I'm right, the Steelers won't have anything to do with the ending of these NFL playoffs as they will have been eliminated in the 2nd Rd of the playoffs, their 1st game of the playoffs, leaving them with the always hated position of being, one & done.. So I obviously do not think that they will have anything to do with the ending of these NFL Playoffs.

And as for MATCHUPS I defintitely believe that that the Winner of the Colts/NE game (Colts) will go on to win the Super Bowl this year. I apologize if this insults you as a Steelers fan. I think the Steelers are a good team, I have made several posts praising young Ben Roethlisberger throughout the season, I just think the Jets will beat them this week. Of course that's just one man's opinion and I could be wrong.

Edited by Jrick35

So let me get this straight...I have to run my posts by you before I post my opinion, to make sure that they make sense to you? I didn't realize that you were the leading authority on what made a post good or bad. Or perhaps it's a contest. I always though Message Boards were where a person goes to talk a little smack or to voice an opinion. I didn't realize that my real objective was supposed to bew to impress you with my posting prowess.

And besides based on what I posted, if I'm right, the Steelers won't have anything to do with the ending of these NFL playoffs as they will have been eliminated in the 2nd Rd of the playoffs, their 1st game of the playoffs, leaving them with the always hated position of being, one & done.. So I obviously do not think that they will have anything to do with the ending of these NFL Playoffs.

And as for MATCHUPS I defintitely believe that that the Winner of the Colts/NE game (Colts) will go on to win the Super Bowl this year. I apologize if this insults you as a Steelers fan. I think the Steelers are a good team, I have made several posts praising young Ben Roethlisberger throughout the season, I just think the Jets will beat them this week. Of course that's just one man's opinion and I could be wrong.

648433[/snapback]

I have no problem with your opinion, but I like to see opinons backed up with some facts and or statistics. I think calling the Colts - Patriots game this year's Super Bowl is a slap into a Steelers fan's face. I do agree that I shouldn't have worded it the way I did, as I have no problem with the post, but please realize that my retaliation post was just giving you my OPINION of your OPINION.

Vick got a VOTE???? Are you Kidding me??

648305[/snapback]

That is absolutely ridiculous. Before I set the relentless Vick supporters into a frenzy, check this out:

Peyton Manning's stats and other #s:

16 GS/4557 Passing YDs/49 PTD 10 INT/121.1 Rating/38 Rushing YDs w/ 0 RTD

He was sacked 13 times for -101 yards, + lost 2 fumbles. The Colts finished the regular season 12-4.

Michael Vick's stats and other #s:

15 GS/2313 Passing YDs/14 PTD 12 INT/78.1 Rating/902 Rushing YDs w/ 3 RTD

He was sacked 46 times for -266 yards, + lost 12 fumbles. The Falcons finished the regular season 11-5.

This isn't meant to be a rip on Vick post, just an appeal to common sense on Manning's behalf. There was absolutely no comparison between the two this year, and its insane that Peyton wasn't the unanimous choice.

What I find most interesting is, check out Vick's numbers this year compared to Shaun King's numbers from 2000....the totals are so similar it's almost eerie, yet I don't remember ANYONE even mentioning King's name when talking about the MVP award that year...it would be hard to say that the hype machine surrounding Vick isn't in full effect.

Shaun King's 2000 stats and other #s:

16 GS/2769 Passing YDs/18 PTD 13 INT/75.8 Rating/353 Rushing YDs w/ 5 RTD

He was sacked 37 times for -240 yards, + lost 1 fumble. The Buccaneers finished the regular season that year at 10-6.

Edited by Skrappy1

I have no problem with your opinion, but I like to see opinons backed up with some facts and or statistics.  I think calling the Colts - Patriots game this year's Super Bowl is a slap into a Steelers fan's face.  I do agree that I shouldn't have worded it the way I did, as I have no problem with the post, but please realize that my retaliation post was just giving you my OPINION of your OPINION.

648459[/snapback]

Ok, but my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion of my opinion being the wrong opinion, is the wrong opinion, IMHO. :D

Ok, but my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion of my opinion being the wrong opinion, is the wrong opinion, IMHO. :D

648683[/snapback]

Well, that is just YOUR opinion !!!! :D

That is absolutely ridiculous.  Before I set the relentless Vick supporters into a frenzy, check this out:

Peyton Manning's stats and other #s:

16 GS/4557 Passing YDs/49 PTD 10 INT/121.1 Rating/38 Rushing YDs w/ 0 RTD

He was sacked 13 times for -101 yards, + lost 2 fumbles.  The Colts finished the regular season 12-4.

Michael Vick's stats and other #s:

15 GS/2313 Passing YDs/14 PTD 12 INT/78.1 Rating/902 Rushing YDs w/ 3 RTD

He was sacked 46 times for -266 yards, + lost 12 fumbles.  The Falcons finished the regular season 11-5.

This isn't meant to be a rip on Vick post, just an appeal to common sense on Manning's behalf.  There was absolutely no comparison between the two this year,  and its insane that Peyton wasn't the unanimous choice. 

What I find most interesting is, check out Vick's numbers this year compared to Shaun King's numbers from 2000....the totals are so similar it's almost eerie, yet I don't remember ANYONE even mentioning King's name when talking about the MVP award that year...it would be hard to say that the hype machine surrounding Vick isn't in full effect.

Shaun King's 2000 stats and other #s:

16 GS/2769 Passing YDs/18 PTD 13 INT/75.8 Rating/353 Rushing YDs w/ 5 RTD

He was sacked 37 times for -240 yards, + lost 1 fumble.  The Buccaneers finished the regular season that year at 10-6.

648482[/snapback]

Excellent points Skrappy1. I too find it unbelievable that Vick got a vote. What an idiot. How much you wanna bet he works for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution? He should have his voting priveleges revoked.

Would Manning still be the MVP if he put up the same numbers but his team went 8-8 and didn't make the playoffs?

How about if his team went 6-10?

648768[/snapback]

I honestly think that would be impossible.

Here's another question for you ... is Manning even the MVP of his own team?  What's different about this year and last year?  Isn't Reggie Wayne the difference between this year and last?

648781[/snapback]

:D No. And anyone who watches the Colts knows it.