[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots sign another cornerback

CaptainHook

For the second time this week, New England has added a veteran defensive back who didn't play in the NFL during the regular season, as the Patriots signed safety Antwan Harris on Thursday, just three days before their division-round game with Indianapolis.

It is not known whether Harris, 27, will play against the Colts. But the four-year veteran, who played for the Patriots 2000-2003, is familiar with the defensive terminology and the Bill Belichick coverage schemes, so there is a chance he could be pressed into action in the battered New England secondary.

Earlier in the week, the Patriots signed cornerback Hank Poteat, a four-year veteran who spent most of his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers but who was released by Carolina this summer just one week before the season opener.

Despite the absence of starting cornerbacks Ty Law and Tyrone Poole, both of whom are on injured reserve and ineligible to play again this season, the Pats got some relatively good news this week on the injury front. All of their defensive backs still on the active roster were cleared for practice, and all worked in the Wednesday and Thursday sessions.

Harris was chosen by New England in the sixth round of the 2000 draft, and the former University of Virginia standout appeared in 52 games, with two starts, before becoming a free agent at the end of the 2003 campaign. The Patriots did not make an effort to re-sign Harris and, despite a few workouts with other clubs, he did not play at all in 2004.

In four seasons, Harris recorded 29 tackles, one sack and one interception, along with being a solid performer on special teams units. The team thought highly enough of him that, when the Patriots abruptly released free safety Lawyer Milloy less than a week before the 2003 season opener, Harris was elevated to the starting lineup. But his play against Buffalo in that game was so subpar that the coaches immediately switched then-rookie cornerback Eugene Wilson to free safety for the next game.

Harris did play a significant role in the 2001 playoffs, as the Patriots claimed the first of their two Super Bowl titles. In the AFC championship victory over Pittsburgh, he took a lateral off a blocked punt and raced 49 yards for a touchdown. Then in Super Bowl XXXVI, he forced a fumble by St. Louis wide receiver Ricky Proehl.

link

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you think the Patriots are still going to use Troy Brown in nickel situations????

654466[/snapback]

Well....they could use Troy, who's been practicing at the position all season...

Or they could play a scrub that's been out of the NFL most of the last 2 seasons. Pick your scrub.

I doubt Harris will see game time except on Special Teams. Poteat might.

first 6 DBs this week: Harrison, Wilson, Samuel, Gaye, Brown, Davis. Next 2 are Reid and Poteat. Harris might see time if the Pats make it to the next round. Just MHO.

Wow. I just cannot imagine Troy Brown on Brandon Stokley. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Colts actually move Harrison around a little bit this week. Although he usually operates exclusively from the right side, I think the Colts might have some surprises up their sleeve.

Wow.  I just cannot imagine Troy Brown on Brandon Stokley.  I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Colts actually move Harrison around a little bit this week.  Although he usually operates exclusively from the right side, I think the Colts might have some surprises up their sleeve.

654481[/snapback]

Brown is tied for the second on the team in picks this year, just FYI :D

Patriots won't blitz much. They like to get pressure with 3 and drop 8 into coverage. However, if they are missing Seymour it will be more difficult to get that pressure. Plus, they attacked G Tupe Peko last year. The Colts upgraded that position with Jake Scott late in the year.

Belicheck will have some tricks up his sleeve. The Colts O-Line seems strong and discipline but last game between these two when tthe Pats got there there was 3-4 guys in the backfield at once. Peyton doesn't have the mobility IMO to survive if the O-Line has to handle blitzing most of the time.

The Patriots had their most success against Peyton when they move the safeties up from their natural position closer to the line and drop the corners back...gotta try to get some heat and force him into quick throws and jump on the receivers route..peyton doesnt like taking sacks

a week after losing to the Steelers the Pats went into St Louis and held their offense to 2 touchdowns on the track..I know St Louis isnt Indy, but they still have a pretty potent attack

remember last year, who got a game ball after the AFC title game, for the Patriots? Damon Huard..who played Peyton in practice and it was said he mimmicked him to a t...i wonder how jim miller is doing..that proved invaluable

just watch out for eugene wilson

Belicheck will have some tricks up his sleeve.  The Colts O-Line seems strong and discipline but last game between these two when tthe Pats got there there was 3-4 guys in the backfield at once.  Peyton doesn't have the mobility IMO to survive if the O-Line has to handle blitzing most of the time.

654535[/snapback]

I think the key here is Seymour on the d-line more than Brown at DB.

We already know that the Colts can move the ball on the Pats defense. The best chance the Pats have at a win is Turnovers and the best chance they have at turnovers is pressure from the Defensive line. Without Seymour that is gone.

They can not get enough pressure on Manning without Seymour. That lack of pressure will allow Manning too much time to throw the ball and that is going to put too much burden on the secondary plus the Pats not having Seymour makes it easier for Edge to run.

If I were a Pats fan I would be very concerned about the health of Seymour.

Not than this 1 player is the key to the whole defense I just think his absence from the D-line heightens the deficiency of the secondary.

I am willing to bet that at some point during the game the defense will be in a formation that they have not been in all year trying to confuse Peyton.

654736[/snapback]

Or will they be in a formation that they haven't been in all year because all of the newly signed DB's are confused? :D

I think Peyton Manning is going to make a laughing stock out of the Patriots.

I don't care how bad the field conditions are. When you line up Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat and Antwaan Harris against the Colts - it ain't gonna work.

Take the Colts and the Over.

I think Peyton Manning is going to make a laughing stock out of the Patriots.

I don't care how bad the field conditions are.  When you line up Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat and Antwaan Harris against the Colts - it ain't gonna work.

Take the Colts and the Over.

654957[/snapback]

i doubt youll see much or Moreland and Poteat..Moreland saw some time because Asante Samuel was banged up

Harris could see some time at safety..if they decide to stick Wilson on someone

If Seymour plays..my question is..do the Colts still double him..when healthy hes pretty much unblockable one on one...but Willie McGinest is capalbe of getting to the QB..Colts fans have seen what Jarvis Green can do...Ty Warren is no slouch

I also remember reading in TSN in the Scouts Views section about a month ago how impressed a scout was with the progress of Vince Wilfork...guy was saying how he might even vote for him for defensive ROY..and he had seen him dominate at times...