[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Those Poor Misunderstood Eagle Fans

Menudo

Let me guess Eagle fans, this is just another creation by the media.... :D

All fans can be bad with this sort of thing, but the Filthadelphia Thugs take great pride in this kind of treatment. It is sad.

This is from the Star Tribune, but I don't have a direct link because it needs registration.

Vikings fans take a beating in Philly, too

Paul Levy, Star Tribune

January 17, 2005 PHILLY0117

?

?

PHILADELPHIA -- Rough game. But maybe a rougher crowd.

The Minnesota Vikings lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 27-14 Sunday -- ending the Vikings' playoff hopes and season. But all the mother of Vikings lineman Chris Liwienski could talk about was how she and her family were physically abused by fans in the upper deck of Lincoln Financial Field.

Wearing one of her son's purple Vikings spamshirts, Marie Hoppe said she was pushed repeatedly by hostile Philadelphia fans. Her daughter-in-law, Christina Liwienski, said she was hit in the head by a plastic beer bottle.

"We were warned that Philadelphia fans would be rough, the worst in the league, and my son begged me not to wear this jersey," said Hoppe, of suburban Detroit. "Fans are supposed to come to games, not thugs. But these people had their hands on me constantly.

"What are these people doing at sporting events like this?"

The announced crowd of 67,722 seemed determined to enhance a well-earned reputation as the National Football League's crudest. But the Eagles -- the top seed and class of the National Football Conference -- didn't really need any extra help against a Vikings team that finished the season 9-9 and looked every bit like the conference's lowest playoff seed.

With Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb dissecting the Minnesota secondary early and passing for two touchdowns, and facing a tough Philadelphia defense, the Vikings looked very much like a team that lost four of its final five regular season games and not like a team that upset the Packers in Green Bay in the playoffs' first round.

"Giving up 21 points in the first half doesn't help," Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield said.

Obnoxious and hostile

The Vikings offered their fans hope when quarterback Daunte Culpepper's 7-yard touchdown run in the second quarter cut the Eagles' lead to 14-7.

"We still have a chance," Marie Hoppe said during the third quarter.

But she and her family had long given up on the Eagles fans. Joe Liwienski, Chris' 22-year-old brother, said he attended the "basketbrawl" game in Auburn Hills, Mich., where members of the Indiana Pacers exchanged punches with Detroit Pistons fans.

"This was 10 times worse," he said.

"The fans were obnoxious," Chris Liwienski said from the Vikings locker room. "They were chanting stuff to Randy [Moss] throughout the game. You expect that, but you don't expect them to abuse people in the stands trying to enjoy the game."

The few fans who came to the game wearing Vikings purple were greeted by a boisterous and hostile crowd that began sharpening their fangs in parking lots near the stadium at 6 a.m., presumably stirring their alcoholic beverages with rusty nails.

Mike Hughes, 39, of Excelsior, wearing a purple Randy Moss jersey on his back and his heart on his sleeve, walked right through the Eagles crowd that hurled obscenities and promised to throw even more at him.

"Batteries," he said. "They're threatening to throw batteries.

"I went to all but three Vikings road games this year," Hughes said. "I can tell you that Green Bay is nothing like this."

Scott Bain, 33, also wearing a Moss jersey, said he "never felt so lonely" as he walked briskly through a parking lot crowded with Eagles fans chanting obscenities and holding "Jacksonville or Bust" signs.

"We had upper deck seats, but we got so many warnings about what might happen to us that we sold them and bought club level seats on the street," said Bain, formerly of Anoka and now a lawyer in Washington, D.C. "We were told it was safer there."

Said Steve Beckman, 47, of New Brighton, in a well-worn (but not yet battered) Moss jersey: "They warned us not to wear this attire, but we didn't listen. I even rode the subway here.

"They told us that if the Vikings win, we'd better take a cab home, for our own protection."

"We still better watch out for batteries," said Jimmy Bahnson, 22, of Fridley, wearing a Culpepper jersey.

Philadelphia, which has lost the three previous conference title games, will try again next Sunday against Atlanta.

"How many disappointments can Philadelphia fans take?" asked John Groses, 74, of Media, Pa.

"This city's been through hell with its sports teams," said Tom Jones, of Milton, Del., whose bus is painted Eagles green, has Eagles logos in every window and has become a pregame meeting place for Eagles cheerleaders, fans and anyone looking for a photo opportunity or to commiserate.

"We gear ourselves up for these games, but the worst has happened so many times."

The worst happened in the upper deck, in the corner of the end zone, Chris Liwienski said.

"I tried to warn them," he said of his family. "It's like these fans have hit a new low."

Not to excuse the activity but only an idiot wears the opposing team's jersey to a home Eagles game and expects to be treated well ... and she was fore-warned too.

It's kinda like crossing a busy free way on foot and being surprised when you get hit.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Not to excuse the activity but only an idiot wears the opposing team's jersey to a home Eagles game and expects to be treated well ... and she was fore-warned too.

It's kinda like crossing a busy free way on foot and being surprised when you get hit.

659198[/snapback]

What a joke. A person should be able to wear whatever jersey they want and feel safe. There is the problem. These were women for God sake !!!!

What a joke.  A person should be able to wear whatever jersey they want and feel safe.  There is the problem.  These were women for God sake !!!!

659200[/snapback]

I didn't condone the activity of the Iggle fans. However, when you are warned that fire will burn you and you still stick your hand in the fire are you being an idiot?

If anyone touched the lady they would have been thrown out on the spot. I was there isaw a few Vikes spamshirts. i saw not one act of violence. I even heard less a-hole chanting at the tailgate.

Edited by NSab

If anyone touched the lady they would have been thrown out on the spot. I was there isaw a few Vikes spamshirts. i saw not one act of violence. I even hear less a-hole chanting at the tailgate.

659228[/snapback]

There's really no need for you guys to try and dispute what's been written. Surely you couldn't have seen everything that went on there and what's up with the "If anyone touched the lady they would have been thrown out on the spot" statement? How, by osmosis ? She would have had to go somewhere and complain about it.

If you are going to send your mother to a game, don't sit them in the Upper Decks, 200 level=700 old level. The rowdiest crowds still habitate the upper levels.

There's really no need for you guys to try and dispute what's been written.  Surely you couldn't have seen everything that went on there and what's up with the "If anyone touched the lady they would have been thrown out on the spot" statement?  How, by osmosis ?  She would have had to go somewhere and complain about it.

659233[/snapback]

I'm now indicting all eagle fans by the way.......but there is a large rude drunken contingent that attends those games......partly because they take pride in that image.....

I'm now indicting all eagle fans by the way.......but there is a large rude drunken contingent that attends those games......partly because they take pride in that image.....

659237[/snapback]

Typo......I meant to say, I'm NOT indicting all eagle fans..... :D I know a lot of eagle fans and they are nothing like what gets described by the national media...

There's really no need for you guys to try and dispute what's been written.  Surely you couldn't have seen everything that went on there and what's up with the "If anyone touched the lady they would have been thrown out on the spot" statement?  How, by osmosis ?  She would have had to go somewhere and complain about it.

659233[/snapback]

No there is security all through there, unfortanetly i was up there for the this game for the frist time. I am usually down on the loweer level. Security watches everyone like a Hawk.

I didn't condone the activity of the Iggle fans.  However, when you are warned that fire will burn you and you still stick your hand in the fire are you being an idiot?

659211[/snapback]

I guess if you are a Packer fan then you don't go to games when Randy Moss is playing?

I wore my Eagles Jersey to Dallas for Monday night one minor altercation, no biggie. I wore My Jersey to the Chicago playoff game no problem, New York playoff game almost got into a little fight. There are drunk rowdy fans in every city. The Philly Stadium always get a bad rap from media hype. I think it is pretty much the same everywhere. With the exception of Dallas , they were some of the nicest people as a whole I have ever seen at at a football game. JMO

659233[/snapback]

That's right- if it's written in the Minnesota newspaper it's a 100% accurate account of what happened. The news media would never embelish a story :D

BTW- the Vikings player who stuck his mom in the upper deck is a cheap idiot.

Of course I am not saying all Eagle fans are classless. I'm sure most are not. However, where there is smoke, there is fire. I'm sure some stories are exaggerated, but I would still venture to guess that Philadelphia is the worst place for opposing fans to go and watch a game. The argument of "Well, they were warned" holds absolutely no merit. A fan should be able to go to an opposing teams stadium and support their team, period and end of story. The fact that these were two women in this story makes it even worse. Their is a fraction of Eagles fans that are clearly proud of this moniker that has been given to them by the media and they ruin it for everyone else. Just my $.02

And the weekly defense of blaming the media and saying "they were warned"

:D

659516[/snapback]

I by no means condone that type of behavior, but there are always going to be isolated incidents (and not just in Philadelphia). You can't tell me that the media doesn't hunt this kind of story down like a pack of wild dogs when it comes to this city just to rub the stereotype in some more.

I'll be arriving in Philly about 9:30 pm tomorow night. As usual in my full Cowboys regalia. Of course I'm a little more intimidating than a woman in purple which could be why nobody ever gives me more crap than I'm looking for in the first place.

Now once after a Stars/Fliers game I had to put the beatdown on a Fliers fan but that was all a misunderstanding.

NSab, got time on Thursday for a couple of shorts of Jegermeister, I'll buy you bring the cheesesteak. No onions with Wiz.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Wearing one of her son's purple Vikings spamshirts, Marie Hoppe said she was pushed repeatedly by hostile Philadelphia fans. Her daughter-in-law, Christina Liwienski, said she was hit in the chin by a pair of hairy balls.

"We were warned that Philadelphia fans would be rough, the worst in the league, and my son begged not to make me not to my thong," said Hoppe, of suburban Detroit. "Fans are supposed to come to games, not thugs. But these people had their hands on me constantly.

But she and her family had long for on the Eagles fans. Joe Liwienski, Chris' 22-year-old brother, said he attended a "reach around" game in Auburn Hills, Mich., where members of the Indiana Pacers exchanged blowswith Detroit Pistons fans.

"This was 10 times better," he said.

:D Thats messed up!

I'll be arriving in Philly about 9:30 pm tomorow night.  As usual in my full Cowboys regalia.  Of course I'm a little more intimidating than a woman in purple which could be why nobody ever gives me more crap than I'm looking for in the first place.

Now once after a Stars/Fliers game I had to put the beatdown on a Fliers fan but that was all a misunderstanding.

NSab, got time on Thursday for a couple of shorts of Jegermeister, I'll buy you bring the cheesesteak.  No onions with Wiz.

659565[/snapback]

Club you still have my cell # , let me know if not i will PM you./