[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody know anything about bats...

McNasty

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is right on time, My wife coaches softball. She just started talking about it. Until the season is over, I will hear alot about it. :D

My son is playing baseball for the first time this spring, and I actually would like to go out and buy him a decent quality but starter-level sort of bat. How am I expected to know what to get without the Sensei's advice?

Are there bat length/weight restrictions for kids? I'm liable to buy him the wrong thing without assistance. :D

My son is playing baseball for the first time this spring, and I actually would like to go out and buy him a decent quality but starter-level sort of bat. How am I expected to know what to get without the Sensei's advice?

Are there bat length/weight restrictions for kids? I'm liable to buy him the wrong thing without assistance. :D

726072[/snapback]

Seriously, For Softball you need ASA certified. Baseball make sure it is NOT a Softball bat.

How old is the kid Czar?

If he's a young pup and playing for fun (probably since it's his first time) they have some decent inexpensive bats. They would be the hot model a couple years ago but good bats. You have a big sporting good store in your town?

I'm probably going to start at Play it Again, which is a resale sporting goods store. He's 9 years old, about 54" tall and around 65#. To me, a bat is a bat, but I suppose these things matter somewhat. :D

He's been playing soccer exclusively for a few years and I finally convinced him to branch out.

I'll keep it simple. Kid that size is probably going to be using a 28", maybe a 29" bat.

You can find good ones that weigh about 21-22 ounces. Look for a -6 or -7 differential in the bat length versus the bat weight.

Have him hold the bat straight out from the bottom of the bat with one hand.

If he can do it for 10 seconds without getting some tremors, it's a decent weight/size for him.

I'll keep it simple. Kid that size is probably going to be using a 28", maybe a 29" bat.

You can find good ones that weigh about 21-22 ounces. Look for a -6 or -7 differential in the bat length versus the bat weight.

Have him hold the bat straight out from the bottom of the bat with one hand.

If he can do it for 10 seconds without getting some tremors, it's a decent weight/size for him.

726264[/snapback]

Good info here. Thanks.

Furd, we were trying to draw Blitz out of hiding before but this was actually a legitimate bat question. The place where Nick plays soccer has batting cages, so I figured I'd get him a bat now and let him get some time in the cages after his game.

• 11 months later...
$1000 for a bat??

I have to buy a bat for my daughter (10) for softball

this year. No way am I spending even close to that     :D

711762[/snapback]

you must not love her enough to give her every advantage in the sink or swim world of 10 year-old girl softball. parents who care go the extra mile to make sure their kids dominate all the other snot-nosed wannabe brats, with the latest in space-age bat technology.

Edited by Azazello1313

Anybody know how Coach Julio is doing?

1322155[/snapback]

He started preparing for the season in November, not sure how his offseason training is going though. Grits might be with him as I believe they vacation together. No, I am not sure why I remember that either. :D

you must not love her enough to give her every advantage in the sink or swim world of 10 year-old girl softball.  parents who care go the extra mile to make sure their kids dominate all the other snot-nosed wannabe brats, with the latest in space-age bat technology.

1322199[/snapback]

+1 Tightwad :D

Make sure the bat is ASA certified.  The ASA has gone about banning certain bats due to how quickly the ball travels off of it.

712769[/snapback]

Good info here.

Depending upon where you live, you'll also want to be careful with certain alloys. Some are more prone to dent in cold temperatures. Like previously stated, matching the length and weight of the bat to the user is important. Bat speed suffers if you don't.

No reason to spend $1000. Plenty of great bats out there for $150-$300. I've had good luck with Worth, Easton and Demarini.