[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Security is slacking at the Combine

Blitztalk

Lions | Garcia Works Out and Takes Physical - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:30:50 -0800

Updating previous reports, the Detroit Lions worked out free agent QB Jeff Garcia (Browns) at the NFL Combine. He also took a physical for the team.

Didn't they check this guys ID? Security must be slacking off if Garcia can walk in and pose as a college kid. Seriously though, I didn't know vets worked out at the combine.

Even stranger is the Lions worked out Garcia.  I don't think he's the vet we need.

713424[/snapback]

I think it works if his price is right to be a backup (see Bettis) ... start Harrington and continue on the path to the future, keep Garcia as injury insurance and a mentor of the offense to JH ...

I think it works if his price is right to be a backup (see Bettis) ... start Harrington and continue on the path to the future, keep Garcia as injury insurance and a mentor of the offense to JH ...

713464[/snapback]

Mooch is beginning to worry me as he seems intent on surrounding himself with the same cast that got him the boot from SF. Tollner as OC? Streets bombed last season. Garcia at backup QB? Jerry Rice can't be far away can he? I think if I got fired from my job as a manager of...whatever....that I'd be all that quick to surround myself with my former co-workers that helped me get shown the door at my next job.

Mooch is beginning to worry me as he seems intent on surrounding himself with the same cast that got him the boot from SF. Tollner as OC? Streets bombed last season. Garcia at backup QB? Jerry Rice can't be far away can he? I think if I got fired from my job as a manager of...whatever....that I'd be all that quick to surround myself with my former co-workers that helped me get shown the door at my next job.

713486[/snapback]

It's been working great for Parcells so far :D

I would think Lion fans would be glad to get him with the recent problems you've had at QB. Would you guys agree he did well in SF. His stats certainly point to that fact. I may even be yelling to start him and let the young guy hang out on the bench a little. Give him time to get his head screwed on right and learn. I would think whether Garcia starts or backs him up he could definitely school the youngster. And, you can't argue that he doesn't need it.

713486[/snapback]

So your thinking that Mooch and his guys were the problem in SF ? Getting rid of him sure has helped the Niners return to the glory years. :D

Don't get me wrong. As a Lions fan I welcomed Mooch as the best coach we've had in......decades. It just seems to me that we don't need the influx of his former players or coaches from SF. There are more qualified younger assts(Cavanaugh?) out there that I think could help the Lions move foward as opposed to the same old retread coaches that didn't get it done in SF. As for Garcia I'm just not sold that he isn't more shot than Warner,or Br Johnson. With Williams and hopefully a healthy Rogers the Lions have spoken of going deep more and can Garcia still heave it? A roll out QB limits himself to only seeing half the field and that seems to me to limit the opportunities to go down field and Jeff has taken quite the beating over the last few seasons.

You're right he has taken his lumps the past couple years but, I think he may have another season or two left in him. I think it would be great for Harrington. As far as his arm strength, he doesn't have the big arm but he can certainly throw the ball and has proven it time and time again in SF. Owens was catching some long ones from him and so can Williams and Rodgers. I think the big question mark would be if the WRs can stay healthy.

I think Tyler has hit the nail on the head. If Garcia was more willing to stay in the pocket than roll out every down, he may be a benefit. Plus I don't think he's looking to sign as a backup for any team, although he may be forced to do so. If I had my druthers, I'd wish they could find a way to land Kitna.

713486[/snapback]

Depends on how you look at it - if you got fired from managing Denny's because while the service was terrific, the food was bad, wouldn't it make sense to bring in the servers but not the cooks?

Whatever Mooch's issues were with getting fired in SF, the offense clearly WAS NOT a problem while he was there. If he starts bringing in defensive guys and special teamers, you might want to start worrying....:D

I'd love to see the Lions bring in a viable starter, which I believe that Garcia can still be for a year or two, and also re-sign McMahon. Immediately after signing the new guy, the Lions should declare the quarterback position "open" to whoever plays best. If Harrington is everything his dwindling legion of supporters thinks he is, he'll step up, and the Lions will have a good backup situation. If he's the untalented hack that all data so far points to, he can be released before next season, leaving a semi-stable QB situation with a possible heir in the wings.

I'd love to see the Lions bring in a viable starter, which I believe that Garcia can still be for a year or two, and also re-sign McMahon.  Immediately after signing the new guy, the Lions should declare the quarterback position "open" to whoever plays best.  If Harrington is everything his dwindling legion of supporters thinks he is, he'll step up, and the Lions will have a good backup situation.  If he's the untalented hack that all data so far points to, he can be released before next season, leaving a semi-stable QB situation with a possible heir in the wings.

713953[/snapback]

No way McMahon comes back.