[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB McMahon signs with the Eagles

bigmike4969

McMAHON SIGNS ON FOR 2 YEARS

March 11, 2005

By DAVE SPADARO

One visit, one signing.

The Eagles announced Friday morning that they have signed quarterback Mike McMahon to a two-year contract, once again giving the team three experienced players at the position, and adding some intrigue as to whether McMahon or Koy Detmer will be the No. 2 man behind Donovan McNabb.

McMahon visited on Thursday -- the first unrestricted free agent from another team to do so in 2005 -- and signed his deal on Friday morning.

QB Mike McMahon

After playing for four seasons in Detroit, McMahon is looking forward to being in Philadelphia and working with McNabb and Detmer, along with the Eagles' coaches in the West Coast offense.

"It's a great offense, very explosive," he said. "I like this scheme and the things a quarterback can do with it. I think it's going to work out very well for me here."

McMahon arrived at the NovaCare Complex on Thursday and stayed through the night. He visited with the coaching staff and liked what he heard.

"They talked to me about what an opportunity it would be for me to come in and back up Donovan McNabb, learn a lot and compete for a backup job," said McMahon on Friday morning. "There is always that possibility of having a chance to play a lot in the preseason. If something were to happen to Donovan, then I would have the chance to get some playing time. They expressed confidence in me to go out and win games if I'm on the field.

"The main thing they said was that this would be a great place to take a step forward in my career."

McMahon played a lot as a rookie in 2001 and entered 2002 as the starter for the Lions, but then the team turned the controls over to top draft pick Joey Harrington and McMahon rode the bench.

It was not easy for a young man who thought he would have the chance to win the job.

"I always said to myself that if was going to be a backup, I wanted to be one for a team that had a chance to win the Super Bowl and I have that chance here behind one of the best quarterbacks in the league," he said. "It was hard in Detroit because they kept on saying, 'We'll let you compete.' That wasn't really the situation. But, I learned a lot. I learned a lot about the NFL and I learned a lot about the business.

"It was a good experience. I did get some playing time and I had the chance to go through some situations I would never have had the chance to be in."

McMahon is now reunited with Marty Mornhinweg, the former Lions head coach and now an assistant head coach with the Eagles.

Mike McMahon looks forward to competing for the No. 2 QB job

The two had a close relationship in Detroit.

"I always liked Marty. I think he's a great coach and a great offensive coach," said McMahon. "We had a very productive offense when he was there in Detroit. It's going to be nice to work with him again, especially when a coach shows an interest in you for the second time after drafting you. It's nice to be with coaches who bring you in. It's nice to be back with Marty, in the same offense. I don't have to go out and learn anything new.

"The scheme is pretty much the same. They said there might be some twists and tweaks in it, but it's pretty much the same verbage and so that should make the transition easier."

:D

Great signing for the Iggles and Marty Mornhinweg, great un-signing for the Lions and Joey Harrington. Everybody wins . . . especially true Lions fans who are sick of ignorant jerks pretending that McMahon is anything other than White Kordell Stewart.

Peace

policy

We never really got to see him do his thing in Detroit. He's athletic and energetic. However, his accuracy has been questioned. I wish he would have went somewhere that he may have had a chance of at least competing for some playing time.

I don't really think this is a good signing for Philly as a backup only. His inexperience will not bode well for emergency duty. I always want a veteran as my second QB.

I was hoping that Mike would end up someplace with a better opportunity to showcase his talents. He seems like an ok kid with an assload of athletic talent. When Harrington was drafted at #3, that pretty much sealed Mike's fate with the Lions. There's no way he was going to be given a chance to succeed here. As much as I hate the Eagles, I'm glad that Mike is happy where he's going, and I hope that he has a lot of success.

I woulld say this is  a definete positive from Koy Detmer but since McNabb is young I wouldn't say this was a great signing but a good signing. 

NAUgrad.... Agreed :D

732144[/snapback]

Now Koy can go back to what he's best suited for - playing Ringo Starr in a Beatles tribute band.