[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Knew This Day was coming....

Bengal Mania

Link

This guy was projected as a mid-first round CB, and in successive years was involved in a shooting (innocent bystander, not a thug participant) and a car accident, both of which could easily have killed him.

Who knows, this man may get more enjoyment out of his life, and may offer more to those around him, than we can ever imagine.

Still, a sad end to a once-promising NFL career before it ever got really started.

I'm not wishing harm on anyone but it makes you wonder why this type of thing doesn't happen to guys like Larry Ned or Kelly Campbell instead.

I wish him all the best and hope to see him on an NFL team very soon.

I'm not wishing harm on anyone but it makes you wonder why this type of thing doesn't happen to guys like Larry Ned or Kelly Campbell instead.

I wish him all the best and hope to see him on an NFL team very soon.

730646[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing.

can somebody post this story?  The link is not working for me.

730644[/snapback]

Weathersby released

3/11/2005 - 10:50 a.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Maybe the most star-crossed story in the history of several star-crossed stories on the Bengals came to an end Friday when the Bengals waived cornerback Dennis Weathersby almost a year after a near-fatal car accident.

After what doctors called his “miraculous” wakeup from a 10-day coma following a severe head injury in the April 12 accident, Weathersby’s bid to come back and play football has hit an obstacle. He has been unable to pass the team physical required for him to return.

“It’s the recommendation of our team doctors that Dennis not play football at this time,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “This move will give Dennis and his advisors the chance to pursue his future as they see fit. Dennis is a fine young man who has bravely gone through some very tough times, and we wish him all the best.”

On various trips back to Cincinnati last season for checkups and workouts, Weathersby said his goal was to play in 2005 even though he had suffered a very traumatic injury when his car slid off a rainy highway exit ramp in Springdale and slid into a utility pole.

Teammates, coaches, and fans rallied to him after an unbelievable run of events in his life. Nearly a year to the day of the car accident - April 20, 2003 - Weathersby was the victim of an Easter Day drive-by shooting in his hometown of Duarte, Calif., a week before he was to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.

After starting all four years during an All-Pac 10 career at Oregon State, Weathersby ran 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine and was viewed as a prototypical big NFL cornerback.

Authorities concluded Weathersby was the innocent bystander in a turf war. The bullet reportedly went through his back, underneath his lung, out his torso, and entered his left arm between the bicep and elbow, not hitting a vital organ but causing him to lose a massive amount of blood.

Even a day before the shooting, Bengals secondary coach Kevin Coyle spoke to Weathersby in anticipation Cincinnati might take him at the top of the second round at No. 33. The incident not only knocked Weathersby out of the first round, but also the first day of the draft. During the break on Saturday night and Sunday morning, the Bengals decided to make him the first pick of the second day with the first choice in the fourth round.

The wound kept him out of minicamp, but he played in all four preseason games with seven tackles and a pass defensed. He played in four games as a rookie, primarily on special teams. In the past, Weathersby has spoken about a post-football career that would involve mentoring young men. He was a National Honor Society student in high school and became just the fourth player in Pac-10 history to be All-Academic four years. He also received his Oregon State degree in liberal studies.

When he visited his teammates during a June minicamp this past season, he was far from bitter.

"I don’t think like that, 'Why me?' " Weathersby said when asked about his bad luck. "What I went through last year and this year and to still be living, I feel blessed."