[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the soap opera continues...

timmyk93

March 17, 2005, 5:54 PM EST

Free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress is on the verge of signing a long-term deal with the Giants, Newsday has learned.

A person familiar with the Giants' situation said Burress had agreed to essentially the same deal that the team pulled off the table last week when the team had issued a statement saying there was no longer interest. Since then, Burress had changed agents, and his new representative, Drew Rosenhaus, flew to New York with Burress today to complete the deal. Burress was expected to pass his physical.

The contract is similar to the six-year, $24 million offer Burress rejected last week. The deal includes an $8 million signing bonus. Burress had hoped to earn a $12-million bonus.

The former Steelers receiver is coming off a disappointing season in which he caught 35 passes for 698 yards and five touchdowns. He missed five games with a hamstring injury, but returned for the playoffs.

The Giants believe Burress will be a good fit for their offense, especially with receiver Amani Toomer and tight end Jeremy Shockey around to ease the transition. Burress enjoyed his best season in 2002, when he had 78 catches for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns. Burress was a first-round pick of the Steelers in 2000.

One week after the New York Giants pulled an offer for Plaxico Burress off the table, the team was trying to re-sign the free-agent wide receiver.

Three NFL sources confirmed the club is talking to Burress, the former Pittsburgh Steelers' star, with one source saying he anticipates a settlement after the club met Thursday with Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"Drew knows how to make a deal," said the source. "If he's there something will get done."

A source close to the club said the Giants and Burress were close to a deal similar to the six-year, $24 million offer the club rescinded last week when talks dissolved. Shortly afterward, Burress fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus.

Rosenhaus was not available for comment.

Burress, who last year averaged 20 yards a catch, fills a need for the Giants, whose top wide receivers -- Ike Hilliard and Amani Toomer -- failed to catch a touchdown last year. Hilliard was released by the club earlier this year.

The Giants appeared close to a deal with Burress last week but pulled the offer when he rejected the two-tiered signing bonus, believing he deserved something closer to the $12 million signing bonus receiver Muhsin Muhammad got when he signed with Chicago.

The Giants then turned their attention to free agent wide receiver David Terrell, released by Chicago, but were unable to reach a settlement.

Slowed by injuries that kept him out of five of the last six regular-season games, Burress last year had his worst season since his rookie year. He finished with 35 catches for 698 yards and five touchdowns.

Burress, 27, was a first-round draft choice of Pittsburgh in 2000 and had consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons in 2001-02 for the Steelers. However, the club failed to make him an offer when he became an unrestricted free agent this year, signing free agent Cedrick Wilson instead.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the New York Giants have reached a six-year deal with free agent WR Plaxico Burress (Steelers). The deal is worth $25 million and includes $8.25 million in guaranteed bonuses, an initial signing bonus of $5 million and a $3.25 option bonus due during the spring of 2006. The first two years of the deal have guaranteed salaries and Burress will earn $11.38 million over the first two years. Over the first three years of the deal, he will earn $14.6 million.

The latest rumors on NY sports radio talk is that Abraham might get traded to Minnesota or Dallas, two teams with two first round draft picks this year. Remember, it was Parcells who drafted him.

The Terrell rumours have gotten quiet.... the Giants may still go back to Burress, the thinking being a change in agents will help resolve some testy negotiotions between Burress' last agent and the Giants front office.

736071[/snapback]

Sometimes, there is something to these rumors! I agree, Burress isnt all that, but a much needed aquisition nonetheless. It will be more difficult to put a DB on Shockey now. The fact that he's a deep threat should prevent the safeties from cheating into the box too. Nice pickup for the Gints.

Happy is not a big enough word to describe how I feel about the Giants offseason thus far.  Not having a 1st round pick doesn't feel so bad now.  Maybe they should trade it away more often! :D

738868[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more!!!

The Giants may not be good this year, but they'll certainly be interesting!

Seriously though, with these moves, and with Eli looking like a legit QB the last few games, and with the NFC still being relatively weak, are the Giants the sexy sleeper pick this year? They are in my book! :D

I have to agree, they have vastly improved the team this off season, more so than any other team in the NFL, I think. I think they will go 8-8, with a reasonably easy schedule but might be better than that. Sleeper? If I was in Vegas, I'd lay money on them as a sleeper playoff qualifier. Ernie gets kudos for his work this year. Nice job.

So does Plax move right into the #1 slot and Toomer to #2? What's our feelings on what this does to Amanis value?

739162[/snapback]

I think Toomer is still the go to guy, but Plax will take away some of the double teams. This will definitely upgrade Toomer. I think Plax's numbers will remain about the same.