[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reuben Droughns..........

Gators

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News: The Rocky Mountain News reports Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Reuben Droughns has to beat out Brandon Miree for playing time at the fullback position.   :D

748415[/snapback]

Not only Miree.... :D

Broncos | Miree Ahead of Droughns at Fullback - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:00:05 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said RB Reuben Droughns would have to beat out FB Brandon Miree in training camp for playing time at the fullback position next season.

Broncos | Pleased with Sapp - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:59:32 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan was pleased with the performance of FB Cecil Sapp last season and he is currently ahead of RB Reuben Droughns on the depth chart at fullback due to his physical style.

Broncos | Pleased with Johnson - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:58:52 -0800

Jeff Legwold, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan was pleased with the performance of FB Kyle Johnson last season and he is currently ahead of RB Reuben Droughns on the depth chart at fullback due to his physical style.

Is this just one of those generic, repetitve and redundant statements KFFL plugs in ...or a typo? And to think Travis Henry talked about "a slap in the face". :D

Edited by Hitman

Droughns is truly a product of the Denver system.

He showed nothing in Detroit and he didn't get better practically overnight.

747947[/snapback]

he got a lot better. detroit were complete morans to give up on him. the guy is a very solid NFL player, but he's not what rosenhaus is out there trying to sell him as. he'd be a great fit for a team like philly, to pair with westbrook.

News: The Rocky Mountain News reports Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Reuben Droughns has to beat out Brandon Miree for playing time at the fullback position.  :D

748415[/snapback]

let's not take things out of context here...

"It all depends on who wins out at what positions," Shanahan said. "If he played the fullback position, he's going to have to beat out Kyle Johnson and Cecil Sapp and Brandon Miree. (Johnson and Sapp) played quite well last year. . . . They both probably played a little bit better at the fullback position (than Droughns) just because they're a little bit more physical.

"Reuben gives a little different dimension as a receiver; he can obviously run the ball. He does a great job of catching the ball. Everybody's got strengths and weaknesses. As we go into the season, we're just going to try to find the top five, top six guys. Who's going to win out? I don't know, but you always want that depth because . . . as you saw (last season) you can lose them in a hurry."

Droughns is not a fullback. At less than 210, there is no way he is a decent fullback. Where was Anderson (230 lbs.) in this discsussion. It will be curious to see how the depth chart next year ends up. Right now it's probably a 3 way race for #2, between Griffin, Anderson, and Droughns.

he got a lot better.  detroit were complete morans to give up on him.  the guy is a very solid NFL player, but he's not what rosenhaus is out there trying to sell him as.  he'd be a great fit for a team like philly, to pair with westbrook.

748570[/snapback]

I disagree. Detroit has Kevin Jones, who had a higher yds/carry average (4.7 vs. 4.5) than Droughns in a vastly inferior offense. Methinks that Jones is a more talented halfback than Droughns.

I disagree.  Detroit has Kevin Jones, who had a higher yds/carry average (4.7 vs. 4.5) than Droughns in a vastly inferior offense.  Methinks that Jones is a more talented halfback than Droughns.

749444[/snapback]

i'm sorry. did i say droughns is better than kevin jones?

i'm sorry.  did i say droughns is better than kevin jones?

749466[/snapback]

You said that Detroit were "morans" to give up on him. I disagree with that as well. Droughns is a decent halfback, but no better than Tatum Bell, Mewelde Moore, Nick Goings, or any of the other mediocre backs who benefit from running behind good lines and/or playing in strong pass offenses.

FWIW, I agree that he's a "solid NFL player." But one of journeyman caliber, IMO.

You said that Detroit were "morans" to give up on him.  I disagree with that as well.  Droughns is a decent halfback, but no better than Tatum Bell, Mewelde Moore, Nick Goings, or any of the other mediocre backs who benefit from running behind good lines and/or playing in strong pass offenses.

FWIW, I agree that he's a "solid NFL player."  But one of journeyman caliber, IMO.

749679[/snapback]

and some people would say that cutting loose solid nfl players (with relatively small salaries) to make room for, well, some of the guys detroit has made room for, would qualify as moranic. if minny cut mewelde moore, they'd be morans too.

and some people would say that cutting loose solid nfl players (with relatively small salaries) to make room for, well, some of the guys detroit has made room for, would qualify as moranic.  if minny cut mewelde moore, they'd be morans too.

749688[/snapback]

I disagree that cutting Mewelde Moore would be "moranic." Take a look at the rushing stats for Vikes backs last year:

Moore: 379 yds, 5.8 yds/carry

Smith: 544 yds, 4.4 yds/carry

Williams: 161 yds, 5.4 yds/carry

Bennett: 279 yds, 3.9 yds/carry

Clearly, MIN's offensive system padded those stats. Just about anybody who could stay healthy and hold onto the ball would've been successful there. Hell, my dead grandmother could've amassed 1,000 yds if Tice would've given her the carries.

Guys like Droughns and Moore are "solid NFL players," but were only productive NFL players last year because of the offenses they played in. What kind of numbers do you suppose those guys would put up in Chicago or San Fran? Are the Broncos "morans" for releasing Olandis Gary? Do you honestly think that the Rams miss Lamar Gordon?

It's the system, silly. :D

Droughns is truly a product of the Denver system.

747947[/snapback]

I kinda agree here.

He certainly has the size for an every down back. But he had problems finding the endzone......

Guys like Droughns and Moore are "solid NFL players," but were only productive NFL players last year because of the offenses they played in. What kind of numbers do you suppose those guys would put up in Chicago or San Fran?

He certainly has the size for an every down back. But he had problems finding the endzone......

Edgerrin James?

Edited by WaterMan

I disagree that cutting Mewelde Moore would be "moranic." 

750210[/snapback]

Wow, you just really like to argue even when you are wrong, don't you Swerski? It wouldn't be moronic for a team to cut a RB with 1 year under his belt who at the very least makes an extremely good NFL 3rd down back, and could conceivably be considerably more valuable than that? I'm also assuming that he makes a relatively low salary since he was a 4th round draft pick (I think). LaMont Jordan just got an $8 million signing bonus with the Raiders, he also played behind a good O-line and I don't know that he is any better than Moore. You don't think the Vikings could trade Moore to somebody looking for a RB? Releasing him would be absolutely idiotic, sorry.

Guys like Droughns and Moore are "solid NFL players," but were only productive NFL players last year because of the offenses they played in.  What kind of numbers do you suppose those guys would put up in Chicago or San Fran?
True. But to play devil's advocate, I don't think there are many backs who could have had success in San Francisco or Chicago (the second half) last season.

Are the Broncos "morans" for releasing Olandis Gary?  Do you honestly think that the Rams miss Lamar Gordon?
I believe Gary became a free agent before signing with the Bills, who then traded him to the Lions...I'm not 100% certain of this, but I don't think he was ever outright released by the Broncos. And while I'm certain that the Rams don't miss Gordon, he was also traded, not released...trading a useful spare part is not moronic...outright releasing one that has considerable trade value (like Moore) would be. Agree? Edited by Skrappy1

Are the Broncos "morans" for releasing Olandis Gary?  Do you honestly think that the Rams miss Lamar Gordon?

750210[/snapback]

how f'n stupid are you, man?

the rams got value in return. not morans. gary left via free agency i believe (or maybe it was a trade). the broncos were smart not to pay him. again, not morans.

the detroit lions CUT droughns when he was making next to nothing. they didn't let him walk in contract negotiations, and they didn't get an ounce of value in return. that's dumb, period. it's smart to cut people who can't cut it in the nfl, or who have bad contracts that are damaging your cap situation. it's moranic to cut young guys with cheap contracts who can play.

the detroit lions CUT droughns when he was making next to nothing.  they didn't let him walk in contract negotiations, and they didn't get an ounce of value in return.  that's dumb, period.  it's smart to cut people who can't cut it in the nfl, or who have bad contracts that are damaging your cap situation.  it's moranic to cut young guys with cheap contracts who can play.

750691[/snapback]

Thing is, he couldn't play. IIRC, he spent both of his only two regular seasons with the Lions on IR. Dude couldn't stay healthy. Yeah, he'd shown a little bit in the couple of preseason games he'd been able to play in, but . . . if he can't get on the field, what's the point?

Peace

policy

Thing is, he couldn't play.  IIRC, he spent both of his only two regular seasons with the Lions on IR.  Dude couldn't stay healthy.  Yeah, he'd shown a little bit in the couple of preseason games he'd been able to play in, but . . . if he can't get on the field, what's the point?

751146[/snapback]

well, they seem to have been wrong about that as well. :D

Wow, you just really like to argue even when you are wrong, don't you Swerski?  

True. But to play devil's advocate,

750444[/snapback]

Talk about calling the kettle black, eh? :D

trading a useful spare part is not moronic...outright releasing one that has considerable trade value (like Moore) would be. Agree?

Sure, I agree with that. Then again, you're assuming that Moore has considerable trade value. I'm not so sure about that, as he wasn't able to retain his featured role after his ankle injury and the return of Onterrio. If I were an NFL GM, I'd want to see more out of Mewelde (no pun inteded) before I were to give up something of value for him. Right now, he just looks like another back in a system where pretty much any halfway decent HB can succeed.

LaMont Jordan just got an $8 million signing bonus with the Raiders, he also played behind a good O-line and I don't know that he is any better than Moore. You don't think the Vikings could trade Moore to somebody looking for a RB? Releasing him would be absolutely idiotic, sorry.

Well, that's the Raiders for you: The team that wasted a first-round pick on a freaking kicker. No intelligent GM would've given a mediocre back like Jordan an $8 million signing bonus... especially with the crop of RBs coming up in next month's draft. Of course, that also begs the question: If Moore is so talented, why didn't the Vikes trade him to Oakland?

how f'n stupid are you, man?

750691[/snapback]

Not as (the really bad word)ing stupid as you, but we're getting off topic now. :D

Yeah, the Rams got a TON of value out of Gordon. That third-round pick just might get them another backup-caliber RB in the draft... just like Gordon himself. :D

Droughns was on IR for two years in Detroit, yet you're calling them "morans" for cutting him? You're a real genius! :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Talk about calling the kettle black, eh?   :D

751252[/snapback]

How do you figure? You made a statement that you must've known was wrong when you said it, while I was agreeing with part of a comment you made regarding a situation, but also pointing out that there are also several ways to view that particular situation.

Sure, I agree with that.  Then again, you're assuming that Moore has considerable trade value.  I'm not so sure about that, as he wasn't able to retain his featured role after his ankle injury and the return of Onterrio.  If I were an NFL GM, I'd want to see more out of Mewelde (no pun inteded) before I were to give up something of value for him.  Right now, he just looks like another back in a system where pretty much any halfway decent HB can succeed.

You're saying that any back can have success in Minnesota, yet they haven't had a RB rush for over 1,000 yards since 2002. They also throw an awful lot of passes and screens to their RBs, and all 4 have shown excellent hands, especially Moore. Comparing their system to Denver's is simply not a fair comparison.

Well, that's the Raiders for you: No intelligent GM would've given a mediocre back like Jordan an $8 million signing bonus... especially with the crop of RBs coming up in next month's draft.  Of course, that also begs the question: If Moore is so talented, why didn't the Vikes trade him to Oakland?

I think Jordan is plenty capable, but there is no denying that the Raiders invested an awful lot in a yet-unproven RB. My point was, if a team is willing to invest so much in Jordan, and a team like Miami would trade for Lamar Gordon (they gave up a 3rd round pick I believe), you don't think that the Vikes could get at least a 3rd or 4th rounder for Moore? He was a 4th rounder last year and he certainly did nothing to reduce his value, if anything he increased it.

As far as why the Vikings didn't trade Moore to Oakland, there has been no indications that the Vikings are trying to trade Moore, or any of their other RBs. As a matter of fact, Tice has said several times that they aren't looking to trade any of them. If they were to make a trade, I'm assuming Bennett would be the most likely to go because of his salary...Moore's versatility and inexpensive salary give him a value that they probably want to keep, let alone the fact that they originally drafted him to be the successor to the 3rd down role filled by Moe Williams...he definitely showed he can do that and more last season.

If they did decide to trade Moore, I'm certain that they could do so fairly easily. Even though they would probably only get a 3rd rounder for him, that's undeniably a lot better than outright releasing him, so yes, they would absolutely have to be "morans" to cut Moore.

Edited by Skrappy1

Wow, I'm not clearly reading some of what you are trying to state here Swerski.

So, are any of the backs in Minn anything better than just good? From your stats it seems like Moore (a rookie last year by the way) had pretty good numbers compared to the rest of the pack. Did they win games with any of these backs in more often than another?

With Droughns I know what I saw last year and that was, as somebody else stated, a guy that knocked people over once he busted into the secondary. He didn't look like some regular old backup to me? I'm not saying he is a top 10-15 running back but I would definitely put him around top 20. That is better than "good" isn't it?

Detroit did not have as good offensive weapons when Droughns was there than what currently exist I think so the comparison of Droughns to Jones is handily in favor of Jones, but I don't really feel like we never really saw Droughns have an opportunity for a number of reasons so maybe his release could have been an oversight by Detroit.

I really don't care that much what happens to Droughns but there are a couple of teams that should try to get a look into acquiring him due to the little amount that would have to be given up to acquire him. It gives a bad team flexibility to address other needs and maybe pick up a possible top 20 back at the same time...just my 2 cents.

What's a Moran? Is it like a Moron but not quite as retarded?

What's a Moran? Is it like a Moron but not quite as retarded?

751372[/snapback]

Ooh, ooh, ooh...call on me, I know this one. :D

"Moran" is one of those words that us Huddlers use to show we are one of the crowd, and are thus hip to its lingo...kind of like using "Hugh" in place of huge. It comes from some redneck picketer somewhere who was holding a sign calling whoever he was protesting "morans." I'm sure someone will post the link. Oh yeah, if I've gathered the unspoken Huddle protocol correctly, it is now my official duty to shake my head at you for asking about the word, and call you a newbie. :D

Edit: Damm you Shot King, you beat me to it. :D

Edited by Skrappy1