[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sweet 16...

chiefjay

Ok, this topic is more about how geeked I am for the Sweet 16 and then the Elite Eight, some nice matchups today and tomorrow and then of course this weekend.

But if you are still alive in your pools, what do you need to happen to help keep you alive going into the final four.

I need Nova to beat NC and then Duke to beat Nova would help substantially.

I also need Wash to beat Louisville. I have Wash into the Final Four, the 1st place team has L'Ville.

CJ

UWM never saw a defense like that this year. The Illini are primed for a big effort on Saturday.

750047[/snapback]

A VERY nice effort today by the Illini in getting into the Elite Eight!! :D

A VERY nice effort today by the Illini in getting into the Elite Eight!!  :D

750074[/snapback]

I don't think Illinois has been very impressive in their run to the Elite Eight. I think they will lose badly to one of the higher ranked teams.

UWM never saw a defense like that this year. The Illini are primed for a big effort on Saturday.

750047[/snapback]

Hey it's UWM. Not exactly a sports powerhouse. They did very well considering. Illinois did a great job against them.

Saturday should be a great game.

I don't think Illinois has been very impressive in their run to the Elite Eight.  I think they will lose badly to one of the higher ranked teams.

751204[/snapback]

:D

Hate to use "the law of averages" here, but as an Illini fan, it's all I got. :D

So yeah, they've been generally unimpressive. But a 32-1 regular season /Big Ten tourney record can't be written off as unimportant.

So the law of averages would dictate that a team like Illinois, one that has been playing only good enough to win - barely - may, if the situation calls for it... be able to "TURN IT ON" and play incredible basketball.

Honestly, I was more scared of OK St. than Arizona. Glad the 'Cats beat them. Illinois won't have much trouble with 'Zona. Dee Brown will lock up Stoudemire. Williams is far too big and strong for Adams or that other goofball on the Wildcats. Who guards Luther Head? Augestine, if he stays out of foul trouble, will hopefully contain Frye. And by "contain", I mean "don't let him score 30". Frye is solid; he'll get his 20 and 10 boards. I will live with that.

Illinois will cruise by, 80-70.

And then, they'll (most likely) get Louisville. Louisville is playing better than anyone else right now. Better than UNC. Better than a Illini team in cruise control. At this point, I honestly hope Illinois "turns it on" for the game against Arizona, and have that passion continue in the Final Four against a very athletic Louisville squad.

Hey it's UWM. Not exactly a sports powerhouse. They did very well considering. Illinois did a great job against them.

Saturday should be a great game.

751224[/snapback]

Hey, maybe they weren't a powerhouse, but they were definitely a dark horse going into the tournament. Dick Vitale knows his crap. Look up his page on ESPN, he had great things to say about them. They were one of the most experienced (in terms of age) teams in the tournament. They have two legit scorers. They weren't small inside. Shrug. With all the parity in NCAA hoops right now, it's not surprising a mid-major like UWM made some noise.

And yeah, reflecting on Gilthorp's post (which you replied to)... the Illini will be ready for a huge game on Saturday. And they will respond with a big effort. Dee Brown will have to bring his A game.

Hate to use "the law of averages" here, but as an Illini fan, it's all I got.  :D

So yeah, they've been generally unimpressive.  But a 32-1 regular season /Big Ten tourney record can't be written off as unimportant.

So the law of averages would dictate that a team like Illinois, one that has been playing only good enough to win - barely - may, if the situation calls for it... be able to "TURN IT ON" and play incredible basketball.

Honestly, I was more scared of OK St. than Arizona.  Glad the 'Cats beat them.  Illinois won't have much trouble with 'Zona.  Dee Brown will lock up Stoudemire.  Williams is far too big and strong for Adams or that other goofball on the Wildcats.  Who guards Luther Head?  Augestine, if he stays out of foul trouble, will hopefully contain Frye.  And by "contain", I mean "don't let him score 30".  Frye is solid; he'll get his 20 and 10 boards.  I will live with that. 

Illinois will cruise by, 80-70.

And then, they'll (most likely) get Louisville.  Louisville is playing better than anyone else right now.  Better than UNC.  Better than a Illini team in cruise control.  At this point, I honestly hope Illinois "turns it on" for the game against Arizona, and have that passion continue in the Final Four against a very athletic Louisville squad.

751242[/snapback]

Great post, darin. Once again you read my mind!! :D

Honestly, I was more scared of OK St. than Arizona.  Glad the 'Cats beat them.  Illinois won't have much trouble with 'Zona.  Dee Brown will lock up Stoudemire.  Williams is far too big and strong for Adams or that other goofball on the Wildcats.  Who guards Luther Head?  Augestine, if he stays out of foul trouble, will hopefully contain Frye.  And by "contain", I mean "don't let him score 30".  Frye is solid; he'll get his 20 and 10 boards.  I will live with that. 

751242[/snapback]

Don't write off the Wildcats. Channing Frye is the most underrated player in the country. He's a poor man's Tim Duncan. When Stoudamire has been neutralized this year, Frye and Adams have taken games over. Obviously they are up against a fantastic team in the Illini, but I was impressed with Arizona last night, not so impressed with what I saw of Illinois.

not so impressed with what I saw of Illinois.

751491[/snapback]

I've been hearing that all year long. Illinois doesn't win impressively every game, but THEY WIN. Best record in the country, consensus #1 for most of the year, Big Ten regular season and tournament champ. Be impressed. They're GOOD!

Don't write off the Wildcats. Channing Frye is the most underrated player in the country. He's a poor man's Tim Duncan. When Stoudamire has been neutralized this year, Frye and Adams have taken games over. Obviously they are up against a fantastic team in the Illini, but I was impressed with Arizona last night, not so impressed with what I saw of Illinois.

751491[/snapback]

Look at some of the names on AZ:

Salim,

Hassan

Mustafa Shakur

Jawaan

Jesus

Mohamed

751491[/snapback]

Illinois will win tonight if they do what they've done for all but one game this season. They will win because of their defense, and tonight I'm hoping we see a good mixture of Jack Ingram and Nick Smith to mix it up with Channing Frye. This will be essential in the gameplan IMO. We don't need those guys to score any points, but it's 10 fouls to 5 there...add Augustine and it's 15-5.

On the offensive side, unless AZ sinks into a zone for most of the game, the Illini will grind it out because they'll still be moving for the full 40 minutes. As long as Williams and Head take the ball to the hole, they'll have great balance in their scoring.