[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edge to TB?

BigTen

I read on CBSSportsline (yeah, I know :D ) that the Bucs are still interested in Edge even though he has signed the one year deal. Anyone hear anything about this?

Edited by BigTen

I read on CBSSportsline (yeah, I know  :D ) that the Bucs are still interested in Edge even though he has signed the one year deal.  Anyone hear anything about this?

785156[/snapback]

The fact that he signed the deal makes trading him a touch easier, although it is just a formality if a trade where to occur.

Tampa will not make any trade until they've agreed on a new long term deal with Edge. Until they start to talk about that, no trade is in the works.

Not agreeing to a long term deal is why the Corey Simon to Baltimore trade has not occured. Baltimore thought he wanted too much and told Philly they where no longer interested.

I believe I saw on that "First and Ten" segment of "Cold Pizza" that Ronde Barber would be in the deal for Edge.

785790[/snapback]

Hmm...:D

That would make a LOT of sense for both teams. Barber is the perfect Cover-2 cornerback and he's currently skipping workouts in hopes of getting an extension.

That would make a LOT of sense for both teams. Barber is the perfect Cover-2 cornerback and he's currently skipping workouts in hopes of getting an extension.

786775[/snapback]

The Colts aren't keeping Edge because of his hit next year if they give him a new contract. Will Barber be that much cheaper? I know he won't be nearly as much, but will the Colts be ok with that?

If so, not a bad trade if they also get a decent pick in the trade (2nd?)

786775[/snapback]

The media in Tampa have talked about this before. I heard about us sending Barber to the Colts plus out 2nd round pick for Edge. I am all for it unless Edge wants a huge contract. I think there will be alot of surprises coming out of Buc Camp in the next few days.

This is just like the trade rumors in San Diego that had Brees negotiating a deal with the Niners and if they agreed to terms, a draft day deal would happen. This would avoid the Niners having to give up the two firsts for Brees (not worth it).

Look at all these rumors...

Uh, Edge does want a huge contract.  I would take Ronde Barber and a second round pick for Edge.  No hesitation.  I doubt this trade happens.

787138[/snapback]

Edge wants a huge contract because Edge has earned a huge contract. I hate the Colts (have I mentioned that before), but taking Edge over Williams after trading Faulk away was a great, great move.

I agree I doubt this happens, I thought Tampa had cap problems of their own. If not for cap problem, I'm sure the Colts would keep Edge.

I agree I doubt this happens, I thought Tampa had cap problems of their own.  If not for cap problem, I'm sure the Colts would keep Edge.

790168[/snapback]

I don't think this trade happens with TB or any other team for that matter because no one can afford him. I believe he would count around 9 million against the salary cap this year and I don't think there's a team out there that can take on that much of a hit.

I don't think this trade happens with TB or any other team for that matter because no one can afford him.  I believe he would count around 9 million against the salary cap this year and I don't think there's a team out there that can take on that much of a hit.

790217[/snapback]

His current 'contract' is a one year deal with no bonus, so as soon as a new contract is signed with his new team, the old one goes away. The new team will most likely negotiate a new contract with him before trading for him. This is common.

If not for cap problem, I'm sure the Colts would keep Edge.

790168[/snapback]

The Colts don't have "cap problems" at all. As a matter of fact, they are stilll $8 million under the cap for this season. They just don't want to tie up all their future money on offense, 'cause it hasn't been working.

As you anti-Manning Colt-bashers love to point out, they have not won the Super Bowl with all that offense. Of course, they've been a top team in the league since 1999, and a very exciting team to watch, which is a lot more than most NFL teams can say. However, with Freeney's contract coming up, and being unwilling to sign Marcus Washington (who made the Pro Bowl with the Redskins last year), it appears the Colts have decided to try and level out the disparity betweeen offense and defense. Unfortunately, Edge seems to be the unfair recipient of that decision.

Edited by CaptainHook