[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offensive line preview

Green Bay Packers

14 Sacks Allowed (Tie-1st)

4.3 Yards Per Carry (Tie-11th)

The Packers hope that C Mike Flanagan can return to health, because standout guards LG Mike Wahle (signed by Carolina) and RG Marco Rivera (signed by Dallas) won’t be returning at all. Flanagan missed the final 13 games of 2004 after undergoing knee surgery, and though Grey Ruegamer filled in admirably for him, Flanagan’s presence was sorely missed. Despite the loss of Wahle and Rivera, the Packers appear set to reload in a hurry. Ruegamer should replace Rivera at right guard, Kevin Barry is the favorite to start at right tackle, Brad Bedell will start at left tackle and free agent signees Adrian Klemm and Matt O’Dwyer will compete for the starting left guard spot.

I hate to nitpick but the projections at tackle are way off. They did lose Wahle and Rivera but their two starting tackles Clifton (LT) and Tauscher (RT) are returning. I believe Klemm and O'Dwyer will fill the guard positions. Barry has come into camp in great shape and is working hard to win a starting job, but so far they haven't given him any reps at either guard spot and it looks like he may remain as the top backup at RT and continue his role as the extra TE in the U-71 package. Ruegamer could push for one of the starting guard spots, but they really like him as a reserve because he can play either guard or center.

That's from THIS site? Wow -- you're not nitpicking at all, LBS. That's about as inaccurate as it gets.

DMD, what happened here?

834925[/snapback]

I'll take a look at it later, but I know that offensive line pieces are the #1 most difficult thing to write about. It takes forever, the available information is minimal compared to the rest of the offense and offensive lines by their nature always change and are the most susceptible to injury.

I know there is some good information in it. I wrote an offensive line piece for the first (and likely the last) time ever this year that will appear in the Fantasy Football Index magazine. Those articles are a ***** to write.

I'll go back over it and see what changes need to be made. There could have been some player movement or new developments since he wrote all of it.

I'll take a look at it later, but I know that offensive line pieces are the #1 most difficult thing to write about. It takes forever, the available information is minimal compared to the rest of the offense and offensive lines by their nature always change and are the most susceptible to injury.

I know there is some good information in it. I wrote an offensive line piece for the first (and likely the last) time ever this year that will appear in the Fantasy Football Index magazine. Those articles are a ***** to write.

I'll go back over it and see what changes need to be made. There could have been some player movement or new developments since he wrote all of it.

834934[/snapback]

Well, to clarify, the article is well written and I know O-line information isn't easy to come by. My main beef with the Packers' blurb is that the author completely left out Green Bay's best two linemen -- Clifton and Tauscher. Those two guys are arguably top-10 at their position in the NFL. They're also signed long-term, so there's just no way anyone else would start in their place.

I read most of the other teams' sections and didn't see any other mistakes, though. Not sure what happened with the Clifton/Tauscher omission. :D

Well the Bengals are mostly right. I think this is a position where it really helps to hear from the homers who read every last freaking article on their team - like me. :D

Cincinnati Bengals

31 Sacks Allowed (Tie-7th)

4.2 Yards Per Carry (Tie-14th)

One would think that things could only get better for Cincinnati’s offense in 2005. After all, the Bengals return all 11 starters on offense from 2004, including all five starters on an OL that remained a healthy bunch throughout the year. T Willie Anderson, LT Levi Jones and RG Bobbie Williams started in every game, LG Eric Steinbach started 15 games and C Rich Braham started in 10 before suffering a slight fracture of a fibula on Dec. 12 at New England. Cincinnati also drafted Eric Ghiaciuc (Central Michigan) in the fourth round, and signed Ben Wilkerson (LSU) as a rookie free agent. Wilkerson was rated the No. 1 center coming out of college before he injured his knee on the last play of LSU’s Oct. 30 game against Vanderbilt.

I wouldn't necessarily call them healthy however. Those "starts" are deceptive.

LT Levi Jones was still working on a bum knee that didn't heal correctly from late season two years ago. Didn't practice much in the preseason and essentialy played hurt all year. He's just tough as they come though and gutted it out. Supposedly much better this year. Supposed to be close to 100%.

LG Eric Steinbach had a bum elbow from surgery in the offseason. Didn't practice much in the preseason. It was weak all season so he didn't get to use the proper techniques in blocking as he relied on moving defenders with his body more than arms. Supposed to be close to 100%.

C Rich Braham had a sprained knee in the beginning of the season and that didn't really get good until week 4 or 5 even though he started some of those weeks.

RG Bobbie Williams was a FA pickup from Philly and reportedly didn't pick up the offense so well until halfway through in the year.

RT Big Willie Anderson is a stud. Slightly bum knee most of the season as well. Has lost about 20 pounds this offseason (reportedly played around 340 last year) to be lighter on that knee.

All in all, this group really gutted through some injuries that began before or during the preseason and didn't really heal. This year, they are going into camp much helathier.

This group could really shine this year. I compare them to the Stelers line from last year and two years ago. I think you could see a similar jump in play. These guys could really compete at an elite level IMO.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

834934[/snapback]

It seems to me that O line COACH movements and developments are just as important as the ones for the players. You have noted Houck's movement from the Bolts to Miami in the article and have devoted another piece to changes in head coaches and coordinators. I'm sure there are other good O line coaches out there that haved moved around too. Can you include information on these coaches too?

I've read a lot of local newspapers that say that Tauscher, is indeed moving to guard. The line is still going to be amazing. Yes, they lost in my opinion, the best guard in the league in Whale, but Klemm can play, and Flanny coming back healthy, this line will be stout... Whale is to guard as Flannigan is to center... Now if we can figure out how to get Green to quit beating up his wife and start holding on to the darn ball.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_21345686.shtml

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jun05/331906.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jun05/330968.asp

Everything I'm seeing suggests that unless O'Dwyer or Klemm flop at guard Barry will be the backup at RT. Of course he hasn't had a chance to show what he can do at guard since he's slimmed down. If he gets a chance and impresses the coaches they may have no choice but to put the best 5 guys out there.

Oh my god...Mark Tauscher may have just become my 2nd favorite Packer. He's got me cracking up right now.

The following quote is in response to OG/OT Kevin Barry slimming down from 350 to 336:

"Is he thinner? That's like throwing a lawn chair off the Titanic," teammate Mark Tauscher joked of Barry. :D

:D