[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just as I thought, looking more and more

loaf

But the frontrunners – at least on paper - are Suggs, Droughns and Green. If the Browns keep all of them and try to work them in, which is what Crennel hints may happen – “When you have three good players, you are going to use them. If you feel they are good enough to play and help us win, you’ll find a role for them” – it bodes well for the Browns as a team. Depth is a good problem to have.

article

Prediction time. I think Droughns and Suggs start out the season as a 50/50 split but by week 5, Suggs takes control of the starting job and rides it the rest of the season. Green stinks and should be dropped.

I wonder if the Browns will run up the middle on 3rd & 8 under the Crennel regime? It seems like whoever the coach is, they still can't get away from the stupid running calls. Until proven otherwise, I make it a point to not take any Browns RB (unless it is in very late rounds).

Just curious, but why does nobody like Droughns? I didn't see him play at all last year, but is he just a product of the productive Denver OL who really isn't as great without those surroundings?

I wonder if the Browns will run up the middle on 3rd & 8 under the Crennel regime?  It seems like whoever the coach is, they still can't get away from the stupid running calls.  Until proven otherwise, I make it a point to not take any Browns RB (unless it is in very late rounds). 

Just curious, but why does nobody like Droughns?  I didn't see him play at all last year, but is he just a product of the productive Denver OL who really isn't as great without those surroundings?

849067[/snapback]

After watching him in a number of games, to me the answer is "yes" he is a product of Denver's running system. He is fairly good between the tackles, and is great at the "one cut" move. He rarely got hit behind the line and never dances around. The issue with him is that 1) He wore down after 4-5 games (probably just because he wasn't used to nor didn't expect that much playing time), 2) he doesn't have much speed and get get around the corner, 3) has had one good year.

I really hope he does well, but until I see it, I'm not sure he's even as good as Anderson or the other RB from Denver that went to Detroit and did nothing.

I heard on NFL radio that Green has been hitting the gym "everyday".  The guy was a first round pick for a reason.  If he can keep his nose clean, he could still be a playa.

848975[/snapback]

:D:D:D

The Denver system had to play a part of Droughn's success. Cleveland's O-line has been terrible over the past few years, and their passing O isn't much better.

I have a hard time believing that Droughn's is a better back than Green or will succeed in Cleveland.

I heard on NFL radio that Green has been hitting the gym "everyday".  The guy was a first round pick for a reason.  If he can keep his nose clean, he could still be a playa.

848975[/snapback]

I think Green has absolutely no inherent running back skills. Watching him run up to the line, stutter step, then dive forward for a yard, drove me crazy last year. First round pick? Look at the other Brown's first round picks since they came back---not such a great track record.

I think Suggs is the real deal. He should be the starter, barring injury.

I think Green has absolutely no inherent running back skills.  Watching him run up to the line, stutter step, then dive forward for a yard, drove me crazy last year.  First round pick?  Look at the other Brown's first round picks since they came back---not such a great track record.

I think Suggs is the real deal.  He should be the starter, barring injury.

849179[/snapback]

I agree 100% that Suggs should start. But if Shanahan had Willie Green and Droughns last year, who would have gotten the rock when Anderson went down? I think Droughns will bomb in Cleveland.

I agree 100% that Suggs should start. But if Shanahan had Willie Green and Droughns last year, who would have gotten the rock when Anderson went down? I think Droughns will bomb in Cleveland.

849199[/snapback]

Maybe, but it sure is fun to shout "REUUUUUUUUUUUUBAN!" :D

Suggs: Message received

Friday, June 17, 2005 By Steve Doerschuk Repository sports writer

BEREA — The Browns’ No. 1 running back job is Lee Suggs’ to lose.

"As part of the deal, Head Coach Romeo Crennel and Offensive Coordinator Mo Carthon want Suggs to be a better receiving threat.

“I’m trying to get my route running better, one-on-one against linebackers,” Suggs said.

During his injury-plagued 2004 season, Suggs had a sizzling finish on the run, going out with three-straight 100-yard games. But it’s worth noting he also had a five-catch, 100-yard receiving game against the Bengals during mid-October.

In his nine other games, though, he had forgettable totals of 15 catches for 78 yards.

It remains to be seen how a quarterback change will effect Suggs, but the third-year pro likes Trent Dilfer.

“He’s a true vet,” Suggs said. “You can see his poise and confidence when he comes in the huddle.”

Suggs missed the first three games of 2004 with a neck stinger, then sat out three late-autumn games with turf toe.

Then came those three 100-yard rushing games.

“At the beginning of the year, I had a neck brace on,” Suggs said. “That was pretty hard.

“At the end, I started feeling like myself again.”

Suggs shrugs off that the Browns traded for Reuben Droughns, who rushed for 1,240 yards with the Broncos last season.

“I suspected they would bring in somebody,” he said.

Droughns was running behind a line far more polished than the one at Suggs’ disposal. It has become evident to most that, while Droughns is a rugged inside runner and William Green was a first-round draft pick, Suggs is the most versatile and talented back on the roster.

“I finally got healthy toward the end last year,” Suggs said. “I’m trying to carry it over to this season.”

www.cantonrep.com Warning!!! Registration Required.

Hmmmmm...... :D Seems to depend on which report you read as to whether or not it's RBBC in Cleveland, or Suggs is the guy.

Here's another report that states the #1 RB position is Suggs to lose.

By Steve King, Staff Writer

June 19, 2005

"If the Browns’ Lee Suggs is ever going to bust out and establish himself as an NFL running back, this would seem to be the time.

Or maybe not.

On one hand, based on the way he finished last year, Suggs appears to be coming into his own. He ended the season with three consecutive 100-yard games, the first time a Brown has done that in 26 years – since 1978.

At that point, Suggs wasn’t even born. Current coach Romeo Crennel was tutoring the defensive ends at the University of Mississippi, and general manager Phil Savage was a 13-year-old boy growing up in Mobile, Ala. memorizing every sports statistic imaginable.

Suggs picked up 105 yards against San Diego, 143 versus Miami (in a club-record 38 attempts) and 131 in the finale at Houston. Add it all up and he had 379 yards in 85 carries, averaging nearly 4.5 yards per attempt. That’s exceptional, especially when three facts are considered.

First, Suggs was working behind a makeshift line that had been decimated by injuries. Also, the Browns were en route to a disappointing 4-12 finish, so there really wasn’t anything to play for – at least team-wise - then.

And lastly, history wasn’t on Suggs’ side. The club has struggled running the ball for two decades. The Browns’ last 1,000-yard rushers were Earnest Byner and Kevin Mack in 1985.

“It was a nice building block at the end of the year,” Suggs said recently. “It gives me some momentum heading into this season.”

Suggs picked up a combined 222 yards in three other games and ended the year far and away as the team’s leading rusher with 744 yards. So on a club that was really struggling to find positives, Suggs provided plenty.

That would seem to be enough to give him the nod as the starter heading into training camp, and it has. That’s the first time that’s happened in Suggs’ three years as a Brown. As a rookie in 2003, he was still recovering from a shoulder injury and missed camp, and then last year he was in a dogfight with William Green. Neither player had an edge in camp. "

www.clevelandbrowns.com Yeah...this one doesn't require registration. :D

The article does talk about that while Suggs is #1 going into training camp, he's definitely going to have competition and if he stumbles or one of the other guys clearly outplays him.....that's the end of Suggs as Clevelands #1 RB.

Guest THEbigred
Prediction time.  I think Droughns and Suggs start out the season as a 50/50 split but by week 5, Suggs takes control of the starting job and rides it the rest of the season.  Green stinks and should be dropped.

848574[/snapback]

Nah - Suggs is the starter outright from Day 1 and only loses any really significant time if he gets hurt. Droughns should see some goal line action though.

Suggs is the starter outright from Day 1 and only loses any really significant time if he gets hurt.  Droughns should see some goal line action though.

853805[/snapback]

I hope you're right. Otherwise there's another RBBC mess in Cleveland!!