[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Preist larry johnson

mrpoggs

I have the 4th pick in my draft this year. I think it's going to go Manning, LT, Alexander. If Preist is there I think I've got to take him. My question is how early would you select Johnson since he's proven he can come in and pound out stats if Preist goes down.

I have the 4th pick in my draft this year. I think it's going to go Manning, LT, Alexander. If Preist is there I think I've got to take him.  My question is how early would you select Johnson since he's proven he can come in and pound out stats if Preist goes down.

870589[/snapback]

I'd say 5th round. all the starters pretty much are washed out through four rounds. then in the fifth backup RBs are taken and Johnson is high on the list. so if ya get priest, get another RB in the 2nd, two WRs in the 3rd and 4th, then johnson, then a QB. that should work.

in the first 12 team mock, Holmes went with the fifth pick and Johnson was picked up in the 7th round.

in the 2nd 12 team mock, Holmes went 4th and was ahd in the 9th round

(both times by the Holmes owner)

In the ten team mock, Holmes went 6th and then Johnson was taken in the 5th round, which is fairly early by comparison considring the lesser number of teams in the mock.

Here is the write up on that ten team mock, where Johnson was taken in the 5th:

This plan looks like someone who normally drafted in 12 team leagues couldn't believe the lasting RB value in a 10 man league. Took Holmes and later Ahman Green, then RB3 of Jordan. Finally WR1 was Jackson before once again going RB with the necessary handcuff of Larry Johnson. Starters would have looked stronger with the Jordan pick going for Horn, Wayne or Andre Johnson or even Gates.

Solid at QB with Favre and later Brady but waiting until the 10.05 left him with only Wiggins for a TE1. Left PK and DF until the end for no difference makers there as well.

Overall, this plan ended up with some nice RB depth to be sure, but it came at a big price of delaying other positions - compounded by having to take Larry Johnson. The only top player on the roster is Holmes and he may not last the whole year. The rest of the team is largely made up of players outside the top 10 in their position. This would be a squad that make it hard to compete each week for high score.

From the 12-teamer where LJ was taken in the 6th:

Fourth pick made the choice every draft sees now or at the 3rd pick - take Holmes or not? By the 4th pick, it's almost impossible to ignore what Holmes can do and yet not possible to accept the big risk of injury. Went with safe pick of Martin at the 2.09 which was likely wise and then took McNabb with the 3.04 as final Tier 1 QB on board.

Could not resist Gates with the 4.09 pick and after four picks looked very strong. However - WR did not start until 5.04 and Coles is better cast as a WR2 not WR1. Then had to take Larry Johnson with the 6th before someone stole him and rendered the Holmes pick as wasted late in the season. After that, it was mostly chasing needs instead of value picks.

Toefield could be the JAX starter and Gore a nice risk pick. At best these WR's will be only average. Strong at QB and starting RB, TE and DEF and weak at WR and PK but those are the two areas easiest to upgrade on the waiver wire. Taking an early QB and TE, along with having to get LJ was probably too much to aim for as other positions were being stripped.

The other draft with Holmes and LJ in the 7th got a great review as the remaining roster was filled in nicely between the neccesary pick up of LJ.

All said, letting it go past the 6th in a 12 team league is a big risk (but then again, so is taking Holmes), and if you gamble and get him in the 7th (only 6 picks between them, so possibly not a huge gamble) you've made a major gain.

I'm keeping both Holmes and Jamal Lewis on one team. I'm a lot more thrilled about Lewis in 2005 than Holmes, might want to reconsider who you take at that spot.

If you are determined to take Holmes keep in mind there is a group out there very high on Johnson as a sleeper so he could go much earlier than you anticipate. There are also jerks like me who will take someone like Damien Nash before a 4th WR in case Chris Brown gets hurt again.

Edited by Clubfoothead

I'm keeping both Holmes and Jamal Lewis on one team.  I'm a lot more thrilled about Lewis in 2005 than Holmes, might want to reconsider who you take at that spot.

If you are determined to take Holmes keep in mind there is a group out there very high on Johnson as a sleeper so he could go much earlier than you anticipate.  There are also jerks like me who will take someone like Damien Nash before a 4th WR in case Chris Brown gets hurt again.

870631[/snapback]

I'm not tottaly sold on holmes at 4 but RB's in the KC offence always seem to put up big numbers. I'm also considering Duece Mcallister or Jamal lewis at 4 what do you think?

I'm not tottaly sold on holmes at 4 but RB's in the KC offence always seem to put up big numbers. I'm also considering Duece Mcallister or Jamal lewis at 4 what do you think?

870689[/snapback]

deuce i dont like that high. i would take portis over deuce. so my advice is to take either:

Lewis

Portis

Holmes

in that order.

I have the 4th pick in my draft this year. I think it's going to go Manning, LT, Alexander. If Preist is there I think I've got to take him.  My question is how early would you select Johnson since he's proven he can come in and pound out stats if Preist goes down.

870589[/snapback]

If you feel you HAVE to make this pick, I have to ask are you sold. Picking him fourth assures that you MUST pick up Johnson. The question you pose is almost impossible to answer. You want to pick him up as late as possible, but if you miss him you are at extreme risk. This thread shows that he is going from 5th to 9th round in various mocks.

As I posted in a similar thread, I too have the 4th pick and am also struggling with this option. I have until Labor Day to decide, but am trying hard to keep myself talked out of Priest, not so much because I am not sold on him, but becuase of the question you have posed here. If for example the answer is 5th round too early 6th about right....what is someone steals him in the 5th or before you in 6.

I think the risk is high...is it too high...well now THATS the question.

everything I'm reading is that Priest is 100%.  don't overypay for LJ when there are other serviceable backups and you can also get somebody off the wire by the time Priest would go down.

871320[/snapback]

This is the best advice here. And remember, if you draft better overall talent instead of reaching for Johnson too early, you may get some trade bait to get Johnson later anyway.