[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty League Newbie

I've played in redraft leagues for 10 years and this will be my first time with a dynasty league. It is a new league and I need advice on how to draft. I have the #4 pick in a 10 team league which uses your basic scoring of 1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving, 1 point per 20 yards passing, 6 points for all TD's except passing(4pts.) and 1/2 a point for all receptions. From all indications LT2 and Alexander will go 1 & 2. I think the owner at #3 is leaning towards Edge. Do I go with another young RB or do I take someone like Moss or Manning? At what point to you start looking at older stud players(Holmes in particular)? Any advice would be appreciated.

McGahee is a great pick....but if somehow Manning is there at #4 in a Dynasty league...you take him in a heartbeat. He will be throwing up 40+ TDs for another five years. He will be one heck of an anchor for your team.

You can't lose - you will have LT, S.Alex, McGahee, or Manning...a great way to start your Dynasty.

Yeah, but a chance...why not take a sure thing?

Although Manning is a sure thing for large production, i think you can't pass up on McGahee who is the Bills future. If passing TD's were 6 points i would say Manning, but when they are 4 i think Mannings value slips to the later part of the first round.

Keeper has a set amount of players you can keep each year and the rest go back into a draft pool.

Dynasty league only has a draft for the rookies and every other stays on the same roster...hence you build a dynasty.

The biggest difference is people in dynasty leagues shy away from the older players and younger backups with potential become more valuable because you can let them sit as a backup until they start ripping it up.

Those two questions are variable from league to league. The interesting dynasty leagues have average rosters and 14-16 teams.

As for the FA in rookie draft, i think that depends on the league. Last dynasty league i drafted in used that system.

Our dynasty (which includes IDPs) has a cash system which we use to bid on FAs during the season. The 35 players on our rosters need to be given a contract (with a team cap of 90 years). When a contract expires, the league may bid on the player with the same set of dollars used for FA pickups; the owner has the option to match the highest offer to retain the player. We have our Rookie Draft shortly after the real Draft, which snakes by order of last year's finish.

Yeah, but a chance...why not take a sure thing?

Although Manning is a sure thing for large production, i think you can't pass up on McGahee who is the Bills future. If passing TD's were 6 points i would say Manning, but when they are 4 i think Mannings value slips to the later part of the first round.

880014[/snapback]

I didn't know there was a sure thing in FF. I'll tell you I'm not sure how McGahee & the Bills are going to do this year. I'd take Jones & his situation over McGahee in any draft format. I'll agree Manning is a is a safer, but it is easier to get a quality QB later on.

As stated above, he's playing in a 10 team dynasty league. Plenty of good young RBs and/or stud WRs will be available at #17 and #24. Take Manning if he's there and don't look back. If he goes #3, I'd go w/ McGahee. JMO.

Not sure i buy into all the hype on mcgahee. Does he have potential, Yes. Did he have a great season last year, Yes. But so did the Jones' boys, and neither one of them has a rookie qb and a new OL that will be facing 8 in the box quite a bit this year. Harrington and Bledsoe aren't exactly superstars, but with the wr's in Detroit and a vetran qb in Dallas, I can see one or both of the Jones having as good a year as mcgahee and probaly even better.

Now that i got that off my chest, i say you take Manning and if he ain't there take Edge. (I personely might even take Priest)

The key to your draft if you get Manning will be to draft best available/best value the rest of the way. I've seen quite a few mocks where manning went early and panic set in on later picks. Rb's will be more plentiful later in a 10 teamer(the rookies wiil tend to push vets out even later) and and getting the best value will be the key. Don't be afraid to go for a wr at your #2 or #3 if a top tier player is available. That may sound crazy but if you start a run others may follow and your rb's will still be there later. If they don't you have some great trade bait for later.

Good luck

Edited by alchico

What about Jamal Lewis or Clinton Portis over McGahee? Just throwing someother ideas out, but Jamal is still pretty young and he is set to have a huge year and probably more years to come. Portis was pretty bad last year but he is only 23...In my opinion I would take Willis over Portis but I think it would eb hard to pass up on Lewis in that situation.

Not sure i buy into all the hype on mcgahee. Does he have potential, Yes. Did he have a great season last year, Yes. But so did the Jones' boys, and neither one of them has a rookie qb and a new OL that will be facing 8 in the box quite a bit this year. Harrington and Bledsoe aren't exactly superstars, but with the wr's in Detroit and a vetran qb in Dallas, I can see one or both of the Jones having as good a year as mcgahee and probaly even better.

Now that i got that off my chest, i say you take Manning and if he ain't there take Edge. (I personely might even take Priest)

The key to your draft if you get Manning will be to draft best available/best value the rest of the way. I've seen quite a few mocks where manning went early and panic set in on later picks. Rb's will be more plentiful later in a 10 teamer(the rookies wiil tend to push vets out even later) and and getting the best value will be the key. Don't be afraid to go for a wr at your #2 or #3 if a top tier player is available. That may sound crazy but if you start a run others may follow and your rb's will still be there later. If they don't you have some great trade bait for later.

Good luck

882304[/snapback]

:D

I agree with everything you say. This is the line of thinking I've been going over in my head a lot lately. I'm just not very comfortable with McGahee and I can't understand why Julius Jones does not get the same love as McGahee is getting. I would love to pick Kevin Jones but I'm afraid with Mooch as the coach the rushing TD's will be a lot less than the average NFL team if you go by his coaching history.

I would love to take Edge but I'm pretty sure the owner at #3 is going to take him.

I would take Priest if I knew for sure I was going to be able to get Larry Johnson as well. Of course there are a few more players you can include in this group but like everyone else they have a downside.