[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ah, finally cold enough here in Coastal NC

PantherDave

For those who don't like it, must be used to that northern slop, or maybe ya don't like peas. My Father-n-Law said he absolutely hated split pea, but then he came in the kitchen about 4 years ago..."What smells so good", I told him split pea soup, and he claimed the stuff his mother made and my mo-law didn't smell like that ever. So, I told him to pull up a chair and have some SPS Southern style. He now loves it with a passion, and I take him several qts a year now. If anybody wants a very good recipie for it just let me know and I'll post it in the thread later. Peace PD.

Edited by PantherDave

PD's Split Pea

1lb bag split peas

1 meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks

8-9 cups cold water

1 medium onion-sliced

1cup diced celery

1 cup diced carrots

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 package country ham bits or baked ham bits(Hormel etc.)

In dutch oven, combine green split peas, ham bone or hocks, cold water, sliced onion, diced celery and carrots, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally(every 20 min). Remove ham bone or hocks. Add ham bits(if you like it more salty-use country ham bits, less salty baked ham bits). Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Enjoy-Peace PD.

it's funny..... not something i would typically look for, but something i like....never made it at home. if i did, my ingredients would prob look pretty close to what is mentioned.

looks good PD :D

some things i might do:

- dice bacon and crisp em (set them aside)

- saute the onions, carrots, celery in bacon fat until you just get some color. add to water and peas.

- simmer as pd suggests, then remove hocks

- puree soup

- add bacon bits, and then s&p

Don't worry about sauteing the oninos, for after 1 1/2 covered at simmer and 20 uncovered they are near liquid and have absorbed the ham flavor completely, while adding their own wonderful juice to the stock( and you won't that in the soup, plus that ham bone is going to add some grease, and ya don't want it to be greasy)-Peace PD.

I do not like peas.  I do like split pea soup. 

1266400[/snapback]

Same here. But I have found split pea soup to be absolutely delicious or incredibly inedible. Not much in between for some reason.

PD's Split Pea

1lb bag split peas

1 meaty ham bone or 2 ham hocks

8-9 cups cold water

1 medium onion-sliced

1cup diced celery

1 cup diced carrots

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 package country ham bits or baked ham bits(Hormel etc.)

In dutch oven, combine green split peas, ham bone or hocks, cold water, sliced onion, diced celery and carrots, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally(every 20 min). Remove ham bone or hocks. Add ham bits(if you like it more salty-use country ham bits, less salty baked ham bits). Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.

Enjoy-Peace PD.

1252070[/snapback]

Sounds good, PD - thanks. I love SPS, but usually just doctor up some Campbell's. :D