[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The worst team in the NFL?

keggerz

Are we debating the "worst team" or the "worst franchise"?

The Niners are one of the worst teams, their record makes it tough to argue against that. Althought they did play a tough schedule outside their division, and played some teams reasonably tough in games they had no business being in.

Now if we are debating "worst franchise" you all are HIGH who try to put the Niners at the bottom!! Guess who has 1) the most wins, 2) the most playoff wins, and 3) THE MOST SUPER BOWLS since 1979....you guessed it, the SF 49ers!!

Every team has its up and down time. Yeah, the Niners are in a down time, and deserve to be considered one of the worst teams. But in no way are they even close to the worst franchise.

SF just looks extremely talent-thin; nothing against Mike Nolan, but going into next year, who would you rather have - him or Kubiak? I fall strongly on the side of "Carr, Johnson, D Davis, and Kubiak" as opposed to "Smith, Lloyd, Nolan, and RB TBD". Defenses are about equal, though.

Interesting takes on the Carr vs Harrington debate above - didn't realize they were THAT close; still, I think both have enough TALENT to be reasonably productive NFL QBs; I think Carr gets a pass because he is perceived (rightly or wrongly) to have more TOUGHNESS than Harrington. I recall watching bit of the Bucs stomping the Lions in week 2 - near the end of the game, Harrington was going down the bench and encouraging his teammates on the butt end of an eventual 38-6 score. Granted, he may have been just giving the "it's one game early in the season, keep your chins up, we'll work hard and get 'em next week" speech, which is not a bad thing by any stretch, but that might be one of those things were some look and think it's "soft" and he should be chewing ass, without a glimmer of whether or not an ass-chewing would be good or merely counterproductive in that situation.

Anyway, just my small take on things.

SF just looks extremely talent-thin; nothing against Mike Nolan, but going into next year, who would you rather have - him or Kubiak? I fall strongly on the side of "Carr, Johnson, D Davis, and Kubiak" as opposed to "Smith, Lloyd, Nolan, and RB TBD". Defenses are about equal, though.

1302349[/snapback]

You forgot about Bush :D

Interesting takes on the Carr vs Harrington debate above - didn't realize they were THAT close; still, I think both have enough TALENT to be reasonably productive NFL QBs; I think Carr gets a pass because he is perceived (rightly or wrongly) to have more TOUGHNESS than Harrington. I recall watching bit of the Bucs stomping the Lions in week 2 - near the end of the game, Harrington was going down the bench and encouraging his teammates on the butt end of an eventual 38-6 score. Granted, he may have been just giving the "it's one game early in the season, keep your chins up, we'll work hard and get 'em next week" speech, which is not a bad thing by any stretch, but that might be one of those things were some look and think it's "soft" and he should be chewing ass, without a glimmer of whether or not an ass-chewing would be good or merely counterproductive in that situation.

Anyway, just my small take on things.

1302349[/snapback]

IMO, there is not much difference in Carr and Harrington. I think you have it right Chavez, when you talk about the toughness though. Carr has take 3 times as many sacks and he still gets up ready for the next play and tries to mae something happen. He hasnt given up yet and I think that a lot of people see that and therefor say he is tough.

Part of the problem too is the cities in which they play. Detroit has been waiting for the Lions to put a good product on the field for a long time now, whereas they Texans fans have only had to put up with 4 bad seasons, so far. Trust me, there are plenty of Texans fans who feel the same way about Carr as the Lion fans do about Harrington. Especially now with Young in the draft, the pressure will really be on for Carr to be successful this season.

Oh yeah, the worst franchise IMO right now is New Orleans. I honestly hope they can turn things around, but from the management to the players, I just think they are overall in the worst shape.

Are we debating the "worst team" or the "worst franchise"? 

1302132[/snapback]

Worst franchise is pretty easy; no particular order at this point, but here are the three main candidates:

- Arizona - 22 winning seasons in 85 years; 2 playoff wins in 85 years; 2 winning seasons since '77, when they fired Don Coryell who made the mistake of winning 10 games in 3 straight years (in a 14-game season, yet) and throwing off the franchise's march to irrelevance. Hard to believe this is the US's oldest continuous football franchise

- Detroit - one playoff win since '57 (that's going on 50 years for those of you keeping score at home)

- New Orleans - 6 winning seasons in 38 years; 1-5 all-time in the playoffs; for the first 20 years of their existence, the high point was 8-8. But at least they made it twice.

Most of the others, just taking a cursory glance, having had bouts of success, prominence, or at the very least, notable individual effort; heck, aside from Cleveland 2.0 and Houston, most have at least strung together decent runs of success in the past 10 years or so. The best these teams have managed since at least the merger has been mediocrity. Even no-tradition-havin' perennial whipping boys Seattle and Atlanta have made SBs and won division titles.

You forgot about Bush :D

1302367[/snapback]

Bush is the clear first overall pick, a true talent that will turn the team around. Just like other first-overall players like Tom Cousineau, Kenneth Sims, Aundray Bruce, Ki-Jana Carter, Tim Couch, and Courtney Brown. :D

- Detroit - one playoff win since '57 (that's going on 50 years for those of you keeping score at home)

1302370[/snapback]

:D

Maybe I should be thankful that I was a fan for that one victory. It is truly an amazing stat. I would trade my third nipple to have grown up in San Fran regardless of their current situation (and if I can still be hetero).

Maybe I should be thankful that I was a fan for that one victory.  It is truly an amazing stat.  I would trade my third nipple to have grown up in San Fran regardless of their current situation (and if I can still be hetero).

1302375[/snapback]

Well, you DID get to watch Billy Sims, Barry Sanders, and Chris Spielman - not to mention Chuck Schmidt, Herman Moore, and Floyd Peters' early-80s "Silver Rush" defense with Al Baker and the boys. It hasn't been a COMPLETE black hole, but pretty close. And the problem starts with your ownership - much the same as the Saints and Cards.

Maybe I should be thankful that I was a fan for that one victory.  It is truly an amazing stat.  I would trade my third nipple to have grown up in San Fran regardless of their current situation (and if I can still be hetero).

1302375[/snapback]

Times are pretty rough for Bay Area football. As much as I wanted to watch and root for SF this season it was so miserable to watch that I barely watched more than one or two complete games. Alex Smith threw 1 TD in 9 starts. I cant talk about this anymore.....Im getting too upset....and angry.....

Times are pretty rough for Bay Area football.  As much as I wanted to watch and root for SF this season it was so miserable to watch that I barely watched more than one or two complete games.  Alex Smith threw 1 TD in 9 starts. I cant talk about this anymore.....Im getting too upset....and angry.....

1302448[/snapback]

Hang in there pancake!! We are on our way back!

Seriously, once we get some protection for Alex, then he can be judged. I know he threw 1 TD in 9 starts, but he had no protection, and he is 21 years old. Give the boy time!!

And you know what I like best about Alex? YOu know who he has been on the phone with, talking football and picking this guy's brain since he was drafted? PEYTON MANNING!!! Peyton has forgotten more about the game of football than most of us have ever known. There arent many better guys who he could be talking to!!

Give it some time...every franchise has its ups and downs...and as fun as the SB's were in our glory days, think of how they will be after we are back after a long absence. That will be a rush like none other, and that sixth SB will mean the most!!

KEEP THE FAITH, MY NINER BROTHER!!!

Bush is the clear first overall pick, a true talent that will turn the team around. Just like other first-overall players like Tom Cousineau, Kenneth Sims, Aundray Bruce, Ki-Jana Carter, Tim Couch, and Courtney Brown. :D

1302374[/snapback]

Ouch, that is going to make a mark! :D

Two of those are former Nits, but hopefully, one LJ has helped turn the tide of the line of PSU RB busts.... :D

Ouch, that is going to make a mark!  :D

Two of those are former Nits, but hopefully, one LJ has helped turn the tide of the line of PSU RB busts....  :D

1302760[/snapback]

Ki-jana Carter might have done good things if he hadnt been hurt so often...

Ki-jana Carter might have done good things if he hadnt been hurt so often...

1302836[/snapback]

I think he could have been a very good back, but his bad injury in his first pre-season game probably limited his explosiveness and relegated him to a backup at best. :D I remember him during the draft making a comment about the victims of the OK City bombing the few days before the draft remarking about his prayers and thoughts were with those folks. I classy guy, just too bad his career did not pan out has he had hoped. :D

He was pretty special when he was playing at PSU along with Kerry Collins. That offense was nearly unstoppable that year. Too bad we got screwed in the polls that year when everyone wanted to give the Title to Tom Osborne. :D

Yes... it's a close tossup between the Lions and Cardinals... Living in AZ I would have to give a small edge to the Cards. At least the Lions manage to churn out a winning record occassionally to give their fans a glimmer of hope for next year (8 years with a winning record since 1980). There's something about the Cardnials mystique that, no matter what kind of talent and coaching they bring in, there's something at a higher level <cough...'Bidwells'> that prevents them from attaining success (4 seasons with a winning record since 1980). It's nothing that you can fully explain or understand... but more of a feeling... Hard to be a Cardinals fan.