[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another piece to the Vikings puzzle

dread

Who cares...He will be third string after April 29th. They also signed Tank Williams...

Edit: Your link did not work

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/326352.html

Vikings sign QB McMahon and safety Tank Williams

Free agent quarterback Mike McMahon, released by Philadelphia this week, signed a two-year contract to serve as Brad Johnson's backup. Also added was hard-hitting safety Tank Williams, 25, who had spent his four-year career with Tennessee.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: March 23, 2006 – 5:25 PM

Printer friendly E-mail this story

Associated Press

The Vikings signed two players today, adding free agent quarterback Mike McMahon and safety Tank Williams.

McMahon, released by Philadelphia this week, signed a two-year contract to serve as Brad Johnson's backup. Terms of Williams contract weren't revealed.

McMahon visited the Vikings on Wednesday and was supposed to head to Denver for a visit with the Broncos today. However, that visit was canceled as negotiations with the Vikings heated up.

McMahon is familiar with the offense of new coach Brad Childress, having started seven games last season for Philadelphia when Childress served as the Eagles' offensive coordinator. He struggled to a 55.2 quarterback rating, throwing eight interceptions and five touchdowns.

"There were a lot of positives pointing in this direction," McMahon said. "I didn't want to get on a plane and pass up this opportunity. With Coach [brad] Childress coming in and knowing how detailed he is and having a relationship with him, being in Philly last year and knowing the offense already, to me it was a big plus. Also, I had a good relationship with a couple of other coaches already on the team and just a chance to sit behind Brad Johnson and see how he does things."

The hard-hitting Williams, 25, had spent his four-year career with Tennessee. He finished third on the Titans last season with 78 tackles and is very good in run support. The Vikings were looking for a safety after losing strong safety Corey Chavous to St. Louis in free agency. Williams was a second-round pick by the Titans in 2002.

Detroit's fifth-round draft pick in 2001, McMahon is well-respected for his athleticism and arm strength, but his accuracy always has been a question; in his career, he has completed 45.4 percent of his passes. The Eagles signed him last season as their No. 3 quarterback, and he took over as their starter when Donovan McNabb underwent season-ending groin surgery.

Edited by Outshined

what is the word on shaun hill :D

1385451[/snapback]

I am not sure what there plans are with him. In 5 years, he played 2 downs and they look like taking a knee. No pass attempts. He was one of Tices Maryland boys that he drafted. He did play NFL Europe and had some success. He must not be part of the plan.

I am not sure what there plans are with him. In 5 years, he played 2 downs and they look like taking a knee. No pass attempts. He was one of Tices Maryland boys that he drafted. He did play NFL Europe and had some success. He must not be part of the plan.

1385499[/snapback]

ty

Like some traumatic events where they get blocked out of your memory... I can understand this.

1385542[/snapback]

Bah, he and Charlie Batch are the least sucky QBs that have come through Detroit in the 12 or so years since our last halfway decent one... Erik Kramer.

McMike is a playmaker, he never got a fair shake in Detroit...bwahahahah!

There were actually people here that were livid the Lions let McMahon go. When a bum like McMahon is your savior at backup quarterback, then you know what it is to be a Lions fan. I guess it could have been worse...oh wait, it was: Jeff Garcia.

Edited by gsmayes