[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

T Jones

Avernus

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maroney might be...

1432674[/snapback]

Minnesota is a system; Barber is solid but Maroney doesn't have the work ethic and is just a small thingie in general. Maybe it's me just not liking him but I got a feeling he won't be too great.

Minnesota is a system; Barber is solid but Maroney doesn't have the work ethic and is just a small thingie in general. Maybe it's me just not liking him but I got a feeling he won't be too great.

1432681[/snapback]

in their system, he has great potential..

Maroney doesn't fit Indy's system well.

Maroney isn't very good at:

Blocking - he barely whifs at opponents, just goes through the motions.

Recieving - just check how many receptions he's had in his college career (21)

Running between tackles - he's an outside runner

Breaking tackles - has chicken legs and runs upright. Skinny build over-all.

Creating space - he needs holes provided by the o-line

What he does well is:

Breaks to the outside well and outruns the defense (not easy in the NFL).

Has a very impressive 2nd gear.

Indy is obviously a passing first team.

They use more inside lanes than outside.

The RB better be able to catch.

Addai fits their offense better than Maroney, but he's more likely to be a workout warrior / combine riser like Justin Fargas. If Drew wasn't so short, he'd be the ideal RB for Indy.

Edited by Riffraff

Any Colts' fan who thinks they would be better off without Jones doesn't know what they are talking about; Jones, money wise and talent wise, is one of the most underrated players in the league. I would be fine with the Bears trading him because his value is pretty high right now. I think Cedric Benson is going to be a stud. Our line can block and we have great depth with Peterson. I would love to see for this to happen, especially if the Bears can squeeze out a great draft pick.

1432659[/snapback]

I wish I shared your optimism about Benson. I smell bust. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see. I don't want to lose T. Jones. I'd rather us trade away Benson but that probably won't happen.

I was pretty ticked when we drafted Benson because we had Jones. However, Benson is nasty. If Benson is healthy, he would do some major damage behind the Kruetz-led offensive line Chicago has built. I'd like to see the Bears get some value out of Jones since we are pretty much stuck with Benson (contract) whether we like it or not. Another underrated RB we have is in Peterson. If Benson can't stay healthy, I feel 80% safe with running Peterson.

I wish I shared your optimism about Benson.  I smell bust.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see.  I don't want to lose T. Jones.  I'd rather us trade away Benson but that probably won't happen.

1432707[/snapback]

no, he's a bust...but they are paying him a boatload...

their decision making on draft day for offensive players is horrible at best...but they almost would have to move TJ if the deal is right...

I wish I shared your optimism about Benson.  I smell bust.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see.  I don't want to lose T. Jones.  I'd rather us trade away Benson but that probably won't happen.

1432707[/snapback]

Don't know about bust, but I don't see superstar, that's for sure. He has yet to prove a work ethic and his attitude more than his ability is the main question for me.

I really don't understand how anyone can call Benson a bust.  What evidence do you have that will suggest that?  The fact that he was injured for a large part of the season?  That doesn't qualify him as a bust.

1432970[/snapback]

I think that someone should have a decent chance to play and then suck to be a bust.

Here is an interesting quote from Lovie Smith...

''When I first got out of school, I used to teach history,'' he said. ''History teaches you an awful lot. The history is with Kansas City. I got a chance to see exactly what Kansas City did having a Pro Bowl running back [Priest Holmes] and a first-round draft choice [Larry Johnson]. They both played, they both were on the team and it worked itself out.

Maroney doesn't fit Indy's system well.

Maroney isn't very good at:

Blocking - he barely whifs at opponents, just goes through the motions.

Recieving - just check how many receptions he's had in his college career (21)

Running between tackles - he's an outside runner

Breaking tackles - has chicken legs and runs upright. Skinny build over-all.

Creating space - he needs holes provided by the o-line

1432702[/snapback]

I think the low number of receptions is misleading as the dump off is not a part of the Gopher offense. I saw a few nice catches last year from him.

I do agree that he is an outside runner though; I can't recall many long runs that started inside the tackles.

and he hasn't been injury prone as of late, after he had something fixed in his respiratory system or some crap like that(I'm sure someone will correct me)...

1432497[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure he had some sort of knee sprain last year causing him to miss some time.

Addai fits their offense better than Maroney, but he's more likely to be a workout warrior / combine riser like Justin Fargas. If Drew wasn't so short, he'd be the ideal RB for Indy.

I think you may be surprised with Addai. He does have durability concerns, but he's a tough runner and very, very good at blocking and receiving out of the backfield. He gives a lot of effort and like all the draft reports say - isn't a 10 at anything but is highly rated in most categories.

I think the moment that the Colts brass heard that Jones has skipped some workouts and hired a pr!ck of an agent, they told the Bears "no thanks".

1433137[/snapback]

Edge skipped volountary camps and hired Drew Rosenhaus. . .

no, he's a bust...but they are paying him a boatload...

their decision making on draft day for offensive players is horrible at best...but they almost would have to move TJ if the deal is right...

1432948[/snapback]

Right. We have an eye for defensive talent but lack on the offensive side. I'm not a fan of Grosman either although I am excited about Griese. Moose is done being an impact WR and after watching all the drops he had last year I don't know what to expect this year from him.

People often forget that this Bears team is never going to be a aerial assault. They like to grind it behind a solid offensive line. I think Benson is better suited for that kind of offense than Jones, and I'm not taking anything away from him. Benson was awesome when he played last year. I don't know how people can question his work ethic - because he took a long time to come into camp? Please, that was a jerk move on his part but there are plenty of players who have done that. Don't call Benson a bust without justifiying it, whether it be about something last year or something from his collegiate days.

Edited by Goopster24

People often forget that this Bears team is never going to be a aerial assault. They like to grind it behind a solid offensive line. I think Benson is better suited for that kind of offense than Jones, and I'm not taking anything away from him. Benson was awesome when he played last year. I dunno how people can question his work ethic - because he took a long time to come into camp? Please, that was a dick move on his part but there are plenty of players who have done that. Don't call Benson a bust without justifiying it, whether it be about something last year or something from his collegiate days.

1433325[/snapback]

he did little to impress...

the easiest position to come right in and play at is RB...especially with that OL...

he obviously can turn it around....but he gave me no reason to think he'll be that great...

it's not like he flashed any potential....and he had all the chances to do so in a run 1st offense backed up by what was the best defense in the game allowing them to stay running the ball?

TJ didn't set the world on fire because of the insufficient passing attack...so this would have been perfect for Benson to come in and make plays...

he didn't do that on several occasions....and may have had 1 good game...I don't really recall...but he isn't high on my list of young backs, honestly...

he did little to impress...

the easiest position to come right in and play at is RB...especially with that OL...

he obviously can turn it around....but he gave me no reason to think he'll be that great...

it's not like he flashed any potential....and he had all the chances to do so in a run 1st offense backed up by what was the best defense in the game allowing them to stay running the ball?

TJ didn't set the world on fire because of the insufficient passing attack...so this would have been perfect for Benson to come in and make plays...

he didn't do that on several occasions....and may have had 1 good game...I don't really recall...but he isn't high on my list of young backs, honestly...

1433330[/snapback]

Exactly!

Goopster, I'm not sure what games you were watching to say that "Benson was awesome when he played last year". I think TJ was pretty awesome, but I surely don't remember Benson being awesome. Like Avernus said, RB is the easiest position to be good right from the start and although he was injured, when he did play, I saw nothing to say he was even close to awesome. Like I said before, I smell bust but only time will tell and I hope I'm wrong.

Benson was awesome when he played last year. I don't know how people can question his work ethic - because he took a long time to come into camp?

1433325[/snapback]

This ain't awesome.

+----------+-------------+--------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSH   YD   |  RECYD | TD |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  1  was  |    3    10  |     0  |  0 ||  2  det  |   16    49  |     0  |  0 ||  5  cle  |    5     6  |     0  |  0 ||  6  min  |    3     2  |     0  |  0 ||  7  bal  |    2     6  |     0  |  0 ||  8  det  |    3    35  |     0  |  0 ||  9  nor  |   14    79  |     0  |  0 || 10  sfo  |   12    50  |     0  |  0 || 17  min  |    9    35  |     3  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+|  TOTAL   |   67   272  |     3  |  0 |+----------+-------------+--------+----+

Exactly!

Goopster, I'm not sure what games you were watching to say that "Benson was awesome when he played last year".  I think TJ was pretty awesome, but I surely don't remember Benson being awesome.  Like Avernus said, RB is the easiest position to be good right from the start and although he was injured, when he did play, I saw nothing to say he was even close to awesome.  Like I said before, I smell bust but only time will tell and I hope I'm wrong.

1433385[/snapback]

Numbers say a lot but not everything. Benson definitely had a couple of great series where he took it upon himself to push the ball and team down the field. I think you are right in the sense that running back is the easiest position for a rookie to come into and have success but that doesn't take away from it entirely either. You can't take away from what a rookie does. I probably did exaggerate by saying he was "awesome" but he definitely had flashes where I thought to myself, "This guy can play." The guy had great speed and broke a couple of tackles along the way. Let us not forget this guy didn't know many of the schemes the Bears were using at the time. People forget how incredibly dominant he was in college.