[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Field Advantange in FF

blaw23

I have a question I wanted to pose to everyone here to see what you all thought. In my local league we tried to come up with some way to give a "Home Field Advantage" to the 1 and 2 seed in the first week of the playoffs.

This possible rule change has met some pretty strong criticism and 1 owner has said he will leave if this rule is put into place.

Basically here it is, this is a 10 team league with 2 divisions. Division winners being 1 and 2 seed.

1vs.4

2vs.3

The avg. margin of victory in that first week of the playoffs is 28 pts. We came up with giving 10 pts to the 1 seed for that game and 5 pts. to the 2 seed.

I am kind of on the fence about this rule. Is it fair to give points to a team, no, but there is really no way to give a home field advantage in FF. We may just end up scrapping that rule and giving an extra $100 to 1 seed and $50 to the 2 seed. Then that has also received criticism because of taking away from the final payout.

Just wanted to get some more feedback on it, and see if anyone else has come up with a way to give a home field advantage.

First tell me, WHY you want to give someone a Home Field advantage.

:shameless publicity: Because 'Homefield Advantage' is destined to become the greatest BOTH league in existence. :shameless publicity: :D

First tell me, WHY you want to give someone a Home Field advantage.

Because for the whole season, you have displayed you are the best or second best team in the league. You could make it into the playoffs at 13-1 or something and then there is no benefit to being that seed or the one that went 7-7 and snuck into the playoffs. Similiar to in the NFL they play all year and all want to have Home Field advantage throughout the playoffs. In this case we are attempting to give it for 1 game.

Home Field Advantage is being able to play the weaker team. NO WAY should anyone get any points. I like what Big John said about it being used in case of a tie. Also, you could consider "Home Field" by letting the #1 seed pick his opponent. BUT NO WAY DOES HE GET POINTS

Home Field Advantage is being able to play the weaker team. NO WAY should anyone get any points. I like what Big John said about it being used in case of a tie. Also, you could consider "Home Field" by letting the #1 seed pick his opponent. BUT NO WAY DOES HE GET POINTS

I also like that rule and will definitely bring it up at our next meeting. That also is not bad by letting the #1 seed pick his opponent, I never thought of that one. Thanks.

Edited by blaw23

In a couple leagues, home field advantage is used but only to break a tie, giving the win to the "home team"

This is how it is in my leagues as well. Home team effectively gets a free half point.

We use no Homefield Advantage, except that in the playoffs, the higher seed wins in the case of a tie. Two years, ago, in the Fantasy Bowl, my team ended in a 160-160 tie with the 2-time defending champ. He was the #1 seed, I was the #3 seed, I lost, and it still stings. :D

Edited by Menudo

Thank you all for your opinions on this. I will definitely be bringing it up at the next meeting about giving a tie breaker to the higher seed. Or possibly allowing the higher seed to pick his opponent.

Edited by blaw23

There is nothing constructive than can be said about HFA in FF ... and I refuse to play in any league stupid enough to incorporate something as lame as HFA.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with leagues that use it. You think you're some kind of supreme being around here and trust me dude - you ain't.

I think I'll make it a season-long mission to come after you whenever you try to get high n' mighty.

No reason - other than to humor myself that is.

Peace.

My stupid league uses HFA for the first two rounds of the playoffs but not for the championship. We give 5 points, the equivalent of 50 yds rushing or receiving, to the higher seeded teams. In 9 years we have had two playoff games impacted by the HFA. I was on the losing end of one of them. That year my crappy squad squeaked into the playoffs due to tiebreakers.

The HFA is a modest reward for finishing the regular season with a good record. It works for us.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with leagues that use it. You think you're some kind of supreme being around here and trust me dude - you ain't.

I think I'll make it a season-long mission to come after you whenever you try to get high n' mighty.

No reason - other than to humor myself that is.

Peace.

How cute ... you're going to stalk me. Have fun.

I really don't think giving points to the teams is a good idea at all either. I completely understand why it is not going over well in your league. I'd be upset if I had to play the #1 team AND they get points. Like Menudo said above, my league has the same rules where if there is a tie, the higher seeded team wins. That is enough of a HFA to me.

Home Field advantage in the NFL is a bit of a reward for doing well, but it is necessitated out of logistics... you have to play the games somewhere, and neutral sites wouldn't go over well with the fans. There is no logistical reason for a home field advantage in Fantasy Football. The best team already has an advantage simply by virtue of being good. There is no need to reward them any further for that.

If you want to break a tie by giving the advantage to the team with the best record, that's fine... but giving more points to the better team just because they're better, makes no sense to me.

My leagues have payouts for winning the division (one has 1st & 2nd payout).

It does take from the pot, but the winner isn't shut out of $$ for getting beat in first round.

Works fine, no complaints.

Intrigued by the idea of "pick your opponent". Boy, talk about remorse knowing you picked the guy that beat you!

Seriously, HFA has no place in fantasy football. I can see a tie going to the lower seed, but giving points only has a place in betting.

In a league I run we have a first round bye for the 1st and 2nd place teams. They then play the winners of the 3/6 and 4/5 games respectively the following week . Giving points to another team does not sound right. :D

I proposed the following home field advantage rule to my leagues this year (and was shot down)

#1 seed gets an additional 25% of his average players score added

#2 seed gets an additional 12.5% of his average players score added.

For example, if you started 8 players and your team averaged 80 points a game then the #1 seed would add 2.5 points to his total. If you were the #2 seed you'd add 1.25 points to your total.

At first I had proposed 50% and 25% for 1 and 2 but thought those %'s might be too high.

Upsets in the playoffs are part of FF...I think trying to regulate it with artificial points is lame. Like the NFL, you'd better play your best games in the playoffs or you're done. I'd follow the NFL - give the top two seeds a bye in the first round if you want to reward them. You'd have to expand your playoffs to six teams, of course.