[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

David Boston?

Brownsfan420

From what I hear Gruden really likes David Boston. Ideally Gruden wants Boston to work his way into the #3 WR role. With his solid peformance last night he is closer to making this happen. Only time will tell. Inconsistency & injury has always plagued Boston. It is clear, however, that Gruden is not only giving Boston every chance to make this team but be a big contributer throughout this season.

Edited by Daunted

This guy was a fantasy beast only 3 years ago, and he's still young.

if by 3, you mean 5...then yeah...

I drafted him in 2002....traded him for Deuce and Gardner, 1 week later he has his Lis Franc injury....this was before the season started I believe....if not during week 1...

ever since he's been a turd...

yeah I wish I could find that article from a few years back talking about the supplements he takes. He was taking 100-200 pills a day, and had a trainer taking his blood sugar levels on the field...and this is how he got so huge back in the day. Supposedly he was just ahead of his time and this is what the future is for nfl players...being able to move their weight up and down quickly, he was 245 running a 4.4 or something like that. It told the entire story about how he had a serious car wreck and they said he'd never walk again, so his goal was to prove everyone wrong.

...Well now that I got sidetracked, he is garbage fantasy wise until I see reason to believe otherwise IMO.

yeah I wish I could find that article from a few years back talking about the supplements he takes. He was taking 100-200 pills a day, and had a trainer taking his blood sugar levels on the field...and this is how he got so huge back in the day. Supposedly he was just ahead of his time and this is what the future is for nfl players...being able to move their weight up and down quickly, he was 245 running a 4.4 or something like that. It told the entire story about how he had a serious car wreck and they said he'd never walk again, so his goal was to prove everyone wrong.

...Well now that I got sidetracked, he is garbage fantasy wise until I see reason to believe otherwise IMO.

he also used to send his stool to scientists to see that he was getting the proper protiens in his diet...

if by 3, you mean 5...then yeah...

I drafted him in 2002....traded him for Deuce and Gardner, 1 week later he has his Lis Franc injury....this was before the season started I believe....if not during week 1...

ever since he's been a turd...

My bad, time flies I guess. It didn't seem that long ago. :D

Boston Must Wait For Decision

By ROY CUMMINGS The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 2, 2006

TAMPA - It had been a while - two years, eight months and six days to be exact. Before Thursday, that's how long it had been since David Boston was the featured receiver in an NFL game.

A lot has happened to Boston since. He has been suspended, traded and injured twice. He even had a brush with the law.

That's all behind him now, he says. It seemed like it Thursday.

Playing the role of a featured receiver for the first time since the end of the 2003 season, Boston caught six passes for 77 yards in the Bucs' 16-13 loss to the Houston Texans in the preseason finale.

Granted, it was only an exhibition game. Worse, it was one in which most of both team's starters sat out or played sparingly.

None of that mattered to Boston. Everything felt real to him.

"I've come a long way from three or four weeks ago," said Boston, who is still recovering from the second of two knee injuries. "I was really, really well prepared for this game."

What you wonder now is if Boston is prepared for what might come next. It could be another bump in the road.

After featuring Boston in his offense Thursday, Bucs coach Jon Gruden wouldn't say for sure that he'd made his team.

"He's in my heart and my prayers every night," Gruden said of Boston, who has played only five games the past two seasons. "He's a guy that's got a history of being great, and any idiot likes guys who can play great in this league."

Boston took his boss' non-committal approach in stride - without even batting an eye.

You expected as much from a man who has been through as much as Boston.

At the same time, though, you could sense that a spot on the Bucs' season-opening roster is something Boston wants badly.

He wants back in this league, and now he can only hope Thursday's performance gained him re-entry.

"I'm holding my breath," Boston said. "I just wanted to do the best I could while the coaches were evaluating. I hadn't really done anything the previous preseason games so it was important for me to do good [Thursday]."

It may have been imperative. Joey Galloway and Michael Clayton are the projected starters, and Gruden has announced rookie Maurice Stovall will be on the team.

That leaves Boston, Edell Shepherd, Paris Warren, Mark Jones and Chas Gessner fighting for what could be two or three roster spots. After Thursday, Boston has to like his chances.

He caught one pass for 33 yards, one for 16 and another for 12 against the Texans, and he did it all while running routes across the middle of the field - an area in which Boston is unaccustomed to traveling.

He was mostly an outside route runner during his stints with Arizona, San Diego and Miami, but Thursday's performance proved he can still be productive, even if he can't completely regain the top-end speed he lost through his knee injuries.

That's not the only thing Boston has proved since training camp started in late July.

He has proved to Gruden that playing football, capitalizing on his special skills, is a top priority in his life again.

That will factor heavily into the decision Gruden must make today when he and his staff have to cut the roster to the opening-day minimum of 53 players.

"He proved to me that he's serious about making a comeback," Gruden said. "The conversations we had before we got started, I let him know that I wanted to see if he was going to be serious about making a comeback.

"And when I talk about comeback, I talk about getting it all back. I'm talking about getting back to the David Boston that was a feared, reckless and great football player.

"And I don't know if it's all back yet with him. But some of it is back and the light is flickering there. I'm really proud of him."

Boston is proud of what he's done, too.

More than anything, though, he's waiting to exhale.

David Boston will forever hold a place in my heart...He helped me win my only championship in my toughest, biggest money league...

That being said, he is a player of little importance unless Clayton or Galloway fall down. Clayton is ready for a rebound this year and Galloway is still a big play receiver.