[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bell vs Bell

Tally

I started Mike last week. Even though he had fewer yards, it worked out because he had the only rushing TD. At the time I thought he would be the starter, we now know that is not the case. Tatum is starting. What are everyone's thoughts this week considering Tatum starts and the finger injury for Mike? I know it only cost him 1 carry last week but for some reason my gut tells me to go w/ Tatum this time, maybe because I think the percentages are in his favor for a TD this week. Also, I know Bronco Billy and some DEN homers keep saying Mike will get the goaline carries, but didn’t Tatum get his goal line touches when it was his "turn" last week?

My .02 is Mike is the man. Anyone who continues to play after he breaks and dislocates his finger causing the bone to push through the skin and remove his fingernail gets the edge in my book. If he could continue to play significantly after that, I don't think the finger is of that much of an impact.

Also, I know Bronco Billy and some DEN homers keep saying Mike will get the goaline carries, but didn’t Tatum get his goal line touches when it was his "turn" last week?

I'm not sure by this comment if you're asking for my opinion or not, but I'll offer it anyhow, supported by evidence from last week.

When Tatum Bell was in the game and DEN was in a 3rd & 1 situation, Shanahan tried to throw the football (despite T Bell averaging what, 6.4 ypc?) which resulted in a 10 yd sack & a punt. When M Bell was in the game, DEN in a 4th & 1 situation and on the goal line ran the ball both times with M Bell, and was successful both times.

Shanahan knows one of T Bell's weaknesses is his lack of power running between the tackles, especially in short yardage situations. It's one of the main reasons T Bell is caught in a RBBC. M Bell has also shown very good hands in chipping and then running flare patterns, which is very helpful in short yardage situations.

That being the case, I'd speculate that M Bell will still get the short yardage work, which enhances his value.

That being the case, I'd speculate that M Bell will still get the short yardage work, which enhances his value.

You think he will only get short yardage work or both regular carries and the short yardage work? You insight and help is very useful, thanks.

I'm not sure by this comment if you're asking for my opinion or not, but I'll offer it anyhow, supported by evidence from last week.

When Tatum Bell was in the game and DEN was in a 3rd & 1 situation, Shanahan tried to throw the football (despite T Bell averaging what, 6.4 ypc?) which resulted in a 10 yd sack & a punt. When M Bell was in the game, DEN in a 4th & 1 situation and on the goal line ran the ball both times with M Bell, and was successful both times.

Shanahan knows one of T Bell's weaknesses is his lack of power running between the tackles, especially in short yardage situations. It's one of the main reasons T Bell is caught in a RBBC. M Bell has also shown very good hands in chipping and then running flare patterns, which is very helpful in short yardage situations.

Yes, I was hoping for your thoughts. I wanted to see if your thinking had changed at all based on the points I made about who the "starter" is. Which is certainly different than what everyone thought last week at this time. I also could have sworn that I saw Tatum in there in a goal line situation last week. I must have been mistaken. Anyway, I'm sure your getting sick of this topic but your thoughts are very much appreciated. This situation affects many fantasy owners and I think the conversations on this topic needs to continue until something gives.

You think he will only get short yardage work or both regular carries and the short yardage work? You insight and help is very useful, thanks.

Shanahan has already stated that he'll rotate the Bells on alternating series, just like last week. Tatum will start, which gives him an opportunity for more carries by a better probability of having a greater number of series, but the offense seems to function better with Mike, plus he has the receiving skills - so when Mike is on the field there is a higher probability of longer drives with more plays, which offsets Tatum starting, IMO.

Here's the link on Shanahan's game plan for the Bells:

LINK

Shanahan still is looking for what he has called the hot hand and has the patience to wait for it as the Broncos prepare for their home opener Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs (2:15 p.m., CBS 4).

"We'll keep the same scenario that we had before," Shanahan said.

"We'll start Tatum and rotate series. Somebody gets the hot hand, we'll go in that direction."....

However, Tatum Bell, who rushed for 103 yards and averaged 6.9 yards a carry, also broke one of Shanahan's ground-game tenets when he fumbled during the first quarter.

"Except for the fumble, I thought he played pretty well," Shanahan said. "I'll take 6.9 per average for a year, but I won't take the fumble. You can't turn the football over and play, everybody knows that. . . . Hopefully, he'll learn from his mistake."

Tatum Bell said he initially was nervous the mistake would cost him his spot in the rotation, at least Sunday. But he was back on the field when his appointed time came in the second quarter.

Yep, I would hate to have em both, trying to decide who gets the bulk of the load each week.

last week was somethng like

Tatum- 16 touches

Mike- 14 -

Yeah, it really sucks when you draft Mike Bell with an ADP of 64, which puts him as a 6th round pick, the 27th RB off the board, and you get the 11th best RB production out of him last week, or when you draft Tatum with an ADP of 76, putting him in the 7th round, the 32nd RB off the board and you get the 23rd best RB production out of him last week, and then they both go up against a weak run D at home this week.

That's a bad position to be in, no doubt...

Edited by Bronco Billy

I own Tatum Bell in one league and Mike Bell in WCoFF(got him with the 5.10 pick). I want to start both of them this week against the Chiefs and I'm playing them over some other solid options.

I've considered doing that this week too. I might sit edgerring and run both the Bells against KC.

I've considered doing that this week too. I might sit edgerring and run both the Bells against KC.

Really, Wow! You got some serious balls Dog! I could bench R. Bush and start both Bells (dont think I will) but to bench Edge to start both, that's takin it to a whole different level.

Really, Wow! You got some serious balls Dog! I could bench R. Bush and start both Bells (dont think I will) but to bench Edge to start both, that's takin it to a whole different level.

LOL! I'm hoping Denver really lights up KC! I dont want to bench edge, but starting both of the Bells seems to make the whole situation more tolerable.

LOL! I'm hoping Denver really lights up KC! I dont want to bench edge, but starting both of the Bells seems to make the whole situation more tolerable.

They probably will light KC up. I started Anderson and T. Bell on Edge's bye week last season and was smiling ear to ear.

I still think it is odd that Mike Bell is returning kicks. He doesn't strike me has possessing blazing speed. His hands seem better than Tatums, but other than that, I don't see the logic. Folks in leagues that award individual points in the return game have got to be happy with Mike Bell, though, as that facet of his playing time certain adds extra value.

Edited by yo mama

Yeah, it really sucks when you draft Mike Bell with an ADP of 64, which puts him as a 6th round pick, the 27th RB off the board, and you get the 11th best RB production out of him last week, or when you draft Tatum with an ADP of 76, putting him in the 7th round, the 32nd RB off the board and you get the 23rd best RB production out of him last week, and then they both go up against a weak run D at home this week.

That's a bad position to be in, no doubt...

Good for you BB- well done, I hope you drafted both guys in good spots. I personally like my RB's to get more than 10-15 touches a game, but hey that is just me. Not saying one of the Bell's won't make a solid RB2 from week to week- who the he11 knows. I just don't want any part of it is all.

I didn't see the game, but I saw that T. Bell had a fumble. If he does that again this week, would we see less of this "equality" that Shanny is showing them?

Last time I checked, DEN's head coach didn't take kindly to losing fumbles. He has also spoken about going with the "hot hand" so I'm sure putting the ball on the turf would factor into that equation. But I'm just speculating.

Cue game 1 last season when Mike Anderson went down. How many times did he try and fail in that game?

Here from last year, and I think this sealed his fate as a non starter.

1-3-MIA3 (7:31) T.Bell right tackle to MIA 3 for no gain (Z.Thomas).

2-3-MIA3 (6:50) T.Bell right guard to MIA 3 for no gain (Z.Thomas).

3-3-MIA3 (6:08) J.Plummer pass incomplete to A.Lelie.

PENALTY on MIA-J.Taylor, Defensive Offside, 2 yards, enforced at MIA 3 - No Play.

3-1-MIA1 (6:06) J.Plummer pass incomplete to S.Alexander.

4-1-MIA1 (6:06) T.Bell right tackle to MIA 2 for -1 yards (Z.Thomas; J.Taylor).

Miami

Overall, I'm really pleased to have Mike Bell as my #3 behind Alexander and CTaylor. Don't have to worry about starting him until the picture is clear and/or I have issues in front of him.

Same here behind LJ and Frank Gore. I was laughed at for drafting Gore in the 5th and Bell in the 6th.

Edited by Randall

Overall, I'm really pleased to have Mike Bell as my #3 behind Alexander and CTaylor. Don't have to worry about starting him until the picture is clear and/or I have issues in front of him.

I agree...LJ is my #1 and FWP is #2. Mike Bell is a great #3.

i couldn't be happier with both Bells.

in a pinch, and in the current sharing situation, i could start both and probably count on about 150-180 total yds and 1-2 tds.

i think it speaks volumes of what Shanahan thinks of M.Bell...

1) he busted his finger after only his 1st carry (after trying to go 1-on-1 with Little. btw some OTs in this league struggle 1-on-1 with Little) yet Shanny went to him on a 4th and 1 and a goalline TD

2) he's more involved in the passing game

3) AND he returns kicks

i think if it weren't for the fact he is a rookie, Shanahan would probably start him outright a la Anderson last year. i think if M.Bell keeps it up and doesn't aggravate his finger, he'll be starting outright in the next month or so.

I wonder if he is still going to return kicks with his finger being injured. I kind of hope he doesn't. I can't see him breaking one all the way and there is always the chance of getting hurt on those returns.

I'd say based upon his performance & the way he was used vs STL, and then finding out that he had a broken finger to boot - which he's going to just tape & play - that Shanahan trusts him to run the ball. If that's the case, I'd expect Kirkus to take over KR duties.