[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great story about the love for our Vets....

rocknrobn26

A run-of-the-mill raffle for Bears playoff tickets at the Bluestone Bar and Grill in New Lenox took a bizarre and patriotic turn this week -- none of the winners would accept the seats.

Folks kept returning the tickets to the charity that offered them up -- the Disabled Patriot Fund -- until more than $5,500 was collected Wednesday night.

Ultimately, the two tickets were given to an Iraq war veteran -- U.S. Marine Corps sniper Mike Mendoza of Tinley Park, who was injured by a grenade in August.

This is how he got the tickets: Brian Dempsey of Palos Heights won the initial raffle on a $5 chance.

He told bar owner Allan Byrne to auction off the seats and give the proceeds to the Disabled Patriot Fund, which raises cash for veterans injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I thought this was a good opportunity to raise more money for the fund," Dempsey said. "I'll watch the game at home."

Bears fan Rose White of New Lenox was the highest bidder. She wrote a check for $1,500, but wouldn't take the tickets either.

Then, Byrne sweetened the prize by throwing in a limousine ride to the game and put the tickets on the block again.

After a healthy round of bidding, White made another winning offer, wrote a second $1,500 check and still wouldn't accept the tickets.

"I told them to give the tickets to a couple of veterans . . . I thought it was the right thing to do," she said.

On Thursday, the fund turned the tickets over to Mendoza, a lifelong Bears fan returning from rehabilitation in North Carolina this weekend.

"Wow. This kind of generosity is amazing," Mendoza said. "It just shows what real Americans will do for guys like me."

mkonkol@suntimes.com

:D

Pretty cool gestures towards vets.

Pretty bad that no one wants to see the Bears play though.

Very nice tax write offs too. Basically paid by the government not to watch the Bears play. Winners all around.

:D I really can't believe you said that!