[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you think they'll talk about the black coaches in the SB thing over the next 2 wks?

BeeR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the difference my forum name is not Dude and to be honest it's not really a name I'm used to being called by friends, but to be honest I didn't take offense when you called me that since I assumed it's just part of your vocabulary. My dad occassionally refers to black people as "colored" and he is not a racist. It's just part of his vociabulary. So the guy calling you "boy" probably didn't mean anything more than you calling me Dude.

Rock, as it turned out you were 100% right, this time. However, in our conversations he admitted to me that back home in Georgia he would not be able to speak to me in his home town without ramifications. He also said that I was the first black man he had ever talked to at any length in his life. He came away with an entirely new perspective about black people and I came away with what I knew already. He admitted that although he didn't mean anything derogatory by his statement his friends back home use that and much worse but mean it. He just so happened to be curious and in a position of isolation since we were both in the woods together in my backyard. Had I taken offense to the "boy" comment and became violent or verbally confrontational we would have left thinking the same things about eachother. As it turns out I said "Did you here what you just said to me? With a smile on my face. He was shook a bit, but he realized what he said and how it sounded then we talked the whole trip.

Nothing wrong with colored, but I routinely ask what color as a joke when I here old timers say that. Thay laugh and continue on.

God forbid they just talk about how they're good coaches and leave it at that.

Kind of like when Tommy, played by Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, checked his girlfriend after she stated she could see why a woman would be attracted to Sammy Davis Jr.

Tommy: "just say he's talented and just leave it at that"

Only in the eyes of racists.

That's naive. And it doesn't make someone a racist to know and understand that there are inherent cultural and physical differences between people of different ethnic backgrounds. There just are.

An earlier poster suggested that it was his dream to have his kids live in a world where people are judged by their actions, not skin color. Admirable, but it ain't happening.

The trick is to treat people as you would want to be treated (The Golden Rule) - regardless of color. Have I been perfect at it? Nope. But I've also been treated less than perfectly by people of all ethnic groups.

Last year, it was all about having two coaches with moustaches, this year, it is about two African Americans......it never ends.

:D Didn't Pittsburgh just hire an African American coach WITH a moustache???? :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

That's naive. And it doesn't make someone a racist to know and understand that there are inherent cultural and physical differences between people of different ethnic backgrounds. There just are.

An earlier poster suggested that it was his dream to have his kids live in a world where people are judged by their actions, not skin color. Admirable, but it ain't happening.

The trick is to treat people as you would want to be treated (The Golden Rule) - regardless of color. Have I been perfect at it? Nope. But I've also been treated less than perfectly by people of all ethnic groups.

Actually the trick is to go out of your way to get to know someone of another race then it makes it much harder to discriminate. You will also find out your own truth and not what is fed to us in school, by the media or friends and family. Moreover, treating someone like you like to be treated doesn't always allow you to understand how the other person wants to be treated. That statement only works within common groups with similar lifestyles, backgrounds and customs. You could treat a person like you think they would want because of the values and customs you were brought up with, but end up offending them because you didn't take the time to find out how they personally like to be addressed.

I always follow the rule of, respect everyone until they prove they don't deserve it.

People may never remember what you say or do to them, but they will never forget how you made them feel!

Actually the trick is to go out of your way to get to know someone of another race then it makes it much harder to discriminate. You will also find out your own truth and not what is fed to us in school, by the media or friends and family. Moreover, treating someone like you like to be treated doesn't always allow you to understand how the other person wants to be treated. That statement only works within common groups with similar lifestyles, backgrounds and customs. You could treat a person like you think they would want because of the values and customs you were brought up with, but end up offending them because you didn't take the time to find out how they personally like to be addressed.

I always follow the rule of, respect everyone until they prove they don't deserve it.

People may never remember what you say or do to them, but they will never forget how you made them feel!

Well written, but sorry man - again, naive, except for the respect part.

I am not going to take the time to get to know everyone and how they would like to be addressed nor, I daresay, will anyone else. But I will take the time to treat them how I would like to be treated until the person shows me they don't deserve it. And if that's not good enough, that's too bad for them, beacuse how I would like to be treated includes the respect you mentioned which is the part I completely agree with.

I Hate White People. I'm White.

I hate that people who hate that people hate people hate that people hate people. I'm white.

I hate little baby ducks, old pickup trucks, bourbon in a glass, and grass ... and I hate you (all) too ... I'm a slightly-embarassing-pinky-beigish color.

:D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

• 2 weeks later...

I hate little baby ducks, old pickup trucks, bourbon in a glass,

commie.

I'm PO'd though. What the flip? The clock ticked to zero, Colts are champs, and it took the announcer at least a full minute to mention the whole black coach thing. And how is that NOT the first thing out of Dungy's mouth?? He has the nerve to thank his players first before blathering on about GB african whatevers blah blah de blah?? He's slipping. Always figured him for a half whitey anyway though.

I wish ESPN woulda talked about it more. wt-f with all this talking about the game n stuff.

commie.

I'm PO'd though. What the flip? The clock ticked to zero, Colts are champs, and it took the announcer at least a full minute to mention the whole black coach thing. And how is that NOT the first thing out of Dungy's mouth?? He has the nerve to thank his players first before blathering on about GB african whatevers blah blah de blah?? He's slipping. Always figured him for a half whitey anyway though.

I wish ESPN woulda talked about it more. wt-f with all this talking about the game n stuff.

So, now your pissed that the media didn't make a bigger deal out of a story that you were blaming the media for making a big deal out of? Is Rockerbraves your idol or an aspiration?

commie.

Why be sarcastic when you can be facetious? :D

I hate that people hate people. I'm Black.

wait....YOURE WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Again, Lovie Smith said the fact that you are asking me about it(the press)means it's still an issue. 10 years ago some felt black QB's lacked proper intelligence to man the position and it's not a big deal anymore.

This will change too.