[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dungy retiring?

Bronco Billy

Adam Schefter on an 850 AM KOA in Denver interview this morning stated that he talked to Tony Dungy after the game last night and asked Dungy if he'll be back to coach IND next year, and stated that Dungy balked at the question.

Schefter stated that Dungy may enter the Christian ministry instead.

No link - heard on the radio.

Adam Schefter on an 850 AM KOA in Denver interview this morning stated that he talked to Tony Dungy after the game last night and asked Dungy if he'll be back to coach IND next year, and stated that Dungy balked at the question.

Schefter stated that Dungy may enter the Christian ministry instead.

No link - heard on the radio.

On the NFL Network at 1:30 am this morning they were replaying a post-game interview with Dungy and he [Dungy] was asked if he would retire.

Dungy's response was that he had several other things on his mind including the post game party and parade. Those were first on his mind right now. But at some point he would sit down with the owner and discuss his future. He in no way said he was considering retirement, but he also did not deny it.

Things like this remind me of out annoying Sports Media can be. Not unlike when a coach has been offered another job, the media puts them in a no-win situation. Until they say absolutely yes or no they keep hounding them and worse, start making up stories.

I remember when Kansas was at the Final Four and UNC fired Dougherty. Roy Williams name came up and it was on. All he wanted to do was focus on the games at hand but they kept bugging him about UNC. Obviously he wanted the gig but was it too much to allow him to just focus on winning the NC for the team that was currently paying him?

I recall Jim Rome justifying the media constantly brining it up by saying, "All he needs to do is tell us that he's taking the job or doesn't want the job and it will all end." How convenient. So basically, you either take yourself out of the running for your dream job or tell a bunch of kids that you're about to ask to play like mad for the title that you're leaving. That's not too much to ask to get a bunch of a-holes off your back.

Of course, if he says, "Honestly, I'd by lying if I said the job was not appealing but I've got a game to win right now and that's all I care about." Then the press reads that as "He's leaving he just doesn't have the guts to step up and say so, how can he expect the kids to play for him if they know he's gone. What sort of message does that send when the coach who recruited you is contemplating other jobs on the eve of what may be the biggest game of the kid's lives?"

Then when a guy like Saben basically tells them something to shut them up and goes back on that word, he's Satan incarnate.

I'm sure the Colt's front office, who BTW, are the most intimately involved with Dungy's choice are more than happy to let him chill for a while and weigh his options. I can't see why the press can't do the same.

Edited by detlef

Dungy is NOT retiring! We heard some of the same reports around here locally, but in the entire interview, he said his plans are to come back.

Long term.... Dungy does want to go into the Prison ministry, but that won't happen for a few more years....

I think Adam Schefter was just trying to prime the pump and rumor mill to get people to watch later.

Things like this remind me of out annoying Sports Media can be. Not unlike when a coach has been offered another job, the media puts them in a no-win situation. Until they say absolutely yes or no they keep hounding them and worse, start making up stories.

I remember when Kansas was at the Final Four and UNC fired Dougherty. Roy Williams name came up and it was on. All he wanted to do was focus on the games at hand but they kept bugging him about UNC. Obviously he wanted the gig but was it too much to allow him to just focus on winning the NC for the team that was currently paying him?

I recall Jim Rome justifying the media constantly brining it up by saying, "All he needs to do is tell us that he's taking the job or doesn't want the job and it will all end." How convenient. So basically, you either take yourself out of the running for your dream job or tell a bunch of kids that you're about to ask to play like mad for the title that you're leaving. That's not too much to ask to get a bunch of a-holes off your back.

Of course, if he says, "Honestly, I'd by lying if I said the job was not appealing but I've got a game to win right now and that's all I care about." Then the press reads that as "He's leaving he just doesn't have the guts to step up and say so, how can he expect the kids to play for him if they know he's gone. What sort of message does that send when the coach who recruited you is contemplating other jobs on the eve of what may be the biggest game of the kid's lives?"

Then when a guy like Saben basically tells them something to shut them up and goes back on that word, he's Satan incarnate.

I'm sure the Colt's front office, who BTW, are the most intimately involved with Dungy's choice are more than happy to let him chill for a while and weigh his options. I can't see why the press can't do the same.

To put this in a nutshell, the press are scum.

This is not news.

Schlecter was just trying to get a jump on something in the future. He's kind of full of himself by saying that the Raiders were going to cut Art Shell which was sort of like shooting fish in a barrel anyway.