[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Dallas signing Leonard Davis...

irish

I know that Davis hasn't lived up to his draft position (1-2) from several years ago, however, I think he can make a solid contribution for the Cowboys this year and years to come. He is a gigantic man and needs better footwork but with several other solid pieces of the line already in place he just needs to play a part rather than be the savior. Although he's making some pretty hefty $$, so I hope he can play up to his potential unlike he did in Arizona. If he does the line will make hugh progress and could be a force to be reckoned with.

Thoughts?

Id like to see him play left Guard next to Flozell. And resign Columbo at RT. Then draft Blaylock in round 1, and yr after next start him at RG in place of Rivera. Flozell, Davis, Gurode, Blaylock and Columbo would be a huge upgrade to what they threw out there last yr. The ex Lion LG then moves to the bench for depth.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I just don't know about this deal. Davis is going into his 7th year. 366 pounds is a lot to keep upright. Adams is in his 9th and the tread is wearing thin. So why a 7 year deal with $18 mill of guaranteed money for a guy that is good but not great. Pace lasted 9 before braking down. Adams 9 before braking down. So is Davis as good as Pace? Not from what I have seen. I find nothing about his work ethic or conditioning discipline, which makes me wish he had a year under Parcells. Colombo looks solid to me and to let him go would be a mistake. But signing Davis to a huge deal like this sounds risky.

Paying him all that money insures him to be a starter but where?

Right Tackle? Never played there in his career.

Guard? next to Adams or Colombo nice upgrade over Rivera or Kosier but a very expensive one and smacks of the law of diminishing returns.

How much an upgrade is he over either of our two Guards or Tackles? Not 7 years and $49 worth. I don't mind the investment in a good lineman and this deal certainly adds depth so long as the rest of the line is sticks around, but I just would like to see some younger guys get developed. O-line is a lot about chemistry, and you can't build that moving guys in and out. See AZ...................

Now that I think about it, this move could be a cost saving move by removing the leverage Colombo had over them, thus getting both linemen for what it would have cost them to pay Colombo first then find a guy like Davis. Just a thought.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Davis may be filling potential future holes.

Davis might be the former second pick in the 2001 draft who never lived up to advance billing, or the starting left tackle the Arizona Cardinals chose not to re-sign or franchise this off-season, but the six-year veteran represents a huge Cowboys need who can fill a variety of spots.

Davis could play right tackle. Remember, the Cowboys failed to get last year's 16-game starter Marc Colombo re-signed before the start of free agency. The deal for Colombo still is on the table.

Davis could play right guard. Soon-to-be 35-year-old Marco Rivera, who has started the past two years at right guard, has undergone two surgeries to repair ruptured disks in the past two years, and his status heading toward the 2007 season appears to be in doubt. The Cowboys might need a starting right guard.

Also, Davis could play left tackle in a year. Adams, a three-time Pro Bowler, is entering the final year of that five-year deal he signed when Bill Parcells first arrived. He's also turning 32. Who knows if the Cowboys can re-sign him next year or will want to re-sign him to a hefty deal, knowing he'll be turning 33 before the start of the 2008 season.

link

This appears to be the going rate, as Steinbach and Dockery are being paid what amounts to the same money. My only concern is I don't think that Davis is nearly as good as Steinbach or Dockery. I thin the Boys may be in panic mode a little bit here, after not even getting a visit from Steinbach.

Gurode is safe but somebody on that line knows for a fact, they're lossing their job. Now the only question is who? Assuming Colombo stays I like Davis as one of the Guards. Colombo beat out Pettiti who played well for NO under Payton and Parcells can build a line so Colombo must have some game in him. I sure hope to keep the guy.

Gurode is safe but somebody on that line knows for a fact, they're lossing their job. Now the only question is who? Assuming Colombo stays I like Davis as one of the Guards. Colombo beat out Pettiti who played well for NO under Payton and Parcells can build a line so Colombo must have some game in him. I sure hope to keep the guy.

Jones mentioned flexibility several times because he said the Cowboys have not yet decided what position Davis will play next season. Some of the decision will hinge on whether the Cowboys can re-sign Colombo, who started all 16 games at right tackle last year. The team has been in talks with Colombo, an unrestricted free agent, about a new contract.

"We're in the free agency period and we're in negotiations relative to Marc," Jones said. "We're still working there. We're working with Marc's representatives. Certainly, (signing Davis) gives us more options, but doesn't preclude at all us signing Marc."

If the Cowboys can re-sign Colombo, Davis would likely play at guard, probably on the right side. Marco Rivera has undergone another back surgery this off-season, his second in the last two years, and even Jones said the chances of his return next year is "up in the air."

I'm with you Cowboyz, I hope Columbo comes back and it looks like Rivera may be gone...