[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like Wes Welker

Caveman_Nick

March 05, 2007

Welker update

Receiver Wes Welker is visiting with the Patriots today at Gillette Stadium. In addition, a source close to the situation indicated that there have been attempts to spark conversations between the Patriots and Dolphins, opening the possibility that Welker could be traded.

Because Welker is a restricted free agent, and the Patriots are visiting with him today, it was assumed in some circles that the team would sign him to an offer sheet.

At this point, it seems the Patriots are exploring all their options.

While the Patriots could still sign Welker to an offer sheet, don't rule out the possibility of a trade.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 02:57:16 PM | Link | E-mail to a friend

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking you can pencil in Welker as Troy Browns eventual replacement, if not his replacement for next year. They have mostly the same skills and strengths. I've always been a big fan of Troy and will be sorry to see him go, but I realize he ain't getting any younger.

Not bad, considering that the Pats have two first-rounders and are desperate for WRs.

Not bad if the contract is in fact back loaded with that poison pill crap but I think I disagree with this statement form espn...

Surrendering a second-round choice for a player of Welker's abilities would be viewed in most quarters, but especially in New England, as a steal.

C'mon.... :D

I think Welker is a nice little player that will be a dependable possession guy, but if this is a poison pill/back loaded deal the question has to be asked; did the Pats make a run at DJ Hackett? I believe he has the same tender offer with the same 2nd round draft pick compensation.

ETA: I also hope there isn't any Pats fans who are claiming that Welker for a late 2nd round pick makes sense while claiming that getting a late first round pick for Branch was also smart.

Edited by bushwacked

Him and Jackson will be a feared tandem for years to come. He is proven in game situations, versatile and clutch. He is smart and will grasp the Pats system quickly. Remember the Patriots have A TON of cap room they can afford to over pay and they are not in rebuild mode and wantt another Superbowl now.

Why is this assumed? Is it because he's white?

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS WES WELKER WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE!!!! :D

Not bad if the contract is in fact back loaded with that poison pill crap but I think I disagree with this statement form espn...

C'mon.... :D

I think Welker is a nice little player that will be a dependable possession guy, but if this is a poison pill/back loaded deal the question has to be asked; did the Pats make a run at DJ Hackett? I believe he has the same tender offer with the same 2nd round draft pick compensation.

I'd like to know just what type of "poison pill" Belichick would be allowed to put into his offer for Welker. What's he going to stipulate? That Welker must be one of the highest-paid WRs in the league? That Welker's contract is fully-guaranteed if he wears a uniform with a Dolphin logo on the helmet for 2007?

And if the contract is back-loaded with a mediocre signing bonus, how would Miami have difficulty matching it?

I thnk most of you guys are missing the boat on this kid. He is a very good wr, he is going to get better and i'll even go so far as to say he'll improve greatly in the system he is going to.

I'm going to take him as my #2 wr on as many of my teams as i can next year and it will probably be in the late rounds after i've got my #1 wr, a good qb and a slew of rb's. :D

I thnk most of you guys are missing the boat on this kid. He is a very good wr, he is going to get better and i'll even go so far as to say he'll improve greatly in the system he is going to.

I'm going to take him as my #2 wr on as many of my teams as i can next year and it will probably be in the late rounds after i've got my #1 wr, a good qb and a slew of rb's. :D

I'm curious to know the guaranteed money that this guy is getting. Sure, he may put up decent numbers for a late #2 WR draft pick on a FF team and I'm sure he will contribute in the NE system. But, the fact of the matter is that reports state that Moss and Djax might have been had for 1st day draft pick. NE appears desperate to get a decent WR with a 2nd round pick after getting rid of Branch.

If any other team, besides the Pats, gave up a 2nd round pick for Wes freaking Welker, I think many questions arise.

5Yrs for $18.1M is the contract for Welker, much more reasonable than the original numbers.

According to Schefter's article today, Stallworth is coming in for a visit.

IMHO after taking Jackson with their 2nd round pick last year, and seeing the past history of 1st day WRs that never pan out, they'd rather use that 2nd round pick on someone they've seen playing in the league like Welker.

From NFL.COM - Schefter.....

After trading 2007 second- and seventh-round draft choices to Miami for wide receiver Wes Welker and signing him to a five-year, $18.1 million contract that included $9 million in guaranteed money, the Patriots were scheduled to host a visit with Philadelphia free-agent wide receiver Donte' Stallworth.

Around the league, there are questions about Stallworth's character. But Stallworth is willing to take a one-year deal with New England, the team he would love to play for if he doesn't return to Philadelphia, to prove his value to the Patriots and around the league.

Stallworth recently talked about how much the Patriots appealed to him, and now New England is giving him a chance to say the same thing to its coaches and front office.

I'm thinking you can pencil in Welker as Troy Browns eventual replacement, if not his replacement for next year. They have mostly the same skills and strengths. I've always been a big fan of Troy and will be sorry to see him go, but I realize he ain't getting any younger.

He's young and up-and-coming. Troy Brown might finally be ready to retire and Welker is a Troy Brown kind of guy, only faster. I like the move.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I hear they were interested in him.

I seem to remember being very frustrated with him when we played MIA. I like it and the money sounds fair as well.

I'm liking what the Pats are doing this year! :D

:D

here's the thing that gets me. you know they coulda had randy moss for that price. apparently the patriots would rather have wes welker than randy moss.

:D

How do you know what Moss can be had for? Davis wanted two #1s for Porter last year, and he let him sit instead of budging. What makes you think he'd take a #2 for Moss?

I'm curious to know the guaranteed money that this guy is getting. Sure, he may put up decent numbers for a late #2 WR draft pick on a FF team and I'm sure he will contribute in the NE system. But, the fact of the matter is that reports state that Moss and Djax might have been had for 1st day draft pick. NE appears desperate to get a decent WR with a 2nd round pick after getting rid of Branch.

If any other team, besides the Pats, gave up a 2nd round pick for Wes freaking Welker, I think many questions arise.

Agreed that giving up Branch looks bad in hindsight. It probably cost them a trip to the SB. Then again, NE has never spent big money on WRs and they've somehow managed to win 3 SBs. They weren't going to pay D-Jax what he wants and Randy Moss isn't worth much in a sytem that makes its WRs go over the middle and block.

I'd say that Welker is arguably worth a late 2nd-round pick. What kind of WR talent are you going to get at that point in the draft? And how long is that talent going to take to develop? Three years? Maybe two if you're lucky. And that's assuming that the player is actually able to play in the NFL. We already know that Welker is a better WR than Charles Rogers or David Terrell. And he didn't cost a high first-round pick.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Agreed that giving up Branch looks bad in hindsight. It probably cost them a trip to the SB. Then again, NE has never spent big money on WRs and they've somehow managed to win 3 SBs. They weren't going to pay D-Jax what he wants and Randy Moss isn't worth much in a sytem that makes its WRs go over the middle and block.

I'd say that Welker is arguably worth a late 2nd-round pick. What kind of WR talent are you going to get at that point in the draft? And how long is that talent going to take to develop? Three years? Maybe two if you're lucky. And that's assuming that the player is actually able to play in the NFL. We already know that Welker is a better WR than Charles Rogers or David Terrell.

The main problem with the Branch situation was the impact of budging to the demands of a player under contract refusing to play unless they re-did the contract. This would set a precendent to other players that felt underpaid and would have opened the door for other players to say "well, they teared up Branch's and paid him, it's my turn".

The Seahawks came forward with a #1 pick and the Pats wisely got good value in return for Branch.

I mean they had Branch in 2005 and made it one round further in 2006 without him, so folks can say they would have made the SB if they had Branch, but you never know. If they did sign Branch to big $$, would have they went hard after Adalius Thomas?

The Pats also took cap space that everyone was complaining about being unused last year and resigned some of their potential free agents and applied that money to last years cap (Seymour & Koppen).

I have no complaints with what the Pats have done. Now if Welker came in at 7 for $38M or whatever, I'd be leary.

The main problem with the Branch situation was the impact of budging to the demands of a player under contract refusing to play unless they re-did the contract. This would set a precendent to other players that felt underpaid and would have opened the door for other players to say "well, they teared up Branch's and paid him, it's my turn".

The Seahawks came forward with a #1 pick and the Pats wisely got good value in return for Branch.

I mean they had Branch in 2005 and made it one round further in 2006 without him, so folks can say they would have made the SB if they had Branch, but you never know. If they did sign Branch to big $$, would have they went hard after Adalius Thomas?

Well, I guess if sending a message to players is the most important thing than keeping better players.....all the power to the Pats. Seems to me they gave Welker the contract that Branch was looking for.

Wes Welker - 7 years 38 million with 18.1 million guranteed for a late 2nd round pick.

Deions Branch - 6 years 39 million with 13 million guranteed for a late 1st round pick.