[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamarcus Russell: Boom or Bust?

spain

Quinn & Stanton for sure.

I also like Edwards' chances, Beck's chances, & Stanback's chance - who I think someone will positively steal in the draft.

ehh - I like Quinn, Stanton and Edwards -

Beck - limited QB- maybe in the right system

Stanback? - yer outta mind there- he is terrible and his only shot will be to change positions.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ehh - I like Quinn, Stanton and Edwards -

Beck - limited QB- maybe in the right system

Stanback? - yer outta mind there- he is terrible and his only shot will be to change positions.

I already said Stanback was a darkhorse, but I like what he showed while being undercoached badly at WAS.

With his speed, he'll probably end up at WR (he just missed making the NCAA nationals in the 100), but it isn't out of the question that he'd play QB. If he weren't hurt last year, his prorated stats would have ended up around 2600+ yds passing, 20 passing TDs, 6 INTs, 700 yds rushing, & 8 rushing TDs.

Think that wouldn't have gotten some notice?

In any case, he would need some serious seasoning to remain at QB - like I stated earlier, his coaching at WAS was underwhelming to say the least. But physically, he can play the game. Hell, he scorched your U of A Wildpussies for 293 yds passing, 2 passing TDs, and 1 INT to go with 10 rushes for 47 yds when WAS whipped your arses in Tucson.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I already said Stanback was a darkhorse, but I like what he showed while being undercoached badly at WAS.

With his speed, he'll probably end up at WR (he just missed making the NCAA nationals in the 100), but it isn't out of the question that he'd play QB. If he weren't hurt last year, his prorated stats would have ended up around 2600+ yds passing, 20 passing TDs, 6 INTs, 700 yds rushing, & 8 rushing TDs.

Think that wouldn't have gotten some notice?

In any case, he would need some serious seasoning to remain at QB - like I stated earlier, his coaching at WAS was underwhelming to say the least. But physically, he can play the game. Hell, he scorched your U of A Wildpussies for 293 yds passing, 2 passing TDs, and 1 INT to go with 10 rushes for 47 yds when WAS whipped your arses in Tucson.

Maybe he should have gone to yer QB camp? eh Billy Boy. Now we are an expert on UW QB coaching ? there is no bounds to yer genius.

ok, again, spit out all the stats you like- if you actually watched him..... he has terrible pocket presence, sees the field poorly and is not accurate. Other than that- he is a hell of a QB.

If a team has 5 years to wait- they are golden- he ain't playin QB at the next level-

ok, again, spit out all the stats you like- if you actually watched him..... he has terrible pocket presence, sees the field poorly and is not accurate. Other than that- he is a hell of a QB.

If a team has 5 years to wait- they are golden- he ain't playin QB at the next level-

You're probably right.

We'll see.

Do you realize how stupid this last sentence is. Moss and Porter are both vets, they should be better than a college player. And the fact they both lost interest shows, that if things go wrong again, which with that OL, it will, they will just do what comes natural, pout and suck. Oakland needs to trade Moss to GB for a pick, take Calvin, and get Beck in round 2 or 3 and this franchise will have a franchise Qb and WR and something to build around. Russell will add to the problems this team has suffered in the last few drafts. Can you imagine another high round bust.

BTW, stick around here long enough and Ill teach you a thing or two about football :D

What's this with attacking people's intelligence? Look, we have a difference in opinion. You don't see me calling anyone stupid for theirs.

Honestly I find this scenario where Moss gets traded to be nothing more than ridiculous speculation. Sure the Packers would like to have him, but what really makes you think Al Davis is capable or willing to make this trade? Last I heard Davis was interested in picking up Culpepper and keeping Moss. Who knows with that fool.

What I really find funny though is that all of you are dead set on basing your Russell predictions on him going to Oakland, yet none of you think he will. What sense does that make?

I think this was discussed pretty well in the draft university thread, but it's well worth revisiting on the main board just before the draft.

Russell has tremendous physical tools - he can through the ball a country mile on a line. Like you stated, spain, that doesn't make an NFL QB. Look at the guys with phenominal arms who haven't made it as accomplished passers in the NFL recently: Vick, Boller, George to name a few.

QBs have to understand how small the windows are in the NFL - especially compared to college, and how quickly they can close, as well as fundamental game scheming, wide field vision, and checking down to be capable of competing at a high level in the bigs. My greatest concern with Russell is his ability to understand passing windows. He showed in college that he'll force balls into areas where receivers aren't open - but he got away with it because of his arm strength.

It wasn't that he'd put balls into places where only his receiver could catch them - Favre used to be a master at that. Favre would throw into double & triple coverage, but he'd put the ball in such good places that he'd get away with it a lot of times (and consequently he'd get INTs when he miscalculated just a little bit). Russell flat out threw balls where he shouldn't have - and he doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy required to do that. At least I haven't seen it yet.

That isn't something that a QB just learns - it takes imagination and being able to see how coverage plays out and where D players are coming from, and it takes seeing that in your mind in the split second before you throw the ball.

Russell could end up being a phenominal NFL QB - the physical skills are certainly all there. But IMO, there is greater risk of his being a mediocre QB or a complete bust than there are with other players at the top of the draft, and if he's going to be the 1.01 the risk ought to be absolutely minimal or the upside so phenominal that it overshadows the risk completely. I don't see that with Russell. In fact, I think there are at least 2 QBs in this draft who will be better pro QBs even if Russell becomes a solid starter, and there are at least 3 more, including one sleeper, who have a decent chance of being better pro QBs.

Wow. All this coming from a guy who thinks Freddie Jones is a balding, middle-aged, white guy.

What's this with attacking people's intelligence? Look, we have a difference in opinion. You don't see me calling anyone stupid for theirs.

Honestly I find this scenario where Moss gets traded to be nothing more than ridiculous speculation. Sure the Packers would like to have him, but what really makes you think Al Davis is capable or willing to make this trade? Last I heard Davis was interested in picking up Culpepper and keeping Moss. Who knows with that fool.

What I really find funny though is that all of you are dead set on basing your Russell predictions on him going to Oakland, yet none of you think he will. What sense does that make?

Dont kid yourself young skywalker. Russell will go to Oakland, there is lil doubt in my mind on that. And I think Oakland has soured on Moss. They should trade him for whatever they could get for him, as do you really want any other young player to be influenced by this f*cktard. if I was Oakland, i take the best player available and that is CJ. Oakland will take russell and set the worst franchise in the NFL back another 5 yrs.

BTW, I aint calling you stupid, or ignorant. Im saying read what you wrote, and that sentence is stupid. Not you. Get some thicker skin dude. Cause if you plan on being here a while, you are going to need it. :D

Walter isn't the problem in OAK - he's got credibility as a QB, even though his pro numbers don't show it. No QB could succeed in that O with the O-line they have. Hell, Walter was being avalanched by DLs by the time his set his feet in those 7 step drops they were running last year. Seriously - it was ugly no matter who the QB was. Walter showed a lot just having the balls to complete the passes he did last year.

:D

Walter is qualified, and the prototype long-bomb "Al-Davis Quarterback."

Give him time after he says "Hike" and some WR that care about playing, and you'll see.

Useless thought of the day: Has there ever been a "good" NFL QB with a 3 syllable first name?

I realize a person's name has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to play QB, but it seems all the good ones have a one syllable name like Joe, John, Dan, Brett, Fran, etc. And there are some with two as well. But how 'bout three?

Again, this is obviously not scientific or even meaningful. Just something to add (that doesnt bode well, historically speaking, for Jamarcus) to the topic of whether or not Russell will be a bust.

Edited by Delicious_bass

Useless thought of the day: Has there ever been a "good" NFL QB with a 3 syllable first name?

I realize a person's name has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to play QB, but it seems all the good ones have a one syllable name like Joe, John, Dan, Brett, Fran, etc. And there are some with two as well. But how 'bout three?

Again, this is obviously not scientific or even meaningful. Just something to add (that doesnt bode well, historically speaking, for Jamarcus) to the topic of whether or not Russell will be a bust.

Don o van McNabb

E-li-jah Manning

not a chance

Drew Stanton, career, Mich. St:

36 games @ QB

29 starts @ QB

(played in 45 games - the rest were on special teams)

543 of 846 passes for 6,524 yards (2nd in school history), 64.2% comp. pct (best in school history)

42 touchdowns (fifth in school history)

28 interceptions.

332 rushes for 1,512 yards (4.6 avg.) (2nd in school history for a QB)

15 rushing TDs

Now here's the best part of the story:

NFL draft, Mich St O players, 2004-2006 (when Stanton was playing QB):

Year Round Player Name Position Team

2006 7th round Chris Morris C OAK

2005 6th round Deandra Cobb RB ATL

2005 7th round William Whitticker G GB

2004 None (except starting QB Jeff Smoker by STL in the 6th)\

Here are the O guys in the 2007 draft from Mich St(except Stanton, of course):

Herron, David FB 6-1 239

Trannon, Matt WR 6-6 237

That's it. Not a hell of a lot around him for him to put up the huge numbers he did in essentially 2 seasons.

Talk about making chicken salad out of chicken Sega!...

I really think he can be a stud in the NFL. The guys playing for him will love him (Favre-like attitude of wishing to be an O-lineman).

Edited by Bronco Billy

36 games @ QB

29 starts @ QB

543 of 846 passes for 6,524 yards (2nd in school history), 64.2% comp. pct (best in school history)

28 interceptions.

15 rushing TDs

Herron, David FB 6-1 239

Trannon, Matt WR 6-6 237

That's it. Not a hell of a lot around him for him to put up the huge numbers he did in essentially 2 seasons.

I really think he can be a stud in the NFL. The guys playing for him will love him (Favre-like attitude of wishing to be an O-lineman).

4 words for ya........

The Big Ten Stinks

That is how he put up some nice numbers.

No- seriously, I like him- I think he could be a good one.

36 games @ QB

29 starts @ QB

28 interceptions.

15 rushing TDs

Herron, David FB 6-1 239

Trannon, Matt WR 6-6 237

Good analysis BB, but, unfortunately, Sarge said there was no chance that he would be any good, so the case is closed on this one. :D

• 2 years later...