[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How's that Peyton Manning pick working out for you ...

Grits and Shins

When you take QBs early the other skills positions are filled with less quality.

well, no kidding, genius, thanks for that brilliant insight. and when you take other positions early, your QB slot is filled with less quality.

it's odd that, of all the disappointing players drafted high, you'd have this hang-up for manning, who has been fine so far and would still probably be the first QB taken in any draft held today (brady might give him a run).

how about all the crappy (thus far) first round RB picks, do they reflect badly on the strategy of drafting RBs in the first round? :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB drafted first (not necessarily still on same team or starting) / team record / round drafted the QB

Brady 3-2 - round 2 (Division Leader)

P. Manning 3-2 - round 2

Palmer 3-2 - round 2

Brees 0-5 - round 2

Bulger 1-4 - round 4

Kitna 4-1 - round 4 (Division Leader)

McNabb 1-4 - round 5

Rivers 3-2 - round 5

V. Young 2-3 - round 5

Lienart 3-2 - round 6

Romo 5-0 - round 7 (Division Leader)

E. Manning 2-3 - round 10

So, in this league at least, 4 of the top 6 QBs are on winning teams including two of the three division leaders. The two "bust" QBs - Bulger and Brees - are dragging their teams down. Romo is a nice surprise, but what was there to really bullseye him as the guy to have? He was a popular sleeper, but nothing to suggest he would score as the #1 QB.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

well, no kidding, genius, thanks for that brilliant insight. and when you take other positions early, your QB slot is filled with less quality.

it's odd that, of all the disappointing players drafted high, you'd have this hang-up for manning, who has been fine so far and would still probably be the first QB taken in any draft held today (brady might give him a run).

how about all the crappy (thus far) first round RB picks, do they reflect badly on the strategy of drafting RBs in the first round? :D

by and large it's a FF no-no to take a qb first/early. This yr has been somewhat of an anomaly, I'll give you that, but I'll never as long as I live, take a QB w/ my first pick. I'm still hanging in there in 2 big $$ leagues, namely with Favre, who I drafted late and started all along, I even drafted Leinart before him, but shed him a few weeks before the injury for C-Pep. Doesn't sound like a dazzler, but, like I said, I'm hanging in there at 4th place outta 12 and would be in the playoffs if they started today. Don't rag on G&S too much about this, I totally agree w/ his mindset.

The QB thing is just blown way out of proportion anymore. I'll take a guy at any position anywhere in the draft if I think its the right spot. If I knew Brady would have this kind of season, I would draft him in round 1.

Don't rag on G&S too much about this, I totally agree w/ his mindset.

Ok, we'll just find other things to rag on him about. :D

A late first round pick of Peyton Manning could easily have yeilded a team of:

Peyton Manning

Edgerrin James

Marshawn Lynch

Randy Moss

Lendale White

Braylon Edwards

Jason Witten

NEP DST

Jericho Cotchery

Brett Favre

not a bad start. That's just looking at who was available in the 1.11, etc., spot in one of my leagues.

It's so much more about who you draft than where you draft them. I am a believer in the RB theory.....but I have seen plenty of success with teams using other strategies.

Funny I drafted Brady in the 2nd round when Peyton Manning went 1 pick before him. I made a comment that Brady will be the best QB in the league and everyone laughed at me because i am a tool? Why am I a tool? Its a damn curse to be tool all the time! I proved that time after time here at The Huddle.

ugly :D toolna

fixed again

The Peyton owner in my league took him 9th overall (10 teams). He still has Willie Parker, Roy Williams, Ronnie Brown, Randy Moss and Tony G. He's 4-2 and tied for first in his Division...

Meh, for what its worth my main local league has the following (12 team league).

P manning owner took him 1.08 and is 2-3

C. Palmer owner took him at 2.01 and is 3-3

T. Brady owner took him at 2.04 and is 6-0

Romo owner took him at 1.02 and is 5-1 (first loss this week).

I'd say that is mixed results. This local is QB crazy though. 9 QBs were drafted by the end of the 3rd round. I waited until the 6th since I was aiming for Kitna. Luckily that has panned out, but the left over QBs (outside of Farve who I don't think anybody predicted would have this good of a year) were pretty bad if someone would have grabbed Kitna before me. I think next year I am going to pay a little less attention to average draft position and just reach for some people I think are very likely to have a solid year (maybe I'm just bitter from the L Evans bust). Reaching for players can get you laughed at on draft day but we all known that the beginning year's predictions are really just educated guesses.

:D

And STILL people can't see that drafting a QB early is most often a path to a mediocre team at best.

Five years ago, I draft Peyton Manning 1.6 in the first year of a dynasty league. He's the only original player left. I've never missed the playoffs and won the championship twice. Never had an LT, Holmes, or Faulk on the team.

Hurt me with that kind of mediocrity.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Five years ago, I draft Peyton Manning 1.6 in the first year of a dynasty league. He's the only original player left. I've never missed the playoffs and won the championship twice. Never had an LT, Holmes, or Faulk on the team.

Hurt me with that kind of mediocrity.

Did you win that first year when you paid the high cost of getting him?

My league has different QB scoring (1pt/25 yards, 6 pt TD, -2 for INT/FUM). I drafted Manning in the first round (4th spot) this year and last year. I am undefeated this year and I won the league last year.

I don't think that one player makes your team or that one round makes your draft.

This year, I have R. Brown and AD Peterson as RBs. Last year, I had Westbrook, plus Wayne and Jackson at WR.

Maybe I am just living on dumb luck?

Took

LT 1.1

Brady 2.12

but the rest of my team is lacking with

driver

benson

de williams

If you take a QB early, you had better nail them, or else you could be in trouble.

Conversly, if you wait on your QB this year, and end with rivers,leinart, etc,etc, then you would be in trouble.

Meh, for what its worth my main local league has the following (12 team league).

P manning owner took him 1.08 and is 2-3

C. Palmer owner took him at 2.01 and is 3-3

T. Brady owner took him at 2.04 and is 6-0

Romo owner took him at 1.02 and is 5-1 (first loss this week).

I'd say that is mixed results. This local is QB crazy though. 9 QBs were drafted by the end of the 3rd round. I waited until the 6th since I was aiming for Kitna. Luckily that has panned out, but the left over QBs (outside of Farve who I don't think anybody predicted would have this good of a year) were pretty bad if someone would have grabbed Kitna before me. I think next year I am going to pay a little less attention to average draft position and just reach for some people I think are very likely to have a solid year (maybe I'm just bitter from the L Evans bust). Reaching for players can get you laughed at on draft day but we all known that the beginning year's predictions are really just educated guesses.

I agree with you. Those that tried to wait and get brady at his ADP were upset when i grabbed him end of the 2nd round.

• 3 weeks later...
It’s been six weeks. How have teams that took Peyton Manning first overall (or even in the 1st round for that matter) fared? In my local league here is how the QBs rate based on their weekly average and when they were drafted:

Tom Brady 25.69 drafted 4.10

Tony Romo 23.18 drafted 5.10

Derek Anderson 20.507 free agent

Carson Palmer 20.168 drafted 4.07

Jake Delhomme 19.427 drafted 12.09

Brian Griese 19.38 free agent

Peyton Manning 19.352 drafted 2.05

Cleo Lemon 17.09 free agent

Jon Kitna 16.724 drafted 6.04

Brett Favre 16.6 drafted 11.08

Daunte Culpepper 16.073 drafted 14.08

David Garrard 15.972 free agent

Ben Roethlisberger 15.844 drafted 12.01

Matt Hasslebeck 15.667 drafted 7.04

Jason Campbell 15.008 free agent

Peyton Manning owner is 2-4

Tom Brady owner will be 0-6 or 1-5 pending tonight’s game

Carson Palmer owner is 2-4

Tony Romo owner is 5-1

Delhomme / Hasslebeck owner is 3-3

Kitna owner is 1-5

Jason Campbell / Vince Young owner is 6-0 or 5-1 pending tonight’s game

So anybody that drafted a QB before round 5 is suffering.

In light of what's going on here tonite, this is a good topic to be re-addressed

Pick 	Ovr	Selection					   
2.05 	17 	Manning, Peyton			  IND
4.07 	43 	Palmer, Carson		   	CIN
4.1	  46 	Brady, Tom			   	NEP
5.02 	50 	Brees, Drew				  NOS
5.05 	53 	Bulger, Marc			 	STL
5.07 	55 	McNabb, Donovan			  PHI
5.1	  58 	Romo, Tony			   	DAL
6.04 	64 	Kitna, Jon			   	DET
6.12 	72 	Young, Vince			 	TEN
7.04 	76 	Hasselbeck, Matt		 	SEA
7.12 	84 	Rivers, Philip		   	SDC
8.02 	86 	Leinart, Matt				ARI
11.02	122	Manning, Eli			 	NYG
11.07	127	Losman, J.P.			 	BUF
11.08	128	Favre, Brett			 	GBP
12.01	133	Roethlisberger, Ben		  PIT
12.02	134	Cutler, Jay				  DEN
12.09	141	Delhomme, Jake		   	CAR
12.12	144	Smith, Alex				  SFO
14.04	160	McNair, Steve				BAL
14.07	163	Pennington, Chad		 	NYJ
14.08	164	Culpepper, Daunte			OAK
15.03	171	Green, Trent			 	MIA

After 10 weeks in my local:

Peyton Manning owner will likely move to 5-5.

Palmer owner will likely be 4-6.

Brady owner will be 0-10.

Brees owner will be 5-5

Bulger owner will be 6-4

McNabb owner will likely be 3-7.

Romo owner will be 7-3

Kitna owner will be 2-8

Vince Young owner will be 9-1

Hasslebeck owner will be 6-4

Rivers owner will be 7-3

Lienart owner will be 7-3