[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New England/Miami game Thread

SuperCharger

I can see getting upset about running up a score if you're talking about kids playing a game... but these are professional teams, professional players, professional coaches... if they can't compete with a particular team, then I say open the flood gates and score as much as you can. The only problem I might have would be if the Pats had a huge lead, and then didn't take precautions to protect their star players by letting the Jr. Varsity come out and finish things up. But that would be a knock against the coaching, not the players. If I'm a professional player, and I'm on the field, you better believe I am always going to try my hardest to defeat the opposition on every single play.

+1

Complaints about running up the score are just whining.

Agreed.

If that happens, Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas will start taking cheap shots at Brady in the 4th quarter. You don't run up the score to embarrass your opponent in the NFL. That's a big no-no.

Neither JT or Zach would ever take a cheap shot at Brady. They both realize where they're at right now and both have too much class to do anything to hurt Brady. Now i wouldn't mind someone chase a player out of bounds and chip Bill standing there on the sideline.

Wow, i cannot believe how far my beloved Dolphins have fallen. :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So scoring points and playing the game for a full 60 minutes is unsportsmanlike? :D I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Playing and scoring points are two different things. The other side to this is Brady/Moss playing into the 4th quarter of a meaningless game and either sustaining a serious injury- how much sense is there from any point of view for these guys to play any in the second half :D

So scoring points and playing the game for a full 60 minutes is unsportsmanlike? :D I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Apparently you don't know the difference between "playing the game" and "running up the score." There's a right and a wrong way to play sports, and "running up the score" falls into the "wrong way" category.

Playing and scoring points are two different things. The other side to this is Brady/Moss playing into the 4th quarter of a meaningless game and either sustaining a serious injury- how much sense is there from any point of view for these guys to play any in the second half :D

It's the second quarter. You guys want them to bench their starters in the 2ND FREAKING QUARTER??!!

Here's a thought: put up a fight and it's not even an issue. 42-7? LMAO. What a bunch of babies...

If I were the coach in this situation I'd play my starters through the 3rd and sit them in the 4th but I wouldn't change the play calling and would still stay agressive on offense for the full 60 minutes.

Apparently you don't know the difference between "playing the game" and "running up the score." There's a right and a wrong way to play sports, and "running up the score" falls into the "wrong way" category.

I don't believe it's possible to run up the score in a professional sports game. They are professional. Again, agree to disagree.

Bill, should we have a quick trawl around your posts on this subject when Peyton was racking 'em up a couple years ago? :D

You seem to forget the game in December of that year against the Ravens when the Colts had the ball deep in BAL territory with about a two-score lead late in the 4th. Peyton's next TD would've tied the record, but Dungy told him to take a knee. In the post-game news conference, Peyton said that he took a knee because "there's a right and a wrong way to play the game." In BAL's post-game conference Ray Lewis said that he respected Peyton's decision to respect his opponent, rather than to set a personal record. You also forget the game at DET on Thanksgiving of that year when Peyton got benched after throwing 6 TDs in the first three quarters and the Colts played conservatively to run out the clock.

Despite what ceratin people on this board may tell you, there is an unwritten code of conduct in the NFL. Running up the score to embarrass a team or to set personal records is overwhelmingly looked down upon.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I love how all these Indy fans are talking about running up the score hmm maybe they learned that from the Colts it seems to me you never had a problem with it when Indy was doing that when Manning was going for the td record. I remember 1 game when Indy was up by 21 and had the ball 1 and goal on the 4 and guess what they did Manning passed for a TD im sure you thought that was ok

I love how all these Indy fans are talking about running up the score hmm maybe they learned that from the Colts it seems to me you never had a problem with it when Indy was doing that when Manning was going for the td record. I remember 1 game when Indy was up by 21 and had the ball 1 and goal on the 4 and guess what they did Manning passed for a TD im sure you thought that was ok

You seem to forget the game in December of that year against the Ravens when the Colts had the ball deep in BAL territory with about a two-score lead late in the 4th. Peyton's next TD would've tied the record, but Dungy told him to take a knee. In the post-game news conference, Peyton said that he took a knee because "there's a right and a wrong way to play the game." In BAL's post-game conference Ray Lewis said that he respected Peyton's decision to respect his opponent, rather than to set a personal record. You also forget the game at DET on Thanksgiving of that year when Peyton got benched after throwing 6 TDs in the first three quarters and the Colts played conservatively to run out the clock.

:D:D