[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wed, March 12, 10:00 EST

untateve

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, for a minute I thought untateve was gonna get his wish.

+1

The fact Lisa was doing so well was getting me pissed off.

I thing Richard was the best chef, technically.

However, Stephanie was certainly more well rounded.

Was pulling for Richard, but Steph was rightful Top Chef.

They need to amend the judging. Lisa almost pulling this thing off was crap. She was at the bottom almost the whole time and then pull off one good meal and be crowned Top Chef. The judging needs to reflect previous performances. And the final would have been better with 3 top performing chefs. My wife and I spent the whole show bitching about Lisa even being there.

Was pulling for Richard, but Steph was rightful Top Chef.

In the end I agree with this.

man, for a minute I thought untateve was gonna get his wish.

seems to me like the best person won. :wacko:

I was hoping...I was driving my wife insane. If Lisa's steak had been special, I think she would have pulled it off. Oh well. Maybe the scary possibility that Lisa almost won will change the judging criteria.

Keep in mind this is a reality show and entertainment. If we all knew it was going to be Dale, Stephanie, and Richard in the final and Richard wins, why watch all the episodes up to the final. Having a-hole Lisa come from behind is entertainment and what makes this kind of TV show work.

So, my take on it (spoilers off, since if you've gotten this far in the thread I'm sure you've seen the finale):

I think the judges had a crisis at the final judge's table. I'm not saying they conspired or cheated, but I think there was an unspoken tone of

1. Richard has the longest track record of excellence, we all know that

2. Lisa has a long track record of being at the bottom and hanging on by her fingernails

1. Richard had a bad day on the final day

2. Lisa had a strong day on the final day

1. We can't give it to Richard, since he "choked" at the buzzer.

2. We can't give it to Lisa, since she doesn't deserve it cumulatively.

3. Let's give it to Stefanie!!!

It was especially telling that this happened when they gave Stefanie the win just minutes after one of the judges said "Stefanie's dessert SUCKED". I don't think I've ever heard the word "sucked" to describe a dish by the judges. . .not even Dale's butterscotch scallops.

Oh, and I think Richard made a hugh mistake by hanging his head and telling the judges how he "choked". This was his last chance to make an impression. Even if he did think he had a bad day, he really needed to hold his head high and say "I stand by my food and my choices. I thought my menu was outstanding". There's a title and $100,000 on the line here. . .By saying he choked, he basically told the judges "I don't deserve to win. Don't give it to me".

Oh, and I think Richard made a hugh mistake by hanging his head and telling the judges how he "choked". This was his last chance to make an impression. Even if he did think he had a bad day, he really needed to hold his head high and say "I stand by my food and my choices. I thought my menu was outstanding". There's a title and $100,000 on the line here. . .By saying he choked, he basically told the judges "I don't deserve to win. Don't give it to me".

That's one way to look at it but as I see it - Richard was by far the better cook. It was his to lose however his integrity really became the highlight of the night. Sure, he could have bitched and whined like previous chefs and "stood" by his food but he knew it fell short. I guarantee others knew they screwed up but they wanted the money and the title so they would say anything to save their ass. Richard did stand by his food - he said it sucked and could have been better. To me, that's more admirable and I salute him for not sacrificing his integrity.

That's one way to look at it but as I see it - Richard was by far the better cook. It was his to lose however his integrity really became the highlight of the night. Sure, he could have bitched and whined like previous chefs and "stood" by his food but he knew it fell short. I guarantee others knew they screwed up but they wanted the money and the title so they would say anything to save their ass. Richard did stand by his food - he said it sucked and could have been better. To me, that's more admirable and I salute him for not sacrificing his integrity.

It's hard to imagine working that hard for something, believing it's within in your grasp, and then losing it because you didn't perform at your best. When he admitted he "choked," he completely earned my respect. I am a strong believer that when you fk up, you own it.

He knows his ability and he knows the quality of food he is capable of creating. He knew it wasn't his best. He did what was right and admitted it. There are times in each person's life when s/he is faced with these kinds of decisions. How you respond matters.

Above is how I see it when it came to Richard.

Thankfully, the judge thought it appropriate that Stephanie was top chef even though it appeared that Lisa had the better meal that night. I can't help but think past performance did play into the final decision or creative editing helped the audience think that Lisa had a reasonable shot at the top prize. Lisa was the clear #3 of the final three and realistically should not have been in the top 5 of all the contestants.

Edited by TDFFFreak

So, my take on it (spoilers off, since if you've gotten this far in the thread I'm sure you've seen the finale):

I think the judges had a crisis at the final judge's table. I'm not saying they conspired or cheated, but I think there was an unspoken tone of

1. Richard has the longest track record of excellence, we all know that

2. Lisa has a long track record of being at the bottom and hanging on by her fingernails

1. Richard had a bad day on the final day

2. Lisa had a strong day on the final day

1. We can't give it to Richard, since he "choked" at the buzzer.

2. We can't give it to Lisa, since she doesn't deserve it cumulatively.

3. Let's give it to Stefanie!!!

It was especially telling that this happened when they gave Stefanie the win just minutes after one of the judges said "Stefanie's dessert SUCKED". I don't think I've ever heard the word "sucked" to describe a dish by the judges. . .not even Dale's butterscotch scallops.

I think you're selling stephanie short a bit. I don't think I watched every episode, but in what I did see she seemed to be just as strong as richard every step of the way. I think she "won" as many weeks as richard, and she seemed to be strong week in and week out. maybe not as creative as richard in a conceptual sort of way, but probably even more creative in terms of working with unique flavor combinations and executing memorable dishes. I mean, which is the sign of a better chef, coming up with a dish that is a clever little play on the chicken/egg question that tastes okay, or a chef that comes up with a lamb dish with strange-sounding flavor combinations (braised pistachios, olives and whatever else) that raises all of the judges eyebrows until they try it and it tastes awesome?

I think you're selling stephanie short a bit. I don't think I watched every episode, but in what I did see she seemed to be just as strong as richard every step of the way. I think she "won" as many weeks as richard, and she seemed to be strong week in and week out. maybe not as creative as richard in a conceptual sort of way, but probably even more creative in terms of working with unique flavor combinations and executing memorable dishes. I mean, which is the sign of a better chef, coming up with a dish that is a clever little play on the chicken/egg question that tastes okay, or a chef that comes up with a lamb dish with strange-sounding flavor combinations (braised pistachios, olives and whatever else) that raises all of the judges eyebrows until they try it and it tastes awesome?

Her desert in the final. . .and I'm quoting the judges. . . "SUCKED".

Also, Stefanie was in the bottom 3 and in danger of elimination at least once, possibly more (can't remember every episode). Richard was never in danger of being sent home.

I think she's a fine choice as winner, I think she's an outstanding chef (having never tasted her food and therefore in no position to judge). Bottom line to me was, if it were a roto league, Richard would have cruised home to the win. In the head-to-head format, Lisa should have won. I believe the judges subconsciously knew they couldn't give the win to Lisa, and Richard told them not to give it to him. Who's left?

Her desert in the final. . .and I'm quoting the judges. . . "SUCKED".

Also, Stefanie was in the bottom 3 and in danger of elimination at least once, possibly more (can't remember every episode). Richard was never in danger of being sent home.

I think she's a fine choice as winner, I think she's an outstanding chef (having never tasted her food and therefore in no position to judge). Bottom line to me was, if it were a roto league, Richard would have cruised home to the win. In the head-to-head format, Lisa should have won. I believe the judges subconsciously knew they couldn't give the win to Lisa, and Richard told them not to give it to him. Who's left?

Richard was on the chopping block the week he served salmon with scales still attached.

i thought stephanie was consistantly good, but richard had superior skills. just soooooo bad that lisa made it so far.

it is fun to watch the show.... but we are missing a hugh element in this: we don't get to try their dishes.. just wonder how good/bad they were.

Richard was on the chopping block the week he served salmon with scales still attached.

I stand corrected, but if I remember that was a group challenge.

Let's just face facts, I thought Richard deserved it more than Stefanie and Lisa because I'm a hugh misogynist.

i thought stephanie was consistantly good, but richard had superior skills. just soooooo bad that lisa made it so far.

it is fun to watch the show.... but we are missing a hugh element in this: we don't get to try their dishes.. just wonder how good/bad they were.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate experience... test out all the dishes each week. That might be the only way to make this show any better.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate experience... test out all the dishes each week. That might be the only way to make this show any better.

What if Padma hosted the show au naturale?

Oh, and I don't think I'd want to try Dale's scallops. I would like to try Richard's bacon ice cream. It's bacon. . .it's ice cream. . .that's gotta be good, right??