[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wed, March 12, 10:00 EST

untateve

That was a pretty easy one to call. You could tell the scallops were gonna be Spike's demise.

yeah.... poor choice to use those. just shocked that either spike (7 elimination tables) or lisa (5 elimination tables) would have made it to the final 4. i think they need to be more clear about what sends a person home. a fun challenge to watch.... working a line is not an easy task.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted on the Bravo message boards, I wish ill on none of the final four. However, I hope that

Lisa puts together some incredible dishes and the judges have no recourse but to award her "Top Chef."

This could certainly cause them to review their judging criteria.

To be clear, I do not believe that this will happen.

Bier....anyone...

If Spike is sent home for using Frozen Scallops, I'm assuming that using frozen scallops would generally be a no-no in better restaurants. Really, why did the the Chef (forgot name) have them in his freezer? Are there situations they would be useful? In soups, perhaps?

I'm assuming that someone must use frozen scallops or they wouldn't be on the market.

btw, I'm tired of looking at Lisa's face.

Bier....anyone...

If Spike is sent home for using Frozen Scallops, I'm assuming that using frozen scallops would generally be a no-no in better restaurants. Really, why did the the Chef (forgot name) have them in his freezer? Are there situations they would be useful? In soups, perhaps?

I'm assuming that someone must use frozen scallops or they wouldn't be on the market.

btw, I'm tired of looking at Lisa's face.

From my reading, frozen scallops can be used in a mousse. There are also different ways of freezing scallops and I believe the best way is called "dry pack." There's also "wet pack" and another way that utilizes some chemical. I'm sure bier can provide more info.

i have used dry packed frozen scallops, and they have been quite good....not as good as fresh however. quality has to do with moisture. my guess is that when those scallops thawed it was prob easily recognizable that the quality wasn't there.

can use lower quality frozen scallops in mouse (as stated), base for crab cakes, seafood meadlies (paella, pastas, cioppino, etc).... in other words.... they can be decent as accompaniments, but i wouldn't highlight it on a plate.

What the hell is Lisa still doing there?!?!?!? I swear, if she takes it over Stephanie or Richard, I will... well, keep on living, but it'll be a huge injustice in the life of reality shows.

Edited by Bier Meister
spoiler

What the hell is Lisa still doing there?!?!?!? I swear, if she takes it over Stephanie or Richard, I will... well, keep on living, but it'll be a huge injustice in the life of reality shows.

i agree

man, that b*tch just has zero redeeming qualities. "why can't you guys congratulate me?" umm, congratulate you on coming in second-to-last for the 15th consecutive week? just makes you want to punch the muncher.

in a way though I sorta commend the judges for sticking to their stated policy, where each week is a clean slate, and whoever does the poorest job THAT WEEK goes home. the plus side of that is that it rewards consistency, which seems kind of an important quality for a true "top chef". it also assures that the chefs are being judged on the food they put out, not on perceptions of who is good from week to week. the downside is that it lets someone like lisa keep getting lucky and sneaking through. all told, I think they're doing ok, since probably the two best chefs on the season are through the the final. but if lisa somehow, miraculously wins, they may have to re-think their judging criteria a bit before next season.

Here's how the last conversation should have gone:

Lisa: I think you guys feel like the wrong person went home

Stefanie and Richard: Actually, we don't think you should made the final six, so. . . .DUH.

man, that b*tch just has zero redeeming qualities. "why can't you guys congratulate me?" umm, congratulate you on coming in second-to-last for the 15th consecutive week? just makes you want to punch the muncher.

in a way though I sorta commend the judges for sticking to their stated policy, where each week is a clean slate, and whoever does the poorest job THAT WEEK goes home. the plus side of that is that it rewards consistency, which seems kind of an important quality for a true "top chef". it also assures that the chefs are being judged on the food they put out, not on perceptions of who is good from week to week. the downside is that it lets someone like lisa keep getting lucky and sneaking through. all told, I think they're doing ok, since probably the two best chefs on the season are through the the final. but if lisa somehow, miraculously wins, they may have to re-think their judging criteria a bit before next season.

I hope that Richard and Stephanie create a wonderful meal in the finale. I also hope that Lisa creates an amazing dish that far outdistances her competitors. I hope the judges have no recourse but to give her the title of "Top Chef." Imagine Tom Coliccio having to introduce Lisa as "Top Chef" at the Food and Wine festival. How about those opening credits next year where Bravo has to add Lisa's mug to the Top Chef panel of champions. Imagine the questions, for years to come, from so many others--"How the hell did you crown Lisa as Top Chef?!? The bish finished on the chopping block more times than she didn't!" This, I believe, would be the catalyst to change the judging criteria.

I think the current judging criteria is problematic and it rewards those who play it (relatively) safe. And,as this season shows, you can finish near the bottom for more weeks than not, just don't finish at the bottom. Lisa and Spike, combined, had less wins this season than Dale. Clearly, Dale has his own issues. However, wouldn't a final consisting of Dale, Stephanie and Richard been more entertaining and interesting? I like watching the personalities but in the finale, I want to see the best chefs compete against each other. This year, we have two of the best chefs and clearly, one of the worst.

I hope that Richard and Stephanie create a wonderful meal in the finale. I also hope that Lisa creates an amazing dish that far outdistances her competitors. I hope the judges have no recourse but to give her the title of "Top Chef." Imagine Tom Coliccio having to introduce Lisa as "Top Chef" at the Food and Wine festival. How about those opening credits next year where Bravo has to add Lisa's mug to the Top Chef panel of champions. Imagine the questions, for years to come, from so many others--"How the hell did you crown Lisa as Top Chef?!? The bish finished on the chopping block more times than she didn't!" This, I believe, would be the catalyst to change the judging criteria.

I think the current judging criteria is problematic and it rewards those who play it (relatively) safe. And,as this season shows, you can finish near the bottom for more weeks than not, just don't finish at the bottom. Lisa and Spike, combined, had less wins this season than Dale. Clearly, Dale has his own issues. However, wouldn't a final consisting of Dale, Stephanie and Richard been more entertaining and interesting? I like watching the personalities but in the finale, I want to see the best chefs compete against each other. This year, we have two of the best chefs and clearly, one of the worst.

I find Dale's attitude after he was booted and while he was working with Stephanie more endearing then he was in his last few weeks still competing. Dale f*cked up with his attitude and wasn't well liked, but I still like the guy a whole lot more than Lisa's whiny ass and mediocre food.

You can just tell Dale cares a lot about his food and he did a nice job of swallowing his pride to help out his long time friend Stephanie. That shows me he has some class.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I find Dale's attitude after he was booted and while he was working with Stephanie more endearing then he was in his last few weeks still competing. Dale f*cked up with his attitude and wasn't well liked, but I still like the guy a whole lot more than Lisa's whiny ass and mediocre food.

You can just tell Dale cares a lot about his food and he did a nice job of swallowing his pride to help out his long time friend Stephanie. That shows me he has some class.

In one of bravo's "extra" videos at the website, Dale admits he has difficulty controlling his emotions. He was discussing how he left the pork out and how stephanie was "pissed" but never lost her composure or started yelling. If he learns to focus better when the schit hits the fan, he could be a great chef.

Once lisa learns to cook rice and shrimp, and season her food a little better, and come up with something unique and original, she might be a pretty good cook,

Once lisa learns to cook , season her food , and come up with original, ideas, she might actually be worthy of the title 'Chef"

Fixed

ETA: I'm by no means calling myself a great cook but mango papaya salsa? Come on, I learned to make that in college 11 years ago. She has zero creativity and all of her dishes are middle of the road.

Edited by twiley

Great blog from Bourdain on the whole dale fiasco, makes quite a bit of sense:

http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.../post.html#more

Thanks for it. Very good read.

Why don't people like Tony Bourdain?? The more of him I'm exposed to on TV and in writing, the more I like him.

Thanks for it. Very good read.

Why don't people like Tony Bourdain?? The more of him I'm exposed to on TV and in writing, the more I like him.

I like him as a writer. on TV he still comes across as kind of a d-bag to me. I'll still stay on his show for a few minutes sometimes when I'm channel surfing.

I like him as a writer. on TV he still comes across as kind of a d-bag to me.

Yeah, lots of people say that. . .I just don't see it at all. In fact, just the opposite.

Great blog from Bourdain on the whole dale fiasco, makes quite a bit of sense:

http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.../post.html#more

I previously read that blog. I believe him. I believe that Dale's scallops were horrifically putrid. Worse than Lisa's terrible dishes. And I agree that by the current judging system, one can argue correctly that Dale should have gone home.

My problem is with the current judging system ("What have you cooked lately?"). I think that past accomplishments and past failures should be taken into account. When two people really screw up, all things being equal, the person who screwed up worse goes home. However, IMO, when two people really screw up, but one has shown clearly stronger abiliity than the other, that person stays.

As I've noted, Lisa could potentially win "Top Chef." She is clearly not in the class of several others. She is in the final three because each week, she has not screwed up as bad as the worst. However, she has shown for the past 7-8 episodes (excepting when she made the cake), that she will consistently screw up. Consistently, she is on the chopping block. This is why I want Lisa to win on Wednesday. When I watch a finale, I want to see the best chefs creating meals. Again, take Lisa's and Spikes total wins for the entire season, and they do not equal the number of wins that Dale had. In Restaurant Wars, Stephanie managed to run the front of the house and put together two dishes. Spike ran the front of the house and provided the recipe for one dish--Dale successfully executed that dish.