[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice, Class Act!

Guest Chappy

matbe wear "08"

That would be harder than the "JR":

"08" is not a legal number per NFL rules

WRs must have numbers from 10-19 or 80-89 - with an only exception being if all those are taken, then another eligible number can be used.

Exactly. It's one of those #'s that wouldn't surprise me if it was retired by the entire league.

As a Vikings fan who had a very good WR wear the #80, I would not be in favor of that.

Any more than retiring #4 for the league. :wacko:

Why do spamshirts have to be retired at all?!? Sorry, I don't get it! Sure, hang the jersey on the building or a rafter, accept them into the ring of fame, etc...but why not let future players wear it? It's not like we are going to think they are the reincarnate of that person!! I respect what certain players have done for certain teams, but, that doesn't mean players somewhere down the line might not do the same or more. The whole concept is blown way out of proportion. If I were coming up, playing football my whole career (since childhood) as a certain number and was told that I couldn't have it as a pro because someone 40-50 years ago was "a really good player" I would think it was a joke. Look, I have the ultimate respect for these guys and what they have done for their teams, but respect them with a statue or like I said earlier...

Why do spamshirts have to be retired at all?!? Sorry, I don't get it! Sure, hang the jersey on the building or a rafter, accept them into the ring of fame, etc...but why not let future players wear it? It's not like we are going to think they are the reincarnate of that person!! I respect what certain players have done for certain teams, but, that doesn't mean players somewhere down the line might not do the same or more. The whole concept is blown way out of proportion. If I were coming up, playing football my whole career (since childhood) as a certain number and was told that I couldn't have it as a pro because someone 40-50 years ago was "a really good player" I would think it was a joke. Look, I have the ultimate respect for these guys and what they have done for their teams, but respect them with a statue or like I said earlier...

If all Rice (or Montana, or Favre or Marino or Emmit or Payton or Brown) will be to you is "a really good player" "40 or 50 years ago" then you do not respect them, or the game.

Those men, and many more, and certainly Jerry Rice more than most, have changed football into what we have today. They weren't just "really good". They captivated us and captured us. They spawned billion dollar contracts for the NFL and millions of fantasy football fans nationwide. They're idols to little kids and have the power to shape futures. They altered sports history and deserve that every facet they were ever associated with be respected for generations to come. Their passion and magnitude should transcend generations, and so should their number. It's their identity on the field.

After all, in your scenario, the kid has been wearing it his whole non-pro career, but it should be worth more to him, than the pro who exploded time and time and time again at the highest professional level? And that number should be worthless to us as fans?

So if some young kid is pissed because he can't wear a number in the pros, then he doesn't understand that number was worn by someone who paved the way for him to even be there, to be watched by millions and loved by thousands (and hated by thousands of other teams' fans)

If you still feel this way, then you do not respect the sport, or the players.

If all Rice (or Montana, or Favre or Marino or Emmit or Payton or Brown) will be to you is "a really good player" "40 or 50 years ago" then you do not respect them, or the game.

Those men, and many more, and certainly Jerry Rice more than most, have changed football into what we have today. They weren't just "really good". They captivated us and captured us. They spawned billion dollar contracts for the NFL and millions of fantasy football fans nationwide. They're idols to little kids and have the power to shape futures. They altered sports history and deserve that every facet they were ever associated with be respected for generations to come. Their passion and magnitude should transcend generations, and so should their number. It's their identity on the field.

After all, in your scenario, the kid has been wearing it his whole non-pro career, but it should be worth more to him, than the pro who exploded time and time and time again at the highest professional level? And that number should be worthless to us as fans?

So if some young kid is pissed because he can't wear a number in the pros, then he doesn't understand that number was worn by someone who paved the way for him to even be there, to be watched by millions and loved by thousands (and hated by thousands of other teams' fans)

If you still feel this way, then you do not respect the sport, or the players.

Still don't get it. You might have missed the point and that's why you are taking a shot at me for my so-called disrespect for what they have done on the field. I also have respect the virtues of the game itself. I won't sit here and judge you (like you have done to me) by saying I might even respect it more. But my point was that you can honor players without retiring the spamshirts. I agree with much of what you said, and agree that the players you named, and many more have built football to what it is today. And I think it is wise and honorable for young players today to recognize who has helped to provide that. However, the jersey number is just a symbol. It's not what made the player great or created the moments we as fans treasure. It's just a number!

Here's an analogy that may help to understand where I am coming from... although I know it bothers others, I have no problem with the burning of the American flag. Many people get bothered by the practice and want to make it illegal. To me, the American flag is more than the cloth it is made from. I believe in what it stands for way beyond some idiot that wants to show his ignorance for how and by who he gained the rights to burn it! To me, he is a uneducated, disrespectful, 110% jacka$$...and I would like to see the sh#t kick outta him! (Which is every other Americans right to do so). But he still has the right to do it. My point is...It's deeper than the cloth...just as it is deeper than the numbers. Celebrate them, hang the jersey, name a street or stadium after them, build a statue...whatever you want but why the retiring of the number? Otherwise, 100 years from now half the numbers will be unusable!!

Edited by millerx

Still don't get it. You might have missed the point and that's why you are taking a shot at me for my so-called disrespect for what they have done on the field. I also have respect the virtues of the game itself. I won't sit here and judge you (like you have done to me) by saying I might even respect it more. But my point was that you can honor players without retiring the spamshirts. I agree with much of what you said, and agree that the players you named, and many more have built football to what it is today. And I think it is wise and honorable for young players today to recognize who has helped to provide that. However, the jersey number is just a symbol. It's not what made the player great or created the moments we as fans treasure. It's just a number!

Here's an analogy that may help to understand where I am coming from... although I know it bothers others, I have no problem with the burning of the American flag. Many people get bothered by the practice and want to make it illegal. To me, the American flag is more than the cloth it is made from. I believe in what it stands for way beyond some idiot that wants to show his ignorance for how and by who he gained the rights to burn it! To me, he is a uneducated, disrespectful, 110% jacka$...and I would like to see the sh#t kick outta him! (Which is every other Americans right to do so). But he still has the right to do it. My point is...It's deeper than the cloth...just as it is deeper than the numbers. Celebrate them, hang the jersey, name a street or stadium after them, build a statue...whatever you want but why the retiring of the number? Otherwise, 100 years from now half the numbers will be unusable!!

I did not take a shot at you. I took a shot at your point of view, because it sort of angered me (more than the burning of the flag too, because i feel teh same exact way you do about that) and because you made 2 points that actually disprove you point.

First you talk about the kid that would be pissed if he can't wear the number, that you go on to say, means nothing. Then in this last post, you say it's a symbol, it's not what made them great.

Yah, IT'S A SYMBOL. A symbol of that person, and a symbol of their greatness and their entire identity on the field.

Your statement that the number is basically worth more to the youngster than it should be to the fans and the history of the league (not the player who wore it as a pro, because they can't choose to retire it, so we'll pretend it doens't mean anything to them, for the sake of debate) makes me wonder what exactly your point is.

Ok it's just a number. the "Montana" and "Marino" and "Favre" above it are more important, but that number, as you said, is a symbol of them and reminds us of the great accomplishments we might have been lucky enough to witness.

It goes deeper than the number, much like the American Flag in your reply. It has more meaning behind it than what we merely see. And besides, we're not talking about burning it, we're talkign about cherishing it.