[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers @ Steelers

Riffraff

Hester had 1 fumble in 19 total rushes. Still makes me nervous. He kind of runs with reckless abandon at times.

Of course, I worry about Bennett and fumbling too.

As for Tomlinson, he's not as expected to play this week:

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, "no one in the Chargers organization truly expects LaDainian Tomlinson to play Sunday at Pittsburgh."

Big Ben cleared to play:

Ben Roethlisberger (concussion) has been medically cleared and confirmed he will start next Sunday against San Diego.

And all the "players/coaches of the year" lost last week. I can only hope the latest winner follows suit:

The Associated Press named Steelers OLB James Harrison Defensive Player of the Year for 2008.
Edited by Riffraff

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you know that the Wayne TD pass was a freebie curtsy of the officiating crew? An incomplete pass must be followed by a whistle that stops the play. But did they? no....they didn't even blow the damn whistle...allowing the Colt offense to audible the lack of a defensive formation to stop a deep pass. Am I a homer? YEP......that TD should never have been allowed to been snapped.

Now..back to your regularly scheduled Guinness.

How many of you know that the Wayne TD pass was a freebie curtsy of the officiating crew? An incomplete pass must be followed by a whistle that stops the play. But did they? no....they didn't even blow the damn whistle...allowing the Colt offense to audible the lack of a defensive formation to stop a deep pass. Am I a homer? YEP......that TD should never have been allowed to been snapped.

Now..back to your regularly scheduled Guinness.

You won't need to worry about the refs after getting pummeled in this weeks game. :wacko:

OK... Here goes.

As stated in the Colts thread, I think the best way to evaluate a game is to look more at the last few games than an entire season. What happened 16 weeks ago is silly to include in today's discussion. If it supports your position, fine, I don't think it reflects the reality of today or this weekend's projected performances. I point to the "joke" of a defense the Colts took into the playoffs the year they won the Superbowl.

What I can say for the Steelers is that they ARE consistant. They are what they are, dealdly on D and efficient enough on O to win a bunch of games. They have been underwhelming on the ground and generally not "scary" in any facet of moving the ball. Those of you who know me, know I believe that defense is key to winning at any level, and the Steelers are second to none in this phase of the game. The Steelers have also been VERY fortunate with ball security issues. They have put the ball on the ground 28 times but only lost ten of those fumbles. Ranked just 22nd in offense, their production has been relatively steady all year. The O-Line is not what it once was and gave up four sacks to a disorganized, vanilla Chargers defense the first time. Big Ben was 31-41 for 308 the first time they played, but I guarantee that if the Steelers have to rely on his arm to win this game, they will lose. The Chargers defense is a totally different unit than the first meeting, and Ben has a tendancy to hold the ball too long. If they were getting to Manning last week, Ben is going to be doing a lot of dancing this week, and he tends to throw picks when that happens. Fortunately for the Steelers, the Chargers' secondary has had hands of stone and dropped three picks last week against the Colts and Manning. The Steelers will not be able to move the ball like they did in the first meeting, and they had trouble putting up nine points.

The Chargers offense is clicking, with or without LT. Rivers is the man in this unit now but that plays right into the strength of the Steelers, their pass defense. Micheal Bennett will be used more this week to rest Sproles and expect to see Hester used in a greater role. Bennett is still a good runner, but he is a "cross your fingers" back with a tendency to put the ball on the ground. Not a good sign in the cold. The unit is clearly much better now than earlier in the season and can have some success, against any defense. There were times they moved the ball well against the Steelers, but TOs (Polomalu's Godlike INT comes to mind), killed some promising drives. The defense will also not allow the Steelers to play keep away (like EVERY offense did before Rivera) the way they did in the first game. This should give Rivers & Co. more opportunities to get on the field and do something. Considering the number of weapons and the great decisions Rivers is making, They should score more than ten points in this game. Say what you want about Norv, but giving him a second shot at a team's D often falls in his favor, at least offensively.

I give the Special Teams of the Chargers the edge in this match up. The Steelers have a solid unit, but Scifres and Sproles have been changing field position all season and the coverage units are very solid. I expect more of this in this game.

Another given is that the Steelers will not be whistled for as many penalties as they were in the first game. This clearly effected the Steelers to an extent, but the inability of the Chargers to stop the dink-and-dunk passing game was the primary factor for their win in the first meeting.

Given the fact that the Steelers couldn't punch the ball in against a lesser Chargers defense in the first game, I think they will have a more difficult time this time around and will not have the long (painful) sustained drives they did the first time. The Chargers are better offensively against a steady unit and should score a little more. The weather is not going to be the factor that Steeler fans hope for. It will be cold, but the Chargers have proven that they can play well in all types of conditions (see AFC Championship last year). The Steelers have been consistently good all year, the Chargers are clearly much improved.

I have also mentioned in other posts that the "Experts" (and DMD still, after today's P&Ps is still a skeptic) and their fans had pretty much given up on the Chargers. The only ones who believed in them were themselves. They are very tight right now and are as close a team as you can get with an "us against the world" mentality. This mind set, added to their playoff experience makes them hard to beat right now. They "Believe"! They have peaked at the right time and are healthier as a team now than when the season started.

The key to this game will be special teams, the offensive lines and the QB play. I don't see either team running effectively. The Chargers tackles have their hands full and the whole unit will have to have their A game in place. The Chargers right tackle, Clary, to me is still more liability than quality. The Steelers O-line is just disappointing to me. It is not the dominant unit that they have been historically (before moving to San Diego at 12, my "teams" were the Dolphins and Steelers, so I have always continued to follow them a little more than other teams). If Ben gets banged around, and I think he will, his head issues come into play. Rivers is, IMO, playing better at the position than any of the remaing playoff teams, especially in the AFC.

I don't see either ground game being effective enough to play a grind-it-out ball game that would favor the Steelers. If this game turns into a shootout, the Steelers will not be able to keep up. I don't see that happening and look for the Chargers to win a game of field position, just like last week, and outscoring the Steelers in a tough, physical and close game.

Chargers 20 - Steelers 13

Very good write-up, McBoog.

The only issue I have is that, though you mentioned the Steeler's penalties in the 1st game, you didn't emphasize how much they killed the Steelers offense. I came out of that game with the frustration that every single time the Steelers got towards mid-field on a drive, they shot themselves in the foot with penalties. I felt like they were moving the ball fine against the Chargers, if you take away the stupid penalties. However, as you mentioned, the Chargers defense is much improved since the last time they played.

It is real simple for me, if the Steelers weak offensive line can do a decent job of protecting Ben, and the Steelers don't turn the ball over, their defense will win this game for them. Will that happen, your guess is as good as mine.

I will say this, I'm officially fired up for Sunday already, and there are still 3 days to wait..... :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

Very good write-up, McBoog.

The only issue I have is that, though you mentioned the Steeler's penalties in the 1st game, you didn't emphasize how much they killed the Steelers offense. I came out of that game with the frustration that every single time the Steelers got towards mid-field on a drive, they shot themselves in the foot with penalties. I felt like they were moving the ball fine against the Chargers, if you take away the stupid penalties. However, as you mentioned, the Chargers defense is much improved since the last time they played.

It is real simple for me, if the Steelers weak offensive line can do a decent job of protecting Ben, and the Steelers don't turn the ball over, their defense will win this game for them. Will that happen, your guess is as good as mine.

I will say this, I'm officially fired up for Sunday already, and there are still 3 days to wait..... :wacko:

Thanx :D

I think you and I really are seeing the game the same way then. Basic, key issue for both teams is the play of the O-lines. The one that plays better will win the game.

I kind of feel that the improvement in the Chargers D and the expectation that the Steellers will not face as many :D , is kind of a wash. This results in little net gain for the Seelers O. This is the real basis for my pick. I wanted to call a shot and put it out there.

Realistically, I think this game is too hard to call. The final score will come down to a few plays. Turnovers, a big play here or there, a key penalty, a good/lucky bounce. Ultimately, I think we will look back on this game and talk about just a few things that made the difference. :D

Do I think the Chargers can go in and win this game... yes. Do I have the confidence to think they will... :D

But, like you, it should be a great game and Sunday is too far away as far as I'm concerned! :D

Thanx :D

I think you and I really are seeing the game the same way then. Basic, key issue for both teams is the play of the O-lines. The one that plays better will win the game.

I kind of feel that the improvement in the Chargers D and the expectation that the Steellers will not face as many :D , is kind of a wash. This results in little net gain for the Seelers O. This is the real basis for my pick. I wanted to call a shot and put it out there.

Realistically, I think this game is too hard to call. The final score will come down to a few plays. Turnovers, a big play here or there, a key penalty, a good/lucky bounce. Ultimately, I think we will look back on this game and talk about just a few things that made the difference. :D

Do I think the Chargers can go in and win this game... yes. Do I have the confidence to think they will... :D

But, like you, it should be a great game and Sunday is too far away as far as I'm concerned! :wacko:

Stop it!! Menudo is the enemy!! He is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvil!! Great game .... great shcame. GO BOLTS!!!!

:D

Stop it!! Menudo is the enemy!! He is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvil!! Great game .... great shcame. GO BOLTS!!!!

Psssst! Bro.... Sun Tzu, The Art of War. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer! :wacko:

Edited by McBoog

Why does this have to be the last game of the weekend ???? :D:wacko:

I kind of like it. ANTICIPA-AY-TION is keeping you wait. At least we will all know what is on the line, and where, going into the game.

I eluded to this in my above post. I have always liked Simms analysis.

Simms last saw the Chargers in person two months ago when they lost 11-10 at Pittsburgh. He said he noticed a difference in their defense that day, but nothing like he saw Saturday as he watched the Chargers beat the Colts.

“I turned to somebody and said, 'This is how they played in the AFC Championship Game (last year) against New England where they actually outplayed the great New England offense,' ” Simms said.

“They were all over the receivers; they put pressure on the quarterback; they never sat back and let themselves be picked apart.“To me, that's when that defense is at its best. It's amazing they've rounded it up here so late in the year; it almost kind of reminds you of the Indianapolis Colts when they won the Super Bowl (two years ago). Their defense stunk the whole year until the playoffs.

”That said, Simms believes the key to any further success by the Chargers will depend on how they play when they have the ball.“To go to the Super Bowl and win it,” he said, “I just think their offense has to be terrific.”

Which brings us back to the performance of the O-line. The better O-line in this game will be the central focus for a win or loss.

Tic

Toc

TIc

Toc

This is gonna be a tough few days! I'm sorry I can't wish you good luck though! :D:D:D:D

Edited by McBoog

I am going to go on a Twiley like drinking binge starting today at about 5pm and I plan to pass out and not wake up until about 4:30pm on Sunday. I will have time to shower, brush teeth, and see the kickoff.

In the interim, will you be seeing Penguins tomorrow afternoon? :wacko:

Realistically, I think this game is too hard to call. The final score will come down to a few plays. Turnovers, a big play here or there, a key penalty, a good/lucky bounce. Ultimately, I think we will look back on this game and talk about just a few things that made the difference. :wacko:

Agree completely...If we take anything from the earlier game this year, it's that they're pretty evenly matched. Chargers O vs. Steelers D...strength vs. strength. I hope the home field and fewer penalties for the Steelers can outweigh the improved SD defense, but that's just a homer wish.

I still want revenge for that 1994 AFC Championship loss to the Bolts in Pittsburgh. That was totally deflating and I was in a bad mood for 2+ weeks after that loss.

I feel you brother. I lived in SD with my then girlfriend who, was a bolt fan, knew nothing of football or the chargers. It was the worst loss in my memory because of the two weeks of squeaking in my ear I had to deal with, plus the numerous bets I had to pay off to the surrounding community. I actually think it ended our relationship....lol.

With regards to this weekend I feel surprisingly optimistic, although I felt that way in 1994 as well. I am heading to SD to seek revenge and watch my beloved team play the bolts with some of the same bolt fans. On the whole I feel good and would much rather be playing the bolts then the colts, which should be my demise, but I just do not see how we can lose.

I feel you brother. I lived in SD with my then girlfriend who, was a bolt fan, knew nothing of football or the chargers. It was the worst loss in my memory because of the two weeks of squeaking in my ear I had to deal with, plus the numerous bets I had to pay off to the surrounding community. I actually think it ended our relationship....lol.

With regards to this weekend I feel surprisingly optimistic, although I felt that way in 1994 as well. I am heading to SD to seek revenge and watch my beloved team play the bolts with some of the same bolt fans. On the whole I feel good and would much rather be playing the bolts then the colts, which should be my demise, but I just do not see how we can lose.

Then you are truly a blind homer, setting yourself up for a horrible disappointment. :D

I would love to see you break the game down to support your optimism. :wacko:

I am heading to SD to seek revenge and watch my beloved team play the bolts with some of the same bolt fans. On the whole I feel good and would much rather be playing the bolts then the colts, which should be my demise, but I just do not see how we can lose.

I welcome you with open arms. I love having all the pieces in place as they were in victory. You being here and getting razzed by fellow Bolt fans is just another.

Stay in LA man, stay in LA!!!!!!

I guess this is how I see my optimism.

Steelers home game. 6-2 currently there this year losing to indy and gmen both by a td.

SD 3-5 on the road winning against Oak, KC and TB in the mist of their 0 for 5 slump at the end of their season.

Cold weather

West coming east 1-3 or 2-4 if you include KC and NO

LT and Gates not healthy (not that I like that, but it is an advantage)

SD kicker is hurt in the cold at Heinz field

SD punter in the cold (he was amazing last week), but the cold will effect kicking

Heath Miller is back and helps Ben to some degree

Ben passed for over 300 first match up

Willie ran for over 100 our last match

We had 115 yards in penalties to Bolts 5 yards, this will not happen again for sure

Both teams missed a fg

Wahingtons Td was called back in first match up due to penalty and Polamalus TD was not overturned

We scuffed a 4th and goal in last match up

Steelers coming off a bye to heal up we needed it

Bolts coming off an ot win and have been playing hard ball for 5 weeks to make this game

SD ranked 31st on pass defense Pit is ranked #1

On paper in first match up we dominated, but failed to put the ball in the end zone this will need to be rectified and soon

Defense wins championships

Steelers 20, Chargers 10

but that is why we play the game. Good luck to you and yours SD I will be at Yogi's in Cardiff by the Sea wearing my Bleier jersey drinking a beer and either crying in it or laughing with my friends.

Good Luck to all!