[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would the Chargers really release L.T?

irish

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/23/...a-reduced-deal/

RUMORS FLY THAT L.T. WON’T TAKE A REDUCED DEAL

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2009, 2:37 p.m. EST

Though no specific reports have surfaced regarding the outcome of Sunday’s efforts to strike a new deal for Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, a league source tells us that there’s talk of Tomlinson refusing to reduce his current compensation level.

If true, this sets the stage for the Chargers and Tomlinson to part ways, either by a trade or by Tomlinson being released.

The problem, as the source explained it to us, is ego. With running back Darren Sproles certain to be paid $6.6 million for 2009, and likely to get a multi-year contract that averages close to that amount, Tomlinson won’t want to be making less than Sproles.

So even if another team wouldn’t pay Tomlinson as much as the Chargers would pay to keep him around, the thinking is that Tomlinson would be more willing to take less total dollars from another team than to suffer the perceived indignity of having to take a pay cut to stay put.

-------------------------------------------------------

Some fantasy ballers out there believe that LT has already peeked and that his best days are behind him. Others feel that he's still at the top of his game and that even though his record setting days are a thing of the past, he can still be a Top 3-5 Fantasy RB. Obviously his numbers continue to dip as each year passes and he's made it known that he wants to retire from the game while he's still young and has his health. The question is, if LT doesn't re-do his deal, would the Chargers really release him? I mean if they traded him that's a different story as they'd be getting value back but flat-out releasing him and getting nothing. I can't see that.

Thoughts... Homers...

Edited by irish

What do they believe that LT saw when he "peeked"? :wacko:

:D

Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, DeAngelo Williams, his old teammate-Michael Turner and a couple other RBs passing him and taking his spot as higher ranked fantasy backs. Along with seeing the light quickly approaching as his career is coming to a close.

About a month ago LT said publicly he would take a cut to stay with the Chargers.

Now I understand Sproles deal has transpired since then but bad PR or not, LT will be cut if he's not willing to take less to stay.

I love LT but he clearly lost some of his burst last year.

Believe me....if LT doesn't restructure his contract to AJ's liking, he's GONE!!!!

And do you feel that AJ would be soon after?

i disagree on Smith.

while he can come off as arrogant, he's not afraid to make tough decisions.

we've got a talented football team and to say he's not deserving of credit for much of that is wrong.

no one wants to see things end badly with LT2, but that's up to LT2 as much as it is the organization.

nothing lasts forever. remember, even Michael Jordan didn't retire a Bull.....at least the last time.

He's made some good decisions but running Marty out of town at a late date still bugs me.

His timing made it where all the good coaches were gone and he hired Norv.

Hate to see it, but I think the next couple years are going to be bad with Norv running things.

He's made some good decisions but running Marty out of town at a late date still bugs me.

His timing made it where all the good coaches were gone and he hired Norv.

Hate to see it, but I think the next couple years are going to be bad with Norv running things.

+1

The window closes this year IMO. Unless.....UNLESS somehow a RB falls into there lap during the draft.

How come they didn't release Chris Chambers? Is he 'cheap' enough to keep?

I don't have in depth contract info but he's due to make 4.55 mill this year. This is a contract year for him as well so he could possibly post some good numbers in hopes for 1 last good contract.

pssssssssst!!! Hey Marvin!! San Diego is beautiful man!! BEAUTIFUL!!

I don't see that happening unless AJ can get him CHEAP!

:wacko: I know but wouldn't it be great? VJ would go nuts with Marvin here. Our window is closing!!!

I'm actually hoping we sign Gibril Wilson over anybody else.

Edited by tazinib1

PFT made an interesting point... Smith is being very reluctant to tip his cards regarding LT... does the delay have anything to do with the Season Ticket Holder's deadline of February 28th to pay for their upcoming season?

Wait until he gets his ticket holders locked in, then cuts LT... This guy could be worse than Al. :wacko:

PFT made an interesting point... Smith is being very reluctant to tip his cards regarding LT... does the delay have anything to do with the Season Ticket Holder's deadline of February 28th to pay for their upcoming season?
Good fans are going to support their team by buying season tickets regardless if LT is there or not. LT is only 1/53rd of the team and he won't be there forever. I honestly think that the season ticket deadline has nothing to do with whether LT was going to be released or not.

A local sports TV show reported tonight that there's a rumor New Orleans would be interested in acquiring LT should renegotiations fail.

A local sports TV show reported tonight that there's a rumor New Orleans would be interested in acquiring LT should renegotiations fail.

Bush and LT in the same backfield... teacher and apprentice...

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master"

Edited by kpholmes

Dont underestimate what that toe injury can make a RB look like. If he comes back fully healed next year dont be surprised to see there is still an elite back in LT and people eating crow.

Another rumor:

I talked to a friend today who knows someone in the Chargers organization. Word is they're close to a 3 year deal with LT at $6 million plus per year (just a little over what Sproles is going to receive).

Another rumor:

I talked to a friend today who knows someone in the Chargers organization. Word is they're close to a 3 year deal with LT at $6 million plus per year (just a little over what Sproles is going to receive).

That....would...be...AWESOME!!!!

And quite the scoop I might add.