[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Idea for week 17 leagues

Henry Muto

I have been thinking about this a lot this week since my leagues have always gone into week 17. Maybe I am just snake bitten this year because every single player I have is either in the playoffs or got hurt and I am for sure going to lose in 1 of my leagues.

What my idea is..is this. If your league plays the title game in week 17 you can have the option of leaving the position blank for week 17 and playing your player in their 1st playoff game.

As an example I will use 1 of my teams.

QB-Rivers, Palmer, Garrard

RB - LT, P-Thomas, S-Jackson, Slaton, Mike Bell

WR - R-Moss, V-Jackson, Marshall, Boldin, Welker, Gates, Smith (Car)

K - Prater, Reed

DL - Peppers, M-Williams

LB - Harrison, Porter

DB - Troy P, A-Wilison

Ok so for my line up this week I could go

QB - Playoffs (Most likely Rivers)

RB - Playoffs (LT)

RB - Playoffs (P-Thomas or M-Bell)

WR - Playoffs (R-Moss)

WR - Playoffs (V-Jax or Boldin or Welker or Gates)

WR - Playoffs (V-Jax or Boldin or Welker or Gates)

K - Prater

DL - Peppers

LB - Harrison

DB - Playoffs (Wilson)

So going into week 1 of the playoffs I would then select my QB (either use Palmer depending on match up or if I don't use him I am forced to use Rivers no matter what since he is my last QB on my roster regardless of match up week 2 of the playoffs)

And so on.

So what do you think ? The downside it takes 1-2 weeks to crown your champion but it would make the season last longer and always make it a fair game.

Edited by Henry Muto

How about instead of looking forward, you get to pick a week in the past, and choose players from that week?

Like "I'll take Brees in week 7, LT in week 15, Moss in week 16, etc . . . "

Makes just as much sense.

What happens if somebody is sitting in Week 17 and then gets a bye in the WC weekend? Do you wait until the next round to get a start out of them? When do you have to declare? Because if the answer is when Week 17 lineups are due, the above situation could occur. The think the whole idea would be a complete mess. But it looks like this is a dynasty league, so I would think you would still have a chance to trade future picks for a cheap starter if some of your guys are benched. After that, since the owners are pretty consistent, I'd start lobbying now to take a vote and change to Week 16.

How about instead of looking forward, you get to pick a week in the past, and choose players from that week?

Like "I'll take Brees in week 7, LT in week 15, Moss in week 16, etc . . . "

Makes just as much sense.

It makes perfect sense. You have Rivers and you know he is playing a playoff game and have no idea what he will score.

So instead of starting a piece of crap like Garrard in your title game you start Rivers in the playoffs.

Not complex. Your idea is stupid and not helping at all since no one would ever just pick the pts they get from a past week...if you have nothing worthwhile to say please keep it shut. Thanks.

What happens if somebody is sitting in Week 17 and then gets a bye in the WC weekend? Do you wait until the next round to get a start out of them? When do you have to declare? Because if the answer is when Week 17 lineups are due, the above situation could occur. The think the whole idea would be a complete mess. But it looks like this is a dynasty league, so I would think you would still have a chance to trade future picks for a cheap starter if some of your guys are benched. After that, since the owners are pretty consistent, I'd start lobbying now to take a vote and change to Week 16.

You can wait to declare right up until you pick a player for that position. So if your QBs are say Brady and Warner and that is all you have and you elect not to play either week 17 then once you see the playoff match ups for week 1 you can pick your QB just right before they start their game just like any other week...just once you select one and he starts his game then your locked. If one has a bye say Arizona gets a bye and Brady plays vs say the NYJ in round 1 you could say I don't like that match up and wait and not select your QB in the 1st week of the playoffs.

If NE loses then you must start Warner but if Brady wins then you still have an option in the 2nd round of the playoffs you could pick either one.

I love this idea the more I think about it. One thing is for sure either this idea should be used in conjuction with week 17 or your season should end week 16. The problem with week 16 ending in 1 of my leagues is we use 12 teams 3 divions of 4 teams with same playoff structure as the NFL 6 playoff teams 2 byes ect so we have to have 14 games to get everyone to play everyone else plus 6 division games. So either you have to cut out playing a team once or cut out playing a division team twice makes little sense so we need 17 weeks for this league. This to me is the best idea to use week 17 plus it makes your championship game that much more fun you get to watch your players play every single play since all playoff games are on tv and it just doesn't last 1 day.

You should account for this when drafting your team. They write the schedule before the season starts. You should look at the schedule. Look at your roster. A lot of the players you drafted play for playoff caliber teams, and most of them played for teams that had a very high probability of being playoff teams back when you drafted them. I see this thread as someone whining because they did not plan ahead, and when they were dealt the ramifications of the poor planning, instead of admitting to their indiscrection, they instead whined about the rules, made excuses, and are now looking at a way of justifying their whining. Dude. Use some foresight when you draft. It really is that simple.

There have been a lot of idiotic ideas around here, I won't say this is the most idiotic and random ideas I have seen here, but you get my point.

You should account for this when drafting your team. They write the schedule before the season starts. You should look at the schedule. Look at your roster. A lot of the players you drafted play for playoff caliber teams, and most of them played for teams that had a very high probability of being playoff teams back when you drafted them. I see this thread as someone whining because they did not plan ahead, and when they were dealt the ramifications of the poor planning, instead of admitting to their indiscrection, they instead whined about the rules, made excuses, and are now looking at a way of justifying their whining. Dude. Use some foresight when you draft. It really is that simple.

There have been a lot of idiotic ideas around here, I won't say this is the most idiotic and random ideas I have seen here, but you get my point.

I guess you never heard of a dynasty league ?

Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith (Car), Antonio Gates and Anquan Boldin.

That is 7 super star receivers I have built onto my team over the course of the 13 years I have been in league. I should be punished because all of them made the playoffs (or unlucky for me got hurt week 16 in Smith and Marshall's case)

So Now I have to go to the waiver wire and pick up the likes of Heap, Gaffney and god knows what else since teams carry 45 player rosters here.

Also how unlucky was I to have both Rivers and Palmer the same year both decide to make the playoffs ?

At RB I got LT, P-Thomas, M-Bell, Slaton and S-Jackson...all hurt or are resting.

Seriously I could do nothing here this year.

Week 16 title game or week 17 + playoffs

This has been the worse year in the history of the 20 years I have played fantasy football for teams resting players.

I have never seen this carnage before.

If your league uses week 17, that was the leagues choice, deal with it. Start who is available on your roster

and quit biatching. Your league, your rules. You joined the league, so you should of know the rules going in.

Personally, the only way I would join a league that uses week 17 is a total points league with no H2H.

I guess you never heard of a dynasty league ?

Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith (Car), Antonio Gates and Anquan Boldin.

That is 7 super star receivers I have built onto my team over the course of the 13 years I have been in league. I should be punished because all of them made the playoffs (or unlucky for me got hurt week 16 in Smith and Marshall's case)

So Now I have to go to the waiver wire and pick up the likes of Heap, Gaffney and god knows what else since teams carry 45 player rosters here.

Also how unlucky was I to have both Rivers and Palmer the same year both decide to make the playoffs ?

At RB I got LT, P-Thomas, M-Bell, Slaton and S-Jackson...all hurt or are resting.

Seriously I could do nothing here this year.

Week 16 title game or week 17 + playoffs

This has been the worse year in the history of the 20 years I have played fantasy football for teams resting players.

I have never seen this carnage before.

Sure, played in many dynasties and have traded three Colts in the last five years because I was tired of having them on my bench when I needed them most, and that was only through week 16! Seriously, all but two of your receivers were favored to win their division. You have not one, but two WR's from a team that makes the playoffs for a living. You have a RB that almost never finishes the season and another that is aging. I would be willing to bet that you saw this coming before the season even started, yet did NOTHING about it anyways.

If I look at my roster halfway through my draft and it looks like all my guys play for good teams, I purposely take a few guys on subpar teams for this exact reason. You knew the rules and you knew your roster. I'm sorry that your players teams actually played up to their expectations, so you can be said you were a little unlucky, but the large majority of your predicament is your own doing. Now you don't want to sleep in the bed you made.

Edited by Seahawks21

You can wait to declare right up until you pick a player for that position. So if your QBs are say Brady and Warner and that is all you have and you elect not to play either week 17 then once you see the playoff match ups for week 1 you can pick your QB just right before they start their game just like any other week...just once you select one and he starts his game then your locked. If one has a bye say Arizona gets a bye and Brady plays vs say the NYJ in round 1 you could say I don't like that match up and wait and not select your QB in the 1st week of the playoffs.

If NE loses then you must start Warner but if Brady wins then you still have an option in the 2nd round of the playoffs you could pick either one.

I love this idea the more I think about it. One thing is for sure either this idea should be used in conjuction with week 17 or your season should end week 16. The problem with week 16 ending in 1 of my leagues is we use 12 teams 3 divions of 4 teams with same playoff structure as the NFL 6 playoff teams 2 byes ect so we have to have 14 games to get everyone to play everyone else plus 6 division games. So either you have to cut out playing a team once or cut out playing a division team twice makes little sense so we need 17 weeks for this league. This to me is the best idea to use week 17 plus it makes your championship game that much more fun you get to watch your players play every single play since all playoff games are on tv and it just doesn't last 1 day.

I actually like the idea. I think it only makes sense for the purposes of dynasty leagues, but I totally understand your thinking. You like your current regular and playoff structure. This is an alternative that allows you to keep it. Like you stated, the only sticking point is the couple of extra weeks you'd have to wait for payouts. Good luck convincing the rest of your leaguemates.