[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keep 1 of these 3 RB's

ljbrun

- PPR, Keep 2 league, no cost associated with keepers, 15 player roster so 13 round serpentine draft, 14 teams

- Start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE Flex, K, D/ST

- trades are allowed right now, including trades for draft picks

- after all teams have declared their 2 keepers (around July/Aug) trades are allowed so you may or may not have 2 on your roster while drafting

- I'll be drafting 11th

My #1 keeper is Larry Fitzgerald

#2 is up in the air, probably Benson or Pierre Thomas - other possibilities include Beanie Wells or Boldin

I might be able to package the 11th with either Benson or Thomas to move up to the 8th or 9th draft spot.

Who would you try to trade? Who would you keep?

Edited by ljbrun

I'd try to trade Boldin and 2 of the 3 backs and keep the 3rd.

If I had to pick one today it'd be a tough call. Right now I say Wells on upside.

Tomorrow maybe someone else :wacko:

Pierre splits time the way Payton runs the backs.

Benson has history against him. Maybe he's turned it around but I'd always look for better options

Thanks for the replies. I also like Wells, a lot, but just have a feeling that of the 3 he is the most likely to fall to me in the 1st round.

Right now I think I'm going to try to package Benson and the 11th to move up to 8th or 9th. I may flip a coin between Thomas and Wells.

I'm really undecided and go back and forth on this each day.

As of now, all 3 of the RBs have very similar value this early, so I would basically offer someone's choice of them for the opportunity to move up in the draft. It is essentially a free move up in the draft for you, so would be foolish not to do it.

Does any team have just one stud and not much else that you could try a 2 for 1 deal with, thus providing you with a better 2nd keeper? That is another option to try look at for a trade.

Heck, even try to do both. For example, package Beanie and Wells to a team that is pretty weak except for 1 stud, thus providing you with a better keeper, then deal Thomas and the 11 for the upgrade in the first round.

You end up with a better first round pick and a better keeper all at the cost of players you wouldn't have been keeping anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing, i have the same 3 backs...benson, thomas and wells, and i plan on keeping Wells......seems to have more upside....New Orlleans backfield is too crowded.....Benson had a solid year, but they ran him....a LOT.......might start showing wear and tear....

they brought Wells along slowly, and he started putting up decent numbers at end of year, which i Hope carries over to next season..Hightower will still be in the mix, but i think next season sees the shift to 60% wells, 40% hightower...

I would go with Benson and if keeping Fitz, then I might try to trade for a Mojo Drew or another keeper you like as much as Fitz b/c no Boldin and new QB (either Anderson or Leinart) will lower Fitz's numbers some. Just some, but you may be able to get a little more in a trade.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thanks again. Just thought I'd let you know I ended up keeping Wells and letting Thomas and Benson go in 2 separate trades. I moved from 1.12 to 1.9 and 3.12 to 3.2.. not big moves, but as Big Country pointed out it's just costing me players I wouldn't be keeping anyway. There was only one team with a solitary stud that I could try a 2 for 1 deal, but he just wasn't giving up Chris Johnson for anything. Anyway I'm pleased since trades in this league have been hard to come by.

I'd try to trade Boldin and 2 of the 3 backs and keep the 3rd.

If I had to pick one today it'd be a tough call. Right now I say Wells on upside.

Tomorrow maybe someone else :wacko:

Pierre splits time the way Payton runs the backs.

Benson has history against him. Maybe he's turned it around but I'd always look for better options

Good info here. I'd probably key on keeping Thomas, but if someone really gives you a great deal for Boldin/Thomas, then perhaps you keep Wells.

I'm with the majority here, even though you've already made your discision. Wells is in one of the best positions as a RB in the 2010 season with Werner retiring and TH not a valid threat in the backfield. He could potentially have some monster numbers this year, less injury of course. I have him in 3 of my leagues and SOOO glad I do.

Hey, thanks again. Just thought I'd let you know I ended up keeping Wells and letting Thomas and Benson go in 2 separate trades. I moved from 1.12 to 1.9 and 3.12 to 3.2.. not big moves, but as Big Country pointed out it's just costing me players I wouldn't be keeping anyway. There was only one team with a solitary stud that I could try a 2 for 1 deal, but he just wasn't giving up Chris Johnson for anything. Anyway I'm pleased since trades in this league have been hard to come by.

Those are pretty solid ups - wait until you're on the clock at 1.9 and realize "wow, there are only two guys I really love here, I'd be sweating rocks if I were at 1.12" - happens all the time.

If you find yourself in this situation again, try to package a 2-for-1 with an owner that's weak. For example, the guy with Ray Rice and Joe Namath as his best two options might enjoy going into the draft with both Wells and Benson and you get a top-5 ADP guy in the process.

Benson won't split carries as much as Wells will

I keep Benson Cincy is a 1 RB team

I think TH will be primarly used for blocking and check downs. Not much in the running game. Also, AZ has to deal with the incompetence of Leinart / Anderson while Cincy will need to get Palmer back to his old throwing ways. Granted, there isn't a solid #2 back in Cincy.

I just see Wells getting allot more production than Benson in the 2010 season but I also have a dog in this fight.

I thought that last season about TH

turns out he is a pretty good reciever as well

TH will do more than Block for Wells

He won't block for Wells, they have FB's for that. He will play pass protect for either Leinart or Anderson and Wells is weak at pass protection. It's a totally different world not having Werner and the offense will also be a totally different monster as well.

TH is a great receiver, but horrid through the tackles.

Edited by BearBroncos

Those are pretty solid ups - wait until you're on the clock at 1.9 and realize "wow, there are only two guys I really love here, I'd be sweating rocks if I were at 1.12" - happens all the time.

If you find yourself in this situation again, try to package a 2-for-1 with an owner that's weak. For example, the guy with Ray Rice and Joe Namath as his best two options might enjoy going into the draft with both Wells and Benson and you get a top-5 ADP guy in the process.

The guy I traded 1st round picks with (along with Benson) was basically sitting there with only Chris Johnson as a legit keeper. While I tried, he just wasn't going to give him up.

The other 2 teams with MJD and Rice appeared to have good options for 2nd keepers, so I didn't bother. Funny thing is, the guy with Rice just cut down to his 2 keepers a couple of days ago (way ahead of schedule). He dropped Miles Austin and Marques Colsten in favor of keeping Brees as his 2nd keeper. He has 5th pick and I can't help but wonder what trade possibilities might have been available. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if Benson, Thomas & Wells are very close to the same in fantasy scoring this year. However, the more I thought about it, the more I felt that Wells would have greater value beyond 2010.

I've had 3 DE drafts so far. Oddly enough, I haven't been in a position to snag any of these 3 RB's in any of those drafts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm. I'm in the minority here, but I keep Thomas. It's PPR and he will see 10-15 carries per game plus 3-5 receptions per game. Wells will see a similar number of carries, except Hightower gets the receptions. Not to mention the Saints will be scoring much more often than the depleted Cardinals offense this season...