[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dez Bryant #88 ?

Scooby's Hubby

Most good programs like mentioned before can't retire numbers. Think of all the superstar Steelers? How could you retire just a couple of them. Who would you pick, so they retired none of those from the Super Bowls.

But they have retired one and only one player. He just died semi-recently. Any non-Steelers know who?

He was my Dad's favorite.

:wacko:http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=319371

Ernie Staunter #70

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, Irvin made 88 something to be revered and respected? Bryant is perfect for 88, although Pearson gives the number some modicum of respect. If Bryant can only have HALF the trouble Irvin had, he'll be a model citizen by Dallas standards.

What, Irvin made 88 something to be revered and respected? Bryant is perfect for 88, although Pearson gives the number some modicum of respect. If Bryant can only have HALF the trouble Irvin had, he'll be a model citizen by Dallas standards.

I was in College in the early 90's so speaking for my generation, yes, Irvin IMO is the best WR to ever wear the Cowboy uniform. The Playmaker was part of the best Super Bowl run in franchise history only to be toppled by his own owner :wacko: , oh yeah, and a neck injury :tup: ( a sad day in my life)

...but right most of you are in that in football it is hard to retire players' numbers b/c of the limited numbers for each position. I am just being silly. However, I may just have to make my own jersey with Dez on the back like I did with Fletch.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I was in College in the early 90's so speaking for my generation, yes, Irvin IMO is the best WR to ever wear the Cowboy uniform. The Playmaker was part of the best Super Bowl run in franchise history only to be toppled by his own owner :wacko: , oh yeah, and a neck injury :tup: ( a sad day in my life)

Two words, one name.... Bob Hayes. I just have some trouble with respecting a player who was such a screw up like Irvin, as talented as he was. I watched the Cowboys under Landry. He made the Cowboys. He made the players who played for him. He made every one of them better. The Lnadry Cowboys will always be the Cowboys I remmeber, like the legend at GB, or Shula.

Irvin.... 88... perfect number for a kid who comes into the NFL with issues and a ton of talent.

Ernie was a class act. After a game when I was about 12, my dad said 'There's Ernie Stautner, get his autograph'. I went over and asked Mr. Stautner if i could have his autograph. I had no pen. He signed my program with his own pen, and then let me keep it. One of many great memories I have of attending cowboys games back in their hey day.

No, I don't still have the pen. Lost it at school within a week. Dammit. :tup:

Irvin partied harder toward the end of his career, note after Jimmy was run out was when we began to hear about Irvin's ways, Jimmy was not there to keep it all quiet. So he partied. He didn't break any laws other than victimless crimes, a victim to the relentless groupies - he is no woman beater and he is no real criminal, just guilty of wanting to party ( a party which progressed to recreational cocaine use). I used to party there at the Dallas Cowboys Sports Bar and Grill on McAurther in Valley Ranch, I have seen James Washington get mad at the same 2 sisters that were involved with Irvin (2 little rich firls from Plano at the time, but boy did they morph into major trouble). I saw Tuinei in the parking lot (doing who knows what). I have seen Jimmy, Tuinei, Alfredo Roberts and others eating at Mi Cocina on Tuesday nights (Jimmy always ate at the Mi Cocina on Forest Lane on Tues, usually with Tuinei). Jimmy held it down and Jerry didn't realize the "other" things that Jimmy provded like being a real friend to players like Irvin. Irvin was a leader in the locker room, on the field and he wore his heart on his sleeve. NO OTHER COWBOY has ever had his passion for Super Bowls and wins and maybe even for his fellow teamates. NO OTHER COWBOY WR has come close to doing what Irvin did on the field or in the locker room. Irvin and Aikman ran that team and they won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years b/c of those 2, noone else. Irvin and his slant route always came through. You knew where he was going and you still could not stop him. He even had the refs on his side (loved his push off). I am 36 and a die hard Cowboy fan all of my short life. The Landry ways are over, no coach has that kind of control anymore, nor are they really allowed to (a coach cannot even wear a suit on the sidelines). My father and I were very sad when Jerry ran Landry out the way he did. And in fact, I am convinced that even the Jimmy Johnson days will never return (where a coach gets 100% control). Dallas will never have another #88 like Irvin. Dez is no leader, Dez didn't grow up like Irvin, Dez does not even have a fraction of the heart Irvin does, Dez can't rally the sidelines and make even the defense play better. No Cowboy has ever been like Irvin in that regard, no Cowboy has ever been so listened to on the sidelines or able to rally the troops and then back it up on the field. None of them (at least not on the offensive side of the ball, b/c some of you may say Bob Lilly). Not like Irvin. Noone can replace the playmaker. Period. Go listen to his HOF speech again, then go find me that player somehwere else. Find me someone who cared like he did, find me another PlayMaker. Good luck, it won't happen. Truly, one of a kind.

Irvin and Aikman ran that team and they won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years b/c of those 2, noone else.

and here I thought they won the 3 Super Bowls because of the team's salary that allowed Aikman and Irvin the pieces around them to be successful in a team sport. :wacko:

and here I thought they won the 3 Super Bowls because of the team's salary that allowed Aikman and Irvin the pieces around them to be successful in a team sport. :wacko:

those pieces were awe inspired by Irvin's relentless passion for his teammates, the game and his coaches...guys like Erik Williams were told when to get serious by Irvin; those guys (actually many of the Cowboys on the 92-95 teams) partied pretty hard and Irvin was the only guy able to make them get serious and get in shape for camp and when to get their game faces on. He could tell on the sidelines who needed motivation and had no problem straightening anyone out, big or small...And when you throw in his achievements on the field, the first downs, TDs and the rest of the numbers, he is close to the best WR of all time for Dallas. IMO the best and a true icon of Dallas Cowboy football. I love the guy, can't you tell? Now I am also a Cowboy purist of sorts who appreciates the Moose's, the Bill Bates and the Charlie Waters/Cliff Harris players, don't get me wrong.

His partying hurt his announcing career the most...he was good at it, too. I liked seeing him on Sunday mornings, usually.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

those pieces were awe inspired by Irvin's relentless passion for his teammates, the game and his coaches...guys like Erik Williams were told when to get serious by Irvin; those guys (actually many of the Cowboys on the 92-95 teams) partied pretty hard and Irvin was the only guy able to make them get serious and get in shape for camp and when to get their game faces on. He could tell on the sidelines who needed motivation and had no problem straightening anyone out, big or small...And when you throw in his achievements on the field, the first downs, TDs and the rest of the numbers, he is close to the best WR of all time for Dallas. IMO the best and a true icon of Dallas Cowboy football. I love the guy, can't you tell? Now I am also a Cowboy purist of sorts who appreciates the Moose's, the Bill Bates and the Charlie Waters/Cliff Harris players, don't get me wrong.

His partying hurt his announcing career the most...he was good at it, too. I liked seeing him on Sunday mornings, usually.

So - it had nothing to do with a lack of a salary cap and how much the money Dallas threw around?

So - it had nothing to do with a lack of a salary cap and how much the money Dallas threw around?

No. Since when did the highest payroll guarantee you a championship? Back to Dez and Irvin, I really cannot get into Dez having #88, I think with he being a 1st rounder, I had hoped he could get another number to make his own instead of 88. Bums me out. Now, if it was an undrafted or late round guy and/or a longshot to make the team wearing 88 then I could handle it better. I have big hopes for Dez and want him to ultimately, be the go to guy at WR for years to come. Really the concern for Dallas (which I will be sure to follow this year at camp) will be which receiver will be traded, Hurd or Crayton? If not both.I am already feeling the crowded house. I also would not be suprised to see Marty B go, if there is still any hype left to get what Dallas considers fair value.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Since when did the highest payroll guarantee you a championship?

Since when do you have to be guaranteed to win something to win something?

How do you think a team with a 1 mill salary cap would do against your typical NFL team?

If you feel like they wouldn't do too well - than salary matters - its not everything - but it matters.

An all star oline gave the passing game time. A HoF running back took pressure off the passing game and an amazing defense allowed a QB with mediocre numbers (approx 14 TDs, 12 INTs and 2,750 yards per season over his career) to win games. All those pieces cost money

I hope Dez turns out to be a great pro and I hope he puts up better numbers than Irvin

I think it was the Dallas offensive line that made that team great. One of the best O lines in NFL history. Aikman, Irvin and Smith were great players, but it was that line that made that team so good IMO. Every time I think of that team, I always seem to also remember Leon Lett.... and that play in the snow.

All 3, Emmitt, Troy and Irvin were first round picks. I am suprised you did not mention Darren Woodsen, Cowboys all time leading tackler...Larry Allen 2nd Erik Williams 3rd. The last Cowboys OL to go in 1st round was Jacob Rogers, injury bust to be nice. Jimmy Johnson never drafted any OL in the 1st, he eyed talent better than anyone and I would actually give him the most credit, especially the herschel walker move. We now use Jimmy's draft values system like einstein used the periodic table.

With all the varied personalites, it was Irvin who could rally the troops in all ranks. No Cowboy WR has ever ruled the locker room and sidelines like Irvin. Those 3 1st round personalities had to get along and I believe that Jimmy used Irvin as the glue for the whole locker room and on the practice field (it helped that Emmitt bought the Rolexes for the OL and Irvin knew how to party with the OL). You have to say that Tuenei, Erik Williams and Nate Newton were way into the party scene in Valley Ranch. Irvin knew how to use that mouth and brain of his for the benefit of the team. Loudmouth was not the Landry way, but Irvin was of a new generation of WRs and came into the league with perfect timing. Here is why I love Michael Irvin, here is his HOF in acceptance speech in print (not video) ... and yes, he reminds us of why those teams were so good...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07...tory?id=2961687

Irvin partied harder toward the end of his career, note after Jimmy was run out was when we began to hear about Irvin's ways, Jimmy was not there to keep it all quiet. So he partied. He didn't break any laws other than victimless crimes, a victim to the relentless groupies - he is no woman beater and he is no real criminal, just guilty of wanting to party ( a party which progressed to recreational cocaine use). I used to party there at the Dallas Cowboys Sports Bar and Grill on McAurther in Valley Ranch, I have seen James Washington get mad at the same 2 sisters that were involved with Irvin (2 little rich firls from Plano at the time, but boy did they morph into major trouble). I saw Tuinei in the parking lot (doing who knows what). I have seen Jimmy, Tuinei, Alfredo Roberts and others eating at Mi Cocina on Tuesday nights (Jimmy always ate at the Mi Cocina on Forest Lane on Tues, usually with Tuinei). Jimmy held it down and Jerry didn't realize the "other" things that Jimmy provded like being a real friend to players like Irvin. Irvin was a leader in the locker room, on the field and he wore his heart on his sleeve. NO OTHER COWBOY has ever had his passion for Super Bowls and wins and maybe even for his fellow teamates. NO OTHER COWBOY WR has come close to doing what Irvin did on the field or in the locker room. Irvin and Aikman ran that team and they won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years b/c of those 2, noone else. Irvin and his slant route always came through. You knew where he was going and you still could not stop him. He even had the refs on his side (loved his push off). I am 36 and a die hard Cowboy fan all of my short life. The Landry ways are over, no coach has that kind of control anymore, nor are they really allowed to (a coach cannot even wear a suit on the sidelines). My father and I were very sad when Jerry ran Landry out the way he did. And in fact, I am convinced that even the Jimmy Johnson days will never return (where a coach gets 100% control). Dallas will never have another #88 like Irvin. Dez is no leader, Dez didn't grow up like Irvin, Dez does not even have a fraction of the heart Irvin does, Dez can't rally the sidelines and make even the defense play better. No Cowboy has ever been like Irvin in that regard, no Cowboy has ever been so listened to on the sidelines or able to rally the troops and then back it up on the field. None of them (at least not on the offensive side of the ball, b/c some of you may say Bob Lilly). Not like Irvin. Noone can replace the playmaker. Period. Go listen to his HOF speech again, then go find me that player somehwere else. Find me someone who cared like he did, find me another PlayMaker. Good luck, it won't happen. Truly, one of a kind.

So how long are you going to continue to ride this mans leg??

I think it was the Dallas offensive line that made that team great. One of the best O lines in NFL history. Aikman, Irvin and Smith were great players, but it was that line that made that team so good IMO. Every time I think of that team, I always seem to also remember Leon Lett.... and that play in the snow.

Exactly, which means....... wait for it......... Aikman, Irvin and Smith would not have been half the palyers they turned out to be. Period the end. Not to mention the gobs of dinero thrown at that line alone is mind boggling. Get over the manlove dude, football is the ultimate team sport. To say two players alone were the reason a team won a single SB is uneducated at best. 3 SB'S? now that is just plain stupid.

Exactly, which means....... wait for it......... Aikman, Irvin and Smith would not have been half the palyers they turned out to be. Period the end. Not to mention the gobs of dinero thrown at that line alone is mind boggling. Get over the manlove dude, football is the ultimate team sport. To say two players alone were the reason a team won a single SB is uneducated at best. 3 SB'S? now that is just plain stupid.

Wait, so your saying that Cleveland is not two players away from winning the Super Bowl?